Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #76

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Link updated. I've used this "multi-upload" site which puts the file on various different hosting sites so the link should work for a lot longer.

07-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #77

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zuken Quote
I check it and it is playing, but will not trigger the shutter.

Thanks for your comment.
I can only suggest there is something wrong with your dongle then
07-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
Piesforyou,

I took 800 pictures last Sunday, no problem at all with my iPhone. Not a single one with the Clip....
11-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #79

I have a Vizio Tablet, it has a built in Ir LED for use as a remote, is it posible to change your app to access this directly, so as to not need the dongle?

12-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #80

Billium28.
This movie looks wicked!
What was the rate you used 1 exposures every 3/5/10 seconds?
Would you be willing to share the mp3 you used to make it ?
And any tips?
12-30-2011, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #81

Just built this myself, works great. Android app doesn't work for me on LG Optimus S though, I can hear a beep with headphones but doesn't work with IR leds...
My phone may be too quiet or something. Here is a link to wav files for 1,5,10,15,20,30,45,60 seconds.
Works great on my 3rd gen ipod nano!
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
01-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #82
Forum Member

I honestly forget but something like every 3 seconds feels familiar. It was definitely below 5. Not sure on length it sat there but because it was technically a trial run I didn't work too hard to fix exposure etc. I never made another one on the lake all summer except a small one in the woods. Overall it was very easy once I built the wire with IR bulbs. I taped it to IR receiver on camera with black electrical tape. Again when it snows I want to do another so I will make it with correct settings etc.

I honestly had no problems at all with the Android App that was supplied at the beginning of the post. He did update it to the 1.1 (or whatever the update was) and this worked. When I tried the initial version I could only get about 2 shots off.

I ironically found an app on the market that will make my phone a time lapse camera itself but compared to my Kx there isnt any competition in quality there. I will try the first real snow fall in the next week or two. What I am contemplating doing is making my own enclosed version on my arduino board with a wav shield. That way I don't have the limitation of my Incredible phone battery which even with the radio antennas off only lasted about 1-2 hours (from my memory.)

EDIT! I should point out once again for those using the Android app, turn the "Media volume" all the way up or it will do almost nothing. It needs the full volume for the IR to light bright enough. This took me many tries to figure out. In the app it wont turn up media volume only the ringer, so go into a mp3 app, play a song, turn the volume all the way up, end song, then load the time lapse app.

Last edited by Billium28; 01-03-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Extra info
01-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #83

Original Poster
I am having troubles using the app with my current phone, a samsung galaxy S2. It works fine on my older HTC Magic. I'm not sure why this is.

Billium28, would you be able to send me the .apk that are using? I'd like to test it to check I havn't mixed up the versions at some point...
01-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I jumped in and made myself a dongle. I don't have an Android phone so I just went with the wav file technique. I could not get the file to trigger my K-x from three different Sansa mp3 players (Clip+, m260, and Fuze) and I even installed the alternate firmware Rockbox on one of them to see if that made any difference and it didn't. But the device that seems to work the best is my little Dell Mini 9 netbook running Ubuntu Linux.
So I took the netbook and my phot gear out into the field last night to try and get some meteors and/or star trails. I had some success but nothing mind-blowing. But the dongle and wav file method with my netbook worked great! Here's a first try at a stacked shot using ImageStacker.
K-x & Rokinon 8mm FE, ~50 20s exposures stacked

Edit to add: I just put the 1second.wav file on repeat and then set the exposure time on the camera to keep the timing as simple as possible. Worked great!

Last edited by mattb123; 01-04-2012 at 11:18 AM.
02-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #85
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got myself an IR transmitter using an audio jack lead.
But I failed to download any audio file from all the links, could any body upload again or send me an email ( hao_section01@ymail.com )
Thanks.
02-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can host them indefinitely, so here's a link that should be around as long as we want.
I added a couple of variations with an additional 2 seconds but wound up playing the 1 second on repeat because I was doing a > 1 sec. exposure. Worked great and I didn't have to be so careful with timing.
02-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #87

I made the cable and it works perfectly with a 1 second interval WAV file I made in Audacity from the "Pentax Code-twochannel.wav" I downloaded here, and while it triggers my Kx from iTunes on my laptop, it does not work with my iPod or iPhone. I've got the volume turned up and sound check is off on the iPod and iPhone, made sure the ringer is up on the iPhone… nothing!
I tried "amplifying" the volume on the file in Audacity but it doesn't work either. Any ideas of what the problem is or what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
02-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a similar problem with my Sansa players and had to just use my netbook to drive it. I wonder if the music players do some kind of eq that changes the signal enough to prevent it from working.
02-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #89
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, quick question, would this work?

Amazon.com: Channel Vision Dual IR Emitter With Confirmation LED: Electronics
05-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #90

I have built a infrared led set-up using old remote controls to use with my jailbroken iphone (full volume) and DSLR.bot
to use with my kx
Tested but i find it does not work as well as it should and the angle to the infrared detector is critical

Then i discovered that a standard iphone when in video mode can see infrared!

when i pointed my tv remote and a cheap ebay pentax remote at my ipone when in video mode then you can see a nice white light that is quite bright

but i see nothing from my diy leds when tested running DSLR.bot from another iphone

so i think the DIY infrared setup leds do not have the same power at commercial remotes

so i was wondering if i could link up DSLR.bot output to a cheap ebay infrared remote?