Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will the "next" k-r have the k-5 sensor?

So....what do you think - will it? Will the relentless technology advances and market migration push the current k-5 sensor into whatever the next k-r model is? I have to admit, the only reason that I'm very interested in the k-5 for camera next is the ultra-sweet sensor in it. But the price leap from k-r to k-5 is HUGE, and all I really want is the sensor. For the next camera do I: a) Cringe, and pay for k-5, or b) Settle for the k-r, or c) Wait for the k-5 sensor to show up in the k-r next generation (at a manageable price increase)? Thanks, Glenn

02-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member

Well. You do pay for the fantastic build of the K5. And the extra dials. And the WR. I would suggest waiting for the K5 price to drop.
02-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

...or buy a Sony A55 or Sony A580....costs half of the K-5 and has same sensor.

Jason
02-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He probably has some pentax glass and may not be willing to change systems...so wait till the price drops...it's bound to go down...just hold on with what you have till the K5 is older.

02-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
He probably has some pentax glass and may not be willing to change systems...so wait till the price drops...it's bound to go down...just hold on with what you have till the K5 is older.
Yes, correct about the glass, AND when I've held/shot a Sony in stores it has just not done much for me, AND I have a belief that those Sony models do not bring as much of the full capability of the sensor out like Pentax (and Nikon) have. Best current strategy is to wait on the k-5 for a while, but the thought that the k-5 sensor could show up in the k-r intrigued me. After all, does not Canon use the same sensor for 7D, D60, and T2i?
02-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think the follower of K-r will have the K-5 sensor. The K-r doesn't have a K-7 sensor or a sensor with the resolution of the K-7, so my expectation is that Pentax has now settled on a 12MP entry level camera and higher resolutions will be seen only in the high end models.

Get the K-r as it is - based on my experience with the K-x, I believe it's a great camera and has a great sensor as is.
02-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't think so. I agree that 10 to 12 mp with some HD video capabilities for beginners would be the norm for future models.
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Yes, correct about the glass, AND when I've held/shot a Sony in stores it has just not done much for me, AND I have a belief that those Sony models do not bring as much of the full capability of the sensor out like Pentax (and Nikon) have. Best current strategy is to wait on the k-5 for a while, but the thought that the k-5 sensor could show up in the k-r intrigued me. After all, does not Canon use the same sensor for 7D, D60, and T2i?
not sure what you're talking about, if you take the pictures in raw, then it's all the same, no processing added to the image, in fact it's probably quite hard to tell images of different camera using the same sensor besides from the color production. and aside from that there are minor difference between the different camera, but not much to warrant twice the price....

But the truth is, the A580 is a good 800, not 1/2 of the K-5 like someone stated, they're quite close in price, and so is the D7000.