Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I should probably add...

Audacity FTW!

02-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
does someone know how to do blackberry app ?
02-03-2011, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #18

Original Poster
I've finished the first version of my Android app, you can get it here. Obviously it's beta but it seems to be working on my HTC Magic. In case you're wondering, it's not on the marketplace because currently apps developed using the AppInventor are not supported by the marketplace, but that may change.

Let me know about any bugs you find.
02-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #19
Forum Member

WOW, man you are, well the MAN. I was searching just now for this and I found you made it not a few hours ago. I love the internet. My droid incredible just had this installed. I cant wait. Thanks again.

02-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
WOW, man you are, well the MAN. I was searching just now for this and I found you made it not a few hours ago. I love the internet. My droid incredible just had this installed. I cant wait. Thanks again.
Awesome, let me know how if it works!!
02-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
02-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

damn it, i don't have any resseller for IR led near my house...

Last edited by aurele; 02-04-2011 at 06:04 AM.
02-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
damn it, i don't have any resseller for IR led near my house...
Annoying. Do you have the equivalent of Poundland in France? Because Poundland sell a universal TV remote, you could buy two of those and harvest the IR LEDs from them. That would actually work out cheaper than what I paid for them...
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
No problem.

I got my USB to audio adapter in the post today (£1.50 off ebay) and so I've been able to test the Android app. It works! yesss. However I think the voltage could do with being boosted, a lot, currently range is only ~2 to 3 inches and that's with the LEDs pointed directly at the sensor, and Media Volume in Android turned right up. So I'll see about amplifying the .wav and maybe inverting he signal on the opposite channel, which should effectively give double the voltage :-)
02-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #25

Original Poster
Wow, well that made a difference! Putting the inverted signal on the other channel improved the range vastly. My HTC magic will now trigger the release up to about 4 feet away, and at closer ranges from virtually any angle. This means it should be very easy to mount the LEDs on your camera in a reliable position.

New version of the Android app with the improved range

And the new raw .wav file and audacity project

EDIT: By the way, if you think the new app isn't working at first because you can no longer hear the sound of the code, I presume this is a consequence of having the signal inverted on the second channel. I assume mono speakers will blend the signals together and so, of course, the two channels cancel each other out. However if you play the timer through a pair of headphones or stereo speakers you should still hear the code! Weird hey. A bit annoying for debug purposes.

Edit 2:
Proof of concept :-)

Last edited by piesforyou; 02-04-2011 at 08:34 AM.
02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks so much for this! I'll be visiting my local electronics store after work Since I'm on an iPhone, I think for now I'll just use the playlist method. Will report after the weekend.
02-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Thanks so much for ths! I'll be visiting my local electronics store after work Since I'm on an iPhone, I think for now I'll just use the playlist method.
No problem Voytech. Actually there may well be apps already out there for the iPhone which are designed to do exactly this sort of thing! However I have no idea if they support Pentax or not...
02-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure I get this.... For this to work, you need the Android app installed on your phone, as well as some kind of home brew LED device to plug into your audio/headphone jack??
p.s. I have read that there is at least one remote camera trigger app for the iphone
02-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lectrolink Quote
I'm not sure I get this.... For this to work, you need the Android app installed on your phone, as well as some kind of home brew LED device to plug into your audio/headphone jack??
p.s. I have read that there is at least one remote camera trigger app for the iphone
You don't need the Android app, you can use this method on any MP3 player whatsoever, including the built in MP3 player on Android or iPhone or whatever. However I've built an Android app which uses the same idea, but which allows flexibility. i.e. you can set a different interval on the fly, instead of designing 'tracks' with built in interval periods.
02-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery
still not clear.... I have an Android phone; I download the app and then what? Is there anything else I need?