Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Silkypix and ICC printer profile problem

I've tried to use a printer ICC profile supplied by a pro photo lab in order to preview in Silkypix the final output results. However, I noticed that the colors looked too strange after loading the profile (too much orange saturation, for example). Out of curiosity, I loaded the same profile into PS and the results were much more reasonable.
I asked Silkypix support about why the software was not using the ICC profile properly and got the following response (after sending them the actual ICC file for inspection):

"However, the ICC profile that you sent was a profile for printers.
"SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0" does not support the ICC profile for the printer.
Unfortunately, "SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0"
does not support the color management for the printer.
We hope you will understand this situation."

Does this mean that Silkypix doesn't support ANY printer ICC profile or just the particular one I've tried to use? Has anyone tried this before? I'm not experienced in color management and profiling so any comments will be much appreciated.

10-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe that you can change color profile of working area only, while SilkyPix can only develop in sRGB and AdobeRGB. I guess you'll have to convert color profile of your pictures after raw processing.
10-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

FDM,

Silkypix does not use color management for printing. I don't know what printer you use, but when I hit print in Silkypix, I can go to Printer Setting then Properties next to the selected printer and set CM there. I use HP so everything is SRGB for me. I had a Kodak Pro that had to use CM, so I would print everything from Photoshop E3.0. I never liked Silkypix's print layout. I use Picasa for most of my printing now. It's screen to photo output are excellent IMHO. Picasa does not support print CM but it is free.

Good Luck,
Chuck