Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
When you use the camera in studio, you don't need high ISO and FPS . With that, K-20D will be an excellent choice .
I was going to say the same (first part).

There are camera rain sealing bags available for the really bad weather that you can use on non-WR systems like the K-x if needed...

02-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do much PP, I'd definitely point you to the K-x. It's not just about an extra stop or so of high ISO performance: the files are much more flexible and robust, so you can really push them in ways that got ugly with the K20D. Also notable is the faster AF of the K-x, which may come in handy at times.

I've had both, and loved both, but in all I've found the K-x a much more flexible camera. Sure, it lacks weathersealing (though my K-x has handled a little rain here and there without issue) and the external controls are a bit less sophisticated (though 99% of what you use on a regular basis is only a click or two away), but I find I get better results and have more fun in general when I'm shooting, since I don't have to worry about making sure the camera is set right. I can usually just let it do its thing.
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I went from the K-x to the K20D, and honestly I very rarely miss the high iso capabilities of the K-x. Looking back, I had plenty of acceptable shots from the K-x at ISO 3200 that I can get fairly close to with the K20D with adequate PP. Just for fun, I played around a bit with johndurg's above shot at ISO 6400 to see what I could get (I hope you don't mind), and I don't think the K20D disappoints. This resized upload may not show it, but there's plenty of detail in a K20D's image that allow's for good images are very high ISO.
Attached Images

02-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fine PP work...

I've been looking too to get a Pro-looking body since i was offered to shoot a wedding (as a second or third photographer..) by an agency to see if they would hire me for events..the problem is that the Kx doesn't have the looks a client is expecting and he will be wary if you show up with just that one. So having no Pro looking lens and body blew that opportunity for me (at first i was just looking to be an assistant to one of their fotographers, but they didn't need more)...and in my searches i've found that the K7 and the K20d sell for very similar prices, if i were you i would go with a K7.. And in a litle time if you really need the high ISO buy a used Kx body cheap (prices are dropping and i've seen good bargains out there...).
But since you own a Pro looking camera you can buy the Kx and go to the events with the 2 cameras and use the Kx when you need High ISO. I got good shots with it at 1600, fine at 3200 and some usable at 6400 (in B&W the noise can be used as the grain in the very sensible film and achieve some nice effects.).

02-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Between the K20 and the K7, I'd choose the K7... Had both, and frankly the K7 beats the K20 on all front, even the high-iso shots...

Yeah, it's a little more grainy, but it's free of the magenta borders and the stripes that ruined the K20 high isos...
No front-focusing in low-light tungsten, either...

And, seriously, the K7 is QUIET!!! From a few feet, you'll be hard pressed hearing it... Next to it, the K20 sounds like a shotgun being pumped (you know, with the spent cartridge flying away and all!).

The Kx was a nice little machine (yeah, I had it too, and the K10 a long time ago, K5 now), good for the casual shooting, but the lack of external controls made it a nightmare to use, really.

The dual wheel and TAv modes are a must have IMO for weddings and such, where the light is constantly changing...
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments. Keep them coming!
It seems I need to take a second look at the K7. I was not considering it honestly because of the bad rep I have read here. It was my impression that to some people the K7 was even a step backwards from the K20. But if the K7 falls whithin budget it should be considered.

Regards,
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think that the people were a bit dissapointed since the k7 used old technology, and that the "new" flagship wasn't new enough just a minor improvement with some defects...that doesn't make it inferior...
But then i may be wrong and the k7 may well be a step backward...
And congratulations for the path all this has put you on. Hope it works well.
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

As far as I can see the only "step backwards" with the K-7 was a slight (and highly subjective) loss of image quality at high ISO (though many saw the opposite). Fact is, if your goal is to use your camera to take pictures rather than evaluate minor nuances of file quality in test shots, there's really no difference to fret over. And in that case, the K-7's more responsive performance and refined featureset give it some compelling advantages over the K20D.

02-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
Inactive Account

It depends what you need. If you frequently take pictures in low light conditions, you better get ... a K-5... but you can't, so don't hesitate, the K-X is not for pros, the K20D is fine and even the K10D can offers you very good pics. The sensitivity is not so much different.

Don't forget that the lens is often more important than the camera.
02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fibo Quote
K-X is not for pros
But there are some pros working with it some times
The body doesn't matter if you can deliver good quality fotos..and all bodys are capable of delivering good pics...BUT for events, clients will be wary if you don't show up with something that LOOKS advanced. You can show up with an old body that is as capable as the Kx but looks bigger and more pro and they will be more confident about your ability to take the pics they paid for...(I knew today someone that worked like that: old body, less MP than my Kx, good optics and charged good price per event...).
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #26
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pros have been using the *ist D, which is far less specced to the K-x. Clearly gear is important, and pros would choose a K-5 over a K-x or K-r if funds permit, but there's nothing stopping pros from doing what they can do with a K-x.
02-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
i agreed, i saw a used k-7 from B&H at 8+ rating for 350... i knew it was cheap, but didn't get it (i'm on a different system), lol, it was grabbed in a hurry by someone in the matter of hours since i saw it.
That is a steal. Wish I saw it.
02-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody!
I think this story may be coming to a happy ending (or a happy new beginning )
I'm test driving a local K20D and unless the seller backs down, I'm buying it.

Regards,
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #29

Gearism

I have both the K20D and the KX. I'm really not all that enamored with the KX. Everything I've shot with the K20D just looks better to my hobbyist eyes. Plus I have big hands and the K20D just feels right. Its a tank with a grip and a big lens, but I like the way it feels and how it performs.
Its easy to get in that swirl of wanting the shiny and new gizmo. But because I do this as a hobby and don't have Bill Gates bank account, I can't justify spending more to get just a little better photograph. Now if it elevated the image to something 50% better, I can see it (sorta). I don't know how you can go wrong with the K20D.