Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extended Warranties?

Having just purchased two k10d's I was confronted with an extra $80 fee to extend the warranty to three years. I declined but it is not too late to reverse my decision since I have yet to receive the cameras. My reason for declining was that my credit card carries an extra year's worth of insurance protection for the buyer which added to the Pentax one year warranty, totals two years' worth of protection. But it has me wondering if I should have spent the extra $80.

Do you generally spring for the extended warranties or not?

10-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #2

My K100D Super comes with a standard 24 Month warranty (I think this is a LAW here in Belgium since every camera comes with 2 years at least).

I can pick it up at the store tomorrow afternoon so I don't know if they will offer to extend it with another year (for a fee) but I doubt it.

they DO offer a 3-year insurance for it though (for the K100D Super that's 65 euro so that's about 80 USD I guess) but that's for theft (except from your car) and other stuff not under the actual Warranty like dropping it.

I'm planning on taking this insurance since I don't want to take the risk of dropping it and finding out I need to pay for a new one
10-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My understanding is that the warranty only covers manufacturer's defects and not accidental damages incurred (such as dropping the camera). It seems to me that this extended warranty (which is what you face with almost every purchase today from cars to appliances to electronic equipment) is questionable and it's the reason I'm seeking other opinions. I know that I've never had a camera fail me (and I've owned many over the past thirty + years that I've been interested in photography. Not to say that there wouldn't be a first time. It's the same with my computer. I'm on my fourth now and never really had one fail me. I generally replace them every third or fourth year and I'm always hounded to take the extended warranty.

Any other opinions?
10-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Forum Member

Extended Warranties?

I know that (here in the US) Consumers Reports (a consumer testing and advocacy group not supported by any advertising money) usually advises that these extended policies be passed up/not used.
My experience is that is a system is going to fail due to defect it Usually does so fairly soon. But not always.
I just bought a K10D and I passed on the extension when it was "offered".

Don

10-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi JamesD

'Pigs might fly', so would you take out insurance JUST on the off-chance it might actually happen ?
I tend to regard these add-on type of policies as yet another method of extracting more cash from naive or nervous consumers. What's the worst that can happen ? If your camera fails whilst you're on vacation the other side of the world, will it help you out in that kind of scenario ? I suppose it all depends on your attitude to risk aversion ! It strikes me that most of these so-called extended warranties simply aren't worth the paper they're written on......guess it's the cynic in me coming out again !!!
Naturally it's your choice, but speaking personally I wouldn't bother and use the money saved to purchase a decent camera bag. That way if you accidentally drop your camera, it might stand a better chance of surviving the experience ? Just my two-pence worth !

Best regards
Richard
10-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My feelings exactly. It was, in fact, the motivating factor when I declined the "offer". I'm glad to hear that others share that view. Let's just say that having my decision affirmed by others has given me the reassurance I apparently seem to need just now.
10-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Extended warranyies are a waste of time.

If your camera is going to develop a problem it will likely be in the first year. By the time you have had it 2 years any problem occuring will most likely be "wear and tear" and probably not covered. You will probably hankering after a new model by the time you are into your third year !!
10-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I never buy those "extended warranties", they are a waste of $$$

Besides, in a lot of big-box stores the salespeople do not earn comission on merchandise, but they do earn VERY HIGH commission on extended warranties (which is why in places like Best Buy or Future Shop salespeople are VERY pushy when it comes to the extended warranty).

They also had a consumer report on TV here claiming that in some cases the service centers that take care of those extended warranties can VOID your manufacturers warranty if they start poking in your product. Now for a company like Pentax which has a very good 2 year warranty, that would be quite annoying.

Pat

10-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Extended warranties are GREAT!!!

If you're selling them.

Not so great if you're buying them.

I'd pass if I were you.