Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
? need help upgrading K7 firmware ?

I'm having a problem upgrading to the newest version firmware for my K7.

I have successfully downloaded the firmware to my PC. Have opened it and extracted the two files, README and fwdc204b.bin.

I copied & pasted the firmware file from my PC onto a formatted SD card. The SD card shows it does contain the new firmware file in the root directory.

Having loaded the SD card into my K7 and holding down the menu button as I power up, the lcd reads V1.0 and then proceeds to the standard menu options. I never get the "NOW LOADING" or "PROGRAM UPDATE" prompts as per the Pentax instructions.

My battery is fully charged and I've attempted my upgrade using two different SD cards. I'm stumped. What am I doing wrong ? Any suggestions ?

02-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Part 2 of my story ...

Hi Again,

I've been researching old threads regarding my problem and I think I've found my solution but don't know how to correct it.

I've been pasting the firmware bin. file to my card via "h" drive (my memory card reader) to DCIM, which I presumed was the root directory of my SD card. i.e - h/DCIM. My ? is, where is the root file exactly and how can I find it ?

Thanks.
02-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Format the SD card, then copy the .bin file to it. It does not go in a DCIM folder! The root is always the lowest level of any file system.

Assuming your card will be the H: drive, you should see h:/ fwdc204b.bin.
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Success !!

Thank you JohnX for your help. You were exactly right, I had been pasting the firmware file into the DCIM folder. I have now learned that it stands for " digital camera images" folder and that's where my images are stored onto the SD card. My firmware upgrade was completed just as my Pentax instructions said it would.

Whew !

02-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need to format the card. Just make sure you can see your BIN AND the DCIM directory when you look at it. If you are formatting the card in your camera it will always leave the DCIM directory. I've never once formatted the card before updating (perhaps some day to my own peril).