Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

damaged files? what is wrong with my images?

I noticed something weird on a few files I took today, which I don't believe I've ever gotten on my K100D. What is this called? And anyway to recover the images?

02-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

data corruption check your memory card
02-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ouch. I assume those are the JPEGs taken directly from the camera and it's not a RAW software problem. The problem is hopefully just a bad memory card rather than a complex camera or PC problem.

Put the card back into the camera. View the bad photos on the in-camera LCD. Does the problem still happen?

Put a different card into the camera. Take a bunch of test photos. Any more problems?

Maybe format the original card after all other tests are done and see if it works, but I wouldn't recommend it. If a memory card went crazy once it's likely to happen again. Save the card for a little while before throwing it away, just in case you find that the problem reappears even with a new memory card.
02-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know if the K100D allows RAW+JPEG mode. Assuming it does:

If you already have that enabled, check your RAW files to see if you can recover the corrupt photos.

If you don't have it enabled, turn it on as a safety net.

02-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
most likely its a stuffed sd card.
02-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

This is very similar to the corruption I am seeing on some of the shots I take with PKTether.
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I don't know if the K100D allows RAW+JPEG mode.
FYI: it does not
02-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

How do you transfer? Direct from camera or via a reader? If possible, check the other option.

If both fail, probably memory card. Try another one.

If both fail, more than likely a camera problem.

02-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

It seems to be a bad card. Try to recover your files and get a new card.

Ymay try some file recovery software(s), like the excellent freeware Recuva (Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download) to try to recover some deleted/corrupted files. I used it a couple of time when some pictures were deleted by errors and the results are better than nothing.

02-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was working on an image yesterday which was fine, and magically just moments ago, it went screwy like the ones I posted here. How is that even possible? Defiantly not happy right now errr
02-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
I was working on an image yesterday which was fine, and magically just moments ago, it went screwy like the ones I posted here. How is that even possible? Defiantly not happy right now errr
This sounds more like your computer is somehow corrupting the files
- possibly a hard disk read error?

Have you actually put your card back into the camera as suggested already to see if the images display properly?
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Do I have this sequence of steps correct?
  1. You copied the image from your camera to computer.
  2. Image looked fine on computer.
  3. You edited image yesterday.
  4. Image is bad today.
Assuming that you copied, saved, and edited the image on your hard drive then the problem is somewhere in your computer, not the camera or memory card.

What operating system and version? Windows 7, Vista, Mac, Linux, etc. ?

Are you editing DNG, PEF, or JPG?

What photo software are you using to view and edit? Some software might have extra backup copies where you can hopefully find undamaged versions of your photo files.

Are you experiencing any other computer problems? Hard drive, RAM, or CPU damage would likely cause other problems. Games tend to stress computers more than other software - as odd as it sounds, play some recent games to see whether the computer has other stability issues.

Make sure you have a recent backup in case more files get corrupted.
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I noticed something weird on a few files I took today, which I don't believe I've ever gotten on my K100D. What is this called? And anyway to recover the images?
Could be a faulty SD card reader. I got images similar to your examples from my K20D. It took me forever to figure out my laptop's card reader was defective. Until I got a portable USB reader for my computer, I transferred files via the camera's USB port. If your computer is the culprit, the files should be OK.

my 2 cents... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 02-13-2011 at 08:32 AM.
02-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Run memtest86 (download) to test computer memory.
Assuming that you edit a file located on the HD (not the SD) run the diagnostic tools for your HD (download from HD manufacturers website).
02-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Do I have this sequence of steps correct?
  1. You copied the image from your camera to computer.
  2. Image looked fine on computer.
  3. You edited image yesterday.
  4. Image is bad today.
Assuming that you copied, saved, and edited the image on your hard drive then the problem is somewhere in your computer, not the camera or memory card.

What operating system and version? Windows 7, Vista, Mac, Linux, etc. ?

Are you editing DNG, PEF, or JPG?

What photo software are you using to view and edit? Some software might have extra backup copies where you can hopefully find undamaged versions of your photo files.

Are you experiencing any other computer problems? Hard drive, RAM, or CPU damage would likely cause other problems. Games tend to stress computers more than other software - as odd as it sounds, play some recent games to see whether the computer has other stability issues.

Make sure you have a recent backup in case more files get corrupted.
ya that's basically the sequence, but instead i copy my images to an external hard drive. i'm using windows 7. editing pef inside adobe raw.

i have like no games installed at all lol my gaming days are pretty much over :P

well, it happened again lol this time to an image i was really liking too, not cool. i moved the file from my external onto my desktop, took out the xmp file. looked fine for a second, then crapped out again.