Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Very happy to have my new pentax

I am quite pleased with my new K7. Shutter count was 223 after first picture I shot. I then installed current version 1.11 firmware which uploaded fine. The pentax k7 camera & all accessories look perfect. I can relax finally. The camera works great thus far & leaves no doubt in my mind that it is new - not a return or open box like I was worried about. Happy to keep it!

Learned a valuable lesson I wont repeat. Trust and company reputation are worth quite a bit more than the ultimate 'cheapest price'. I had always worked with reputable on-line retailers & took it for granted that people should always be honest. I was excited to save a hundred bucks at first, but then about lost a weeks worth of sleep (& my $ maybe!) after reading the horrible on-line reviews. The outcome looked grim, & maybe very grim. It all worked out but lesson learned for sure. I feel really lucky!

just one question, are your K7 'operating manual' & 'quick guide' in color?

02-01-2011, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
A few pics from hawaii (not taken with K7) Cant wait to try out the new K7!
Attached Images

02-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by oahutodd Quote

just one question, are your K7 'operating manual' & 'quick guide' in color?
No, it's in black and white. Even the digital one doesn't have colors in it.
02-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations for your new camera. You will love it.

The instruction manual is in B&W unfortunately.

02-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here.
Enjoy the K-7. Don't mind the ordinary manual, it's the camera that matters - as long as you get out of the manual what you need to operate the camera to its fullest, it can be overlooked.
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

It's actually easier to read black and white than color, and that's the reason for it. Nothing to do with the cheaper printing costs for black and white.
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #7

Try the Magic Lantern book on the K7. Really makes it easier, but make notes! Enjoy the K7! I love mine. It feels really solid in me hands and I don't worry about a bit of snow. Check the Rear Dial. Mine never worked properly and was exchanged by my store!

02-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oahutodd Quote
I am quite pleased with my new K7. Shutter count was 223 after first picture I shot.

The camera works great thus far & leaves no doubt in my mind that it is new - not a return or open box like I was worried about.
My K10D and K-7 initial shutter count (from EXIF info, using PhotoME to read out) were both > 200.
So, yes, your camera is new.

My K-5 shutter however was 1!
Nevertheless, the K10D and K-7 never had a problem but my K-5 had several.

The K-5 had a misaligned level, not working front wheel and a dirty sensor.
I doubt the K-5 went through final QA, despite the fact that the local Pentax rep says all K-5 shutter counters are reset just before packaging.
All problems were fixed under warrenty, but I had to miss the camera for 6 weeks.

Bert

PS the fact that the shutter counter can be reset, and the ongoing hacking of Pentax firmware by some people here may result in people resetting their old camera's to low shutter counter setting in future.

PPS I like the first picture a lot
02-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for that info Bert! Always good to hear about first person accounts with the latest pentax products. I had no idea the shutter counter could/would be reset. Defeats the purpose of an 'accurate shot counter'. Turning back miles on your cars odometer before selling it to increase value is still theft reguardless if its easy or can be done. Resetting @ factory is fine with me. If after someone has bought & used a cam, then resets shot counter to sell a fraud, makes for a thief though!