Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i wonder if it's windows 7 not liking something on my computer, because when i was using xp i never once had this problem on this computer or with this external hard drive.

also wondering why it's random images that get wrecked, if my card or hard drive were doing this, would it not corrupt all the files? not just one here and there?

i am seriously so upset over this. it's so aggravating having issues which you have no idea how to fix

Last edited by pete_pf; 02-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Run the tests that I suggested in post #14. Run memtest86 over night; one cycle can take long and it's advisable to run multiple cycles.

As you're working on an external HD, determine the make of the HD (not of the full product) and run the HD diagnostic tools of the HD manufacturer as well.

Just to confirm an assumption. Your WinXP machine was physically another machine? Or the same machine upgraded to Win7? Important to know as your same workflow used to work on your WinXP (so it's probably not the external HD).
02-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If that is the result for just a few images and not all then it's most likely your memory card. I would figure if it was your sensor it would happen all the time. I do not know of a way to recover those specific images but I would suggest moving the rest of the images and formating the card using the camera. Good Luck!
02-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

KxBlaze, did you read the full post? The problem occurs during processing on an external HD. Image is initially OK and eventually goes 'crazy'.

02-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm in the habit of advocating thoroughly testing memory cards before putting them to real use. The idea is to make sure that all blocks get written to, read back and verified at least once, preferably a couple of times. Linux 'badblocks' is what I have been using for this, for Windows h2testw seems like the best I have come across so far; with this it would seem like a good idea to format the card as the first part of the testing cycle as this is based on creating large file(s) on the card instead of going directly to the data blocks like badblocks. Basically the purpose of the write-read-verify cycle is to either force the card to flag its bad blocks not to be used subsequently behind the scenes and/or detect any blocks for which it cannot do this for some reason. A couple of cycles should take care of marginal blocks and/or missing bad blocks due to wear leveling distributing the requests amongst the pool of physical flash blocks. With this my experience has been that cards either end up having persistent i/o errors (and get exchanged - the test log/report is a useful thing to have for this) or pass the test and work reliably (an occasional retest would seem like a good idea though).
02-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Ouch. I assume those are the JPEGs taken directly from the camera and it's not a RAW software problem. The problem is hopefully just a bad memory card rather than a complex camera or PC problem.

Put the card back into the camera. View the bad photos on the in-camera LCD. Does the problem still happen?

Put a different card into the camera. Take a bunch of test photos. Any more problems?

Maybe format the original card after all other tests are done and see if it works, but I wouldn't recommend it. If a memory card went crazy once it's likely to happen again. Save the card for a little while before throwing it away, just in case you find that the problem reappears even with a new memory card.
those jpg's are converted from the raw file. i put the original raw file back onto the card to view on the camera lcd and it looks fine, no crazy lines i also format my card usually every time before going out to shoot, never from the computer.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Run the tests that I suggested in post #14. Run memtest86 over night; one cycle can take long and it's advisable to run multiple cycles.

As you're working on an external HD, determine the make of the HD (not of the full product) and run the HD diagnostic tools of the HD manufacturer as well.

Just to confirm an assumption. Your WinXP machine was physically another machine? Or the same machine upgraded to Win7? Important to know as your same workflow used to work on your WinXP (so it's probably not the external HD).
i will try those tests and will let you know what happens after my winxp machine was my desktop, then formatted and installed win7. that is when i got another pef freak out last night. the first time was on my laptop, this that was on my desktop.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
KxBlaze, did you read the full post? The problem occurs during processing on an external HD. Image is initially OK and eventually goes 'crazy'.
I'm not even sure if the real problem is with my external, because i put some pef files onto my laptop that i wanted to work on away from home, and that's where the original images in this thread came from. Happened on two different machines.

Last edited by pete_pf; 02-13-2011 at 11:52 AM.
02-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I'm in the habit of advocating thoroughly testing memory cards before putting them to real use. The idea is to make sure that all blocks get written to, read back and verified at least once, preferably a couple of times. Linux 'badblocks' is what I have been using for this, for Windows h2testw seems like the best I have come across so far;
Warning: Only 15287 of 15288 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 8.91 MByte/s
Reading speed: 15.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

ok, what does all that mean? the card is ok right? lol
02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
ok, what does all that mean? the card is ok right? lol
This is akin to a "not guilty" verdict, which is not necessarily the same as "proven innocent": some blocks on the card could be marginal (= sometimes failing, sometimes not). Also, this won't necessarily test all card blocks (going through the file system, wear leveling, spare blocks). Running the test a couple of times and formatting the card in between tests should mean that the changes of a problem managing to keep undetected are slim, though. A test like 'badblocks' would be somewhat better, but I haven't found one for Windows.

