Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #91
Inactive Account

Did another test with my cheap ebay infrared remote and i find that i am able to fire off my kx from further away and at most angles
what is better is it works every time!

So i am off to see my electronics engineer friend to see about making up a circuit to link my iphone running dslr.bot to my ebay remote

Another thought would be to use a PDA with software linked to ebay remote

05-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #92
Inactive Account

did some experimenting with various amps to boost the led's range.
but eventually gave it a big thumbs down, not consistent or reliable.

looked for another way and after doing some goggling found linking a cheap ebay interval timer 9 to a even cheaper
pentax inrared remote 3

removed the guts from the remote and fitted this into a small box with green led power indicator and switch.
the 3v battery was replaced with 2 AAA and a RCA connection plug fitted to trigger the remote.

i can now link up the interval timer to this reliable long range infrared remote.

what more its a simple way to link up other triggering devices using the RCA plug,i have experimented with laser reflective sensors
05-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #93
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a hi-jack of the original post for which I am mildly sorry. There is a another way to achieve the goal of an interval timer for any IR release capable Pentax camera - combine a mechanical timer switch with a cheap (US$1.65) IR remote.

Here is my post on how to add an external switch to the cheap IR remote.
My post shows how to remotely trigger the camera from any angle, any practical distance and beat the problem with bright sunshine. Once you have the ability to plug in an external switch, you can rig the remote with any kind of switch you want. You could even do automated extended exposures with the bulb shutter using a mechanical timer. Or make the equivalent of a 'trail cam' with a motion activated switch. The ideas are limitless.
05-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #94
Inactive Account

Like your mod too but i found that the standard 3v lithium cell supplied with the ebay remotes didn't last too long when doing 100's of shots

also as the battery slowly dies the reliability of 100% triggering goes down as well ,That why i decided to power my unit with AA's batteries instead ,cheap and so easy to buy anywhere and longer lasting

we wouldn't have had to go to all this trouble if Pentax had fitted a 1 jack plug socket instead of infrared

05-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mulaz Quote
we wouldn't have had to go to all this trouble if Pentax had fitted a 1 jack plug socket instead of infrared
+1 ... and the few pennies it would have cost to keep the legacy screw in port on the shutter button for a mechanical release. If wireless release was really important to me, I'm sure Pentax would have been happy to sell me a paired transmitter/receiver set for that body jack - either lower cost IR or a higher cost RF.

As for battery life, at US$1.65 (delivered), it is less expensive to steal the battery from another remote than to purchase another battery at local retail prices. And, I agree it would be easy to lash a 1.5v AAA or AA battery to the IR remote for longer life. One thing I haven't tested, but might work, would be to put that greater capacity 1.5v power source in the external switching device rather than make the IR transmitter any bulkier.
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #96
Forum Member

Hi guys....

This thread was recommended to me as I was in the market for an IR unit and this looks perfect, Just wondered if anyone could re-up the android apk app if possible please. As all the links I've tried seem to be dead.
Thanks for any help
sadsack
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #97
Inactive Account

apps NO NO

Don't bother with apps use hardware timers from ebay cheap 12 and more reliable
08-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #98
Forum Member

I'll have a look,

thanks.....
sadsack

02-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #99

DOes anyone have that wav file? The link in the first page just brings me to a download-manager page!
06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #100
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I know, this is an old thread. I just wanted to say thanks to all those who worked this out.
I downloaded the .WAV file zip from post #86 in this thread.

I made my cable from an old 3.5mm to RCA cable using NTE 3027 LEDs from Fry's (in case someone is wanting a source).

The only tricky part for me was getting it to play on an iPod - you have to import the WAVs into iTunes, then do File -> Save Other Versions (I think that's right) and choose Apple Lossless. Then sync the Apple Lossless version to your iPod (I was able to get this to work on a 6th-Generation iPod Nano) and crank the volume. I wanted to use an iPod rather than my iPhone, because let's face it, who wants to have to stand RIGHT THERE BY THE CAMERA when the phone rings...

I'm not the best with this iPod, and couldn't figure out how to get it to just repeat a song. I wound up creating a playlist for each separate file, then under Music options I chose repeat. Go to Music, playlists, pick the one you want, and hit play.

Now I just need a bigger memory card...
10-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #101

Visible LEDs?

any idea of how to change that so that it works with red/green or blue LED?
10-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #102
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nenisea Quote
any idea of how to change that so that it works with red/green or blue LED?
The receiver on the camera is looking for specific wavelengths - infrared wavelengths. Using a visible LED in place of the IR ones would not work. You could use visible LEDs in conjunction with the IR ones, so you can see the blinking, I guess, but that might reduce the brightness of the IR LEDs - I'm not that good at electronics so someone else might be able to answer that...