Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
Ok, I got it working fine. A couple of things that may have contributed it. For one thing I made sure the volume was all the way up but in that app you made it only turned up the ringer. I went in winamp and turned it up there and found that it was low. With the media volume up, I believe it worked.

Its great, I cant wait to use it! Thanks!
Awesome :-)

Yeah the volume control seems to be context aware - i.e. if the app is currently playing a music track then the volume will adjust the media volume, if not it defaults to the ringtone.

Maybe I'll add a button to set the media volume to max.

Edit: Seems to be another feature lacking from appinventor. Wish I had java skillz...

Last edited by piesforyou; 02-11-2011 at 03:30 AM.
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #47

Original Poster
Looks like this is a popular idea at the moment...:

link

featured on Engadget no less.
02-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alright! Success! My father (a retired electronics engineer) snapped everything out of my hands when i asked to borrow his soldering iron haha. So now I have a very nice looking contraption (definitely much nicer than what I would have done).

Side note - there is an app for iPhone that uses this cable for Canon cameras and they are looking for Pentax volunteers. DSLR.Bot - I'm not affiliated. Just wanted to let you know. I emailed them inquiring about it. We'll see.
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #49
Forum Member

I just can't believe when I found that Canon app I went Google searching for Pentax. The very I day I searched you made this thread, and therefore within a few days I had one working. Just funny how it worked out the day I actually went searching.

02-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most excellent, I butchered a couple of old remotes and a half broken 3.5mm cable and voila!

Works a charm, pitty I don't have an android based phone only my windows mobile one. Still I can playlist it.

A curious issue is using my regular pc, it detects when you plug in a 3.5mm jack - doesn't recognize the IR cable and turns that off in favor of digital audio out, obviously this results in no sound file out the cable thus no shutter. Of course if you plug speakers or an amp in then it plays the file fine, just one to keep an eye out for with troubleshooting (I circumvented this by using a usb keyboard with a 3.5mm audio out jack inbuilt, works perfectly)
02-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
A curious issue is using my regular pc, it detects when you plug in a 3.5mm jack - doesn't recognize the IR cable and turns that off in favor of digital audio out

HAH! Technology eh? Always thinking it knows what's best for us.
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #52

Hi!!

Do you have any plans to have your app work for the Km as well, ie have a constant IR signal, rather than silence, for a specific length of time? At the moment I have to keep the remote pressed and pointing at the camera for up to 5 minutes at a time. Try it one day, it's not pleasant!!

Last edited by mvecchi; 02-23-2011 at 01:47 PM.
02-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mvecchi Quote
Hi!!

Do you have any plans to have your app work for the Km as well, ie have a constant IR signal, rather than silence, for a specific length of time? At the moment I have to keep the remote pressed and pointing at the camera for up to 5 minutes at a time. Try it one day, it's not pleasant!!
I can have a stab at it. I'm a bit busy at the moment but maybe when I get a spare moment I'll see if I can get it to work

02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
I can have a stab at it. I'm a bit busy at the moment but maybe when I get a spare moment I'll see if I can get it to work
Yes please!!!
02-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #55

I've been playing with Audacity and managed to create the wav file - I couldn't download the one in the link for some reason.

It worked fine with my Km, so I set myself the task of trying to get it working in the bulb setting on my Km. However I haven't been able to achieve that just yet. I suspect that it has something to do with the timings between the signal pulses but then I could be wrong!!

Anyone have an idea of what the length between the signal pulses should be?
02-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #56

You little beauty!!!

Well, having played around with Audacity, it seems that 100ms between each signal does the trick. My Km just took a bulb exposure of 61s!!!

Now I just need to see how much I can shorten the time between each signal by and still have it work.....
02-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #57

Original Poster
Excellent!! If 100ms works then maybe you could just stick with that? I can definitely set up the app to repeat every 100ms. Only slight problem might be if another app you have running takes up some resources for some reason, that could delay the Timer function which would result in a premature shutter close.

I would be tempted to say it would be more reliable to create a 60s (or whatever) long .wav file and just play it through the MP3 player.

I got a chance to shoot some star trails last night and the Android app worked very well - except you have to remember to set your phone NOT TO GO TO SLEEP!! I ended up with 2 gaps in my star trails, but I'm not too fussed as it was just an experimental 10 minute shot really. Need to find something more interesting for the foreground...
02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #58

I stayed with the 100ms and created wav files for 1, 2 & 5 minutes which all work a treat! The app would be good for more than one exposure in an imaging run but I guess I could do that with a playlist and a wav file of silence of say 5s in between each shot.

This is something I've been chasing ever since I realised the Km had such a dodgy method of taking a bulb exposure. I've bought several el-cheapo RCs from eBay, the official Pentax RC as well as rigging up brackets to use an old manual cable release. But using your knowledge and suggestions all it took was 2 IR LED's (a total of AUD$2.50), an old audio extension cable and learning how to use a freebie software package!

Fantastic!!

Thanks for all the work you've done on this and I hope you get a chance to get a newer version of the app out.
03-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #59

Mixed Results

First of all, thank you to piesforyou for posting this simple solution. I've looking for something like. So, I am happy you posted it. However, I cannot claim full sucess yet.

Here is my story. The cable works great but I did not used the headphone extension lead. Instead, I first tried using an old headphone with the earbuds removed and two Radio Shack High-Output 5mm Infrared LEDs (276-0143). That did not work, but a narrowed the problem to the cable. So, I made my own cable using a 2-lead cable and Radio Shack 1/8" Stereo Plug (274-0858). I connected the cable leads to the ring terminals of the plug. My cable with the LEDs works very well.

My problem is with the signal player. I do not have a wav player. I have an mp3 and wma player (Zen Nano Plus). I converted the wav file piesforyou posted to these formats. The mp3 does not work from my PC or player. The wma works from the PC but the player. Thus, since I do not have an Android phone or another player, I still do not have a solution.

I hope this story and the part number from Radio Shack helps someone else.

Toro

Last edited by Toro; 03-19-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Put update as a reply
03-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Can someone repost the original .wav file ? it seems that the link is dead ...

thanks !

Last edited by aurele; 03-13-2011 at 11:57 AM.