02-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tried the file on acdsee and pentax's camera utility, happens there as well. thought maybe it was a adobe issue, was really hopeful it was also tried converting to dng, nothing better there lol man ....

what really annoys me about this most, is that the image loads fine at first. i rename, add metadata, do some editing. then i leave the image, come back next day or something, AND BAM!!! it's aggravating
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Virus issue?

i've never had this crop up and i'm on 7 with lightroom for my primary

update your virus and other software and run a sweep. then try reopening the files

if you want to drop a raw file for testing in hotbox or someplace i'll scan it before looking at it

oh and good to see another Toronto pentaxian
02-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
tried the file on acdsee and pentax's camera utility, happens there as well. thought maybe it was a adobe issue, was really hopeful it was also tried converting to dng, nothing better there lol man ....

what really annoys me about this most, is that the image loads fine at first. i rename, add metadata, do some editing. then i leave the image, come back next day or something, AND BAM!!! it's aggravating
Hey Pete,
I'm not real computer savvy, but I remember a while back after hoya bought pentax there became an issue with the changing of the metadata in the naming of the file or something like that and somebody found changing the file name in the EXIF of the raw file would allow the raw converter to read it. Just a thought that may cause some problem if you rename it. Maybe someone else can recall for sure. Good luck with it.(I hate computer problems)
02-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Virus issue?

i've never had this crop up and i'm on 7 with lightroom for my primary

update your virus and other software and run a sweep. then try reopening the files

if you want to drop a raw file for testing in hotbox or someplace i'll scan it before looking at it

oh and good to see another Toronto pentaxian
this is a clean install of win7, and i scan weekly for viruses, and daily for spyware, etc. not sure that'll be the problem, but i'll do it anyways just now :P whacha mean hotbox? (i know another definition for hotbox but sure the one you'r talking about hehe) You want me to upload the pef file so you can look at it? - I took the link down, if you want to see the pef files pm and I'll give you a link to download them

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey Pete,
I'm not real computer savvy, but I remember a while back after hoya bought pentax there became an issue with the changing of the metadata in the naming of the file or something like that and somebody found changing the file name in the EXIF of the raw file would allow the raw converter to read it. Just a thought that may cause some problem if you rename it. Maybe someone else can recall for sure. Good luck with it.(I hate computer problems)
even if i take out the xmp file and rename the file back to the original name, it still doesn't change anything - messed up image still comes up. plus i had the image renamed and was editing it, wouldn't it corrupt right away if i renamed it? this usually happens a long time after i rename. but i'll read that thread if anyone knows where it is i'll do anything at this point lol

Last edited by pete_pf; 02-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.
02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

that is odd, as when i look at the preview on importing it's fine but once i have it in lightroom it's the same issue. So it's not your software, it could still be a corrupted hard drive partition

try a clean import of a file and work from the memory card and see if it is a problem
02-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I tihnk it's an important point.

What is seen on the camera LCD, and on the computer screen during and soon after import is not the RAW file at all (or even the computer converted RAW file), it is the JPEG embedded within the RAW file. Once the computer processes the RAW file it then generates it's own JPEG preview which it uses to display the photo on the screen rather than the JPEG embedded in the RAW file. This can take from seconds to many minutes depending on how many images were imported and how fast the computer is.

You can never see a RAW file displayed, only the JPEG/TIFF interpretation of it.

If the file "goes crazy" it could be that the conversion of the RAW file to JPEG on the computer has screwed up, so as it replaces the embedded JPEG for it's preview with the RAW converted one it's at that point that it may be screwing up.
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that is odd, as when i look at the preview on importing it's fine but once i have it in lightroom it's the same issue. So it's not your software, it could still be a corrupted hard drive partition

try a clean import of a file and work from the memory card and see if it is a problem
I'm pretty sure the preview is an embedded jpg in the raw.

You type faster than me!

Last edited by borno; 02-13-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: too slow