Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Keep K-x buy premium lens, get K-r and get good lens, get the K-7 w/ lens or K-5?

I am really trying to make some decisions based on the needs I have for my photography but would like some insight from the Pentax community.* I currently have the K-x with a SMCP-FA*50mm f1.4 lens, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens, andd the Kit 18-55mm lens, and I have 3 flashes and shoot off camera flash a lot.* I shoot portraits, baby, infant, couple, engagement, and family portraits.* I will shoot weddings maybe later this year so great ISO performance is important to me. *So the question…should I keep my K-x and buy a nice DA* 50-135mm f2.8 (either that or the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8), sell my K-x (hopefully will get $420 for it) and get the K-r (I like the auto focus assist lamp, better AF, and higher res screen) for $560 (buy.com) and because I’m not having to spend a lot of money I would get another nice telephoto lens as well but not as good as the ones I mentioned earlier, sell the K-x and get the K-7 (since it’s similar to the K-5 but worse ISO performance and slower autofocus) and get a so-so lens, or sell the K-x and get the K-5 and just keep the equipment I have.* There is going to be a trade off somewhere so I’m wondering what would make the most sense based on what I shoot.* What do you all think?

02-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your question is hard to read: So I have taken the liberty of putting it in an easier format for people to follow i.e more spacing. Hope u don't mind:

I am really trying to make some decisions based on the needs I have for my photography but would like some insight from the Pentax community.*

I currently have:
the K-x with a SMCP-FA*50mm f1.4 lens, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens, andd the Kit 18-55mm lens, and I have 3 flashes and shoot off camera flash a lot.* I shoot portraits, baby, infant, couple, engagement, and family portraits.* I will shoot weddings maybe later this year so great ISO performance is important to me.

*So the question…should I keep my K-x and buy a nice DA* 50-135mm f2.8 (either that or the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8),

sell my K-x (hopefully will get $420 for it) and get the K-r (I like the auto focus assist lamp, better AF, and higher res screen) for $560 (buy.com) and because I’m not having to spend a lot of money I would get another nice telephoto lens as well but not as good as the ones I mentioned earlier,

sell the K-x and get the K-7 (since it’s similar to the K-5 but worse ISO performance and slower autofocus) and get a so-so lens,

or sell the K-x and get the K-5 and just keep the equipment I have.*

There is going to be a trade off somewhere so I’m wondering what would make the most sense based on what I shoot.* What do you all think?
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks lol

Any advice on my dilemma?
02-03-2011, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

The first thing you need to do is keep the K-x and buy another body if you are going to cover events for pay. If all you can afford is a 2nd hand K-x then that will have to be it.

Next thing to purchase could be the 50-135

After that the 12-24.

That's my 2c, from a rank ametuer who owns a K-x and nice lenses

02-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's hard to say as my first instinct is to typically suggest the K-5. In your case, especially if you're thinking of shooting weddings, I'd say a good telephoto would be the better choice. I've shot two weddings for friends and the 50-135mm came in handy, especially when you want to be more stealthy. Same goes for either the Tamron or Sigma you mentioned.

IMO, I would skip the K-7 if you're concerned about getting high ISO shots. Most weddings can go from daylight settings to very low-light environments. I know you use off-camera flash, but during a wedding things are fast pace and you may not always have time to stage the lighting. Either of the other 3 cameras would work better due to their High ISO range, especially paired with an f/2.8 lens or better.
02-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can changeover the Kx for Kr for $140, do it (unless you need WR) and look for the best value lens that suits your needs. Obviously you would keep the FA50 and the Tamron.

I am still working with trusty *istDS and mostly ordinary glass. I am on the way to invest in K5, but first listed what I wanted/needed in better (but not too expensive) lenses. It is now a case of watching ebay, Forum marketplace, etc., to see what opportunities arrive. I just picked up a Tamron SP 90mm Macro and can't believe what a difference it makes to the output of the DS. (The Tammy is a very nice portrait lens as well as macro, but a bit of a fiddle to switch between AF and MF)

I would rather Kx/Kr and better lens than K7 and so-so lens.

Last edited by rod_grant; 02-03-2011 at 07:46 PM.
02-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are using your camera to shoot for cash, or even if it is just for friends, people will be counting on you. If you are doing it for money, you will need at least one more body, and it should be a K5 I would think. The Kx is a fine camera, but what happens if your only camera quits in the middle of a wedding shoot? This way, you could have your Tamron on one camera, and the 50 on the other. That should be fine, for openers.

Of course, I am not a pro, but them's my thoughts on the matter anyway.

02-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The first thing you need to do is keep the K-x and buy another body if you are going to cover events for pay. If all you can afford is a 2nd hand K-x then that will have to be it.

Next thing to purchase could be the 50-135

After that the 12-24.

That's my 2c, from a rank ametuer who owns a K-x and nice lenses
When I do shoot my first wedding I'm going to rent the K5 so I'll have 2 bodies. Thanks for the advice.
02-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The first thing you need to do is keep the K-x and buy another body if you are going to cover events for pay.
+1

All the lenses in the world are useless is if the camera fails, is lost or stolen, etc.
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
+1

All the lenses in the world are useless is if the camera fails, is lost or stolen, etc.
For weddings I'm going to rent a second body.
02-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

You have an SMCP-FA*50mm f1.4 lens?

I would like to see what one looks like. Can you post a photo of it?

02-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Thanks lol

Any advice on my dilemma?
I was waiting to see what others would say first:
As someone said, if you are being paid, you do need 2 bodies.

k5: mine was freezing and is with pentax for service or replacement currently. I would not buy a k5 if I were in your shoes until they have updated their firmware and whatever else they need to do.

kr plus cheaper zoom: guess it would depend on the quality of the lens you get for the cheaper price.

keep Kx + 50-135: great lens!
[SDM could crash. Mine has not but it is a nagging thought]. If you are always going to rent a second body for weddings it may get expensive though. If you don't do too many weddings, I would get a nice lens b4 I go anywhere near upgrading the body.
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Generally speaking usually advise to upgrade lenses before bodies. The DA*50-135 is an excellent choice for events and you will definitely need it soon. I don't think that the k-7 is a good choice due to its ISO performance. I just bought the K-5 and its amazing in every way. But I think you are really struggling in the telephoto range. You may want to fill that out first before you go for another body. The K-r is an excellent camera and certainly fill your needs but in terms of priorities it doesn't add that much over your K-x.

So if I were you, I'd buy the DA*50-135. Get some events and cash under your belt, and the K-5 will pay for itself in no time.
02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Less expensive body (duplicate the K-x you have), and more expensive lenses.
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I would purchase a second body that way you don't run into the situations that were mentioned before. A good lens would be awesome but if your doing professionally if you body fails your effectively out of work until it is replaced and if you are at an event that it going to cost you.