Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You have an SMCP-FA*50mm f1.4 lens?

I would like to see what one looks like. Can you post a photo of it?

probably a lot like this one Jeff but with a full metal jacket lol

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice. So is everyone pretty convinced the 50-135mm is better than the Tamrom and Sigma 70-200mm?
02-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter

I know you are planning to rent a K-5, but you should buy a second K-x instead. I don't know what the situation is where you live, but renting photo gear can be quite a challenge in many parts of the world. Do you have a place nearby that rents? If you really want to surprise me, you can tell me that you have actually seen with your own eyes a K-5 at the rental place.

Even if they do have a K-5, do you really want to be using an unfamiliar Camera to shoot a wedding? The K-5 is similar in operation to a K-x, but it is not the same. Menu features are going to be in different places, some won't cross over at all, there is an extra control wheel to adjust to, et cetera. Worse yet, imagine you get to the rental place to pick up the camera, and it is out for service/repair/whatever. Then you will probably be stuck with a Canon or a Nikon. How different is that going to be? I consider myself to be pretty good at figuring out a camera in a hurry, but every time I pick up a Canon, it takes me a few minutes to figure out how to switch that particular model into av mode. Heaven help you if after the fact you find out that the rental you used had a problem, and every shot is out of focus.

Now on the other hand, if you have two k-x bodies, you can set them up identically. That means if for some reason one fails, you literally pick up #2, swap on the lens you want, and start shooting. Furthermore, you will have already put #2 through it's paces and resolved any issues. I suppose you could probably buy a K-r and move your K-x to #2, as they are very similar models, and should be configurable to work pretty much the same.

Good luck with your decision!
02-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your Tamron 28-75 f2,8 is a fine lens (probably my next buy..) but the pentax 50-135 is amazing...so i would buy the pentax and since you are renting a K5 for the weddings no need to upgrade body just now.
The Kr doesn't deserve the extra money if you got the Kx and you will probably won't sell it for the money you mentioned...and it is a hassle...so keep your kx and get premium lens.
If things go well and you start shooting more weddings you can then buy the K5, and you will have a very decent and Pro-looking equipment to cover events. K5 + 50-135 f2.8, + grip to give it more size (the clients look for pro looking equipment, they do not only pay for the fotos but for all the fotographer's parafernalia at the event, they want someone who has expensive equipment, so they can feel they hired a pro to shoot their wedding)...and the tammy if you need a wider end.
Sweeet perspective you got ahead of you, hope all goes well

02-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I got a lot of good advice from you all.