Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Difference between DNG and PEF?

Hi,

What is the difference between DNG and Pentax PEF raw formats? Any practical advantage on one vs. the other?

Thanks,

02-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Difference is in the name only. Others may disagree, but that's normal for a forum environment.

Jason
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

The main difference is that PEF uses lossless compression on older DSLRs while DNG does not. Pentax introduced lossless compression for DNG files on the K7 & K-x.
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jasvox is right. We could debate on and on the merits of each format, but basically they are conceptually the same thing. They are two different file formats fr storing RAW data, DNG being an open specification developed by Adobr, and PEF is a proprietary spec developed by Pentax.

Every camera manufacturer has their own spec for their RAW files, Nikon has NEF, Canon has CRW and CR2, which is why Adobe brought DNG to the party. If everyone adopted DNG, it would make interoperability a little easier.

02-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The main difference is that PEF uses lossless compression on older DSLRs while DNG does not. Pentax introduced lossless compression for DNG files on the K7 & K-x.
My dng files from the K-x seem larger than PEF files from the K20d. Is there a particular version of the K-x firmware where the compression came in, or is it just not as compact as PEF?
02-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #6

I just wasted a set of batteries getting to know my new friend, and the Kx 1.02 firmware (before i shot the first picture that was done) dng are a few bytes larger than pef and that exact number of bytes show in a few additional/differnt exif fields as far as I can see so far.
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

i would say the biggest differrence comes in lightroom where the color profile embedded into dng makes the pic look almost the same as in camera. also, the carrier files from lr need to be in separate files with pef whereas lr stores them right into dng files.
02-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The big point for me was the PEF is supported only by Pentax. DNG being supported by Adobe would seem to me more secure in terms of being able to access your files 10 or 20 years from now.

02-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The big point for me was the PEF is supported only by Pentax. DNG being supported by Adobe would seem to me more secure in terms of being able to access your files 10 or 20 years from now.
Not entirely true. PEF is also supported by Capture One but C1 does not support Pentax DNG.

The decision on which format to choose is to pick the one supported by the software you will use.

Trust me. I raise goats.
02-06-2011, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

As an aside, the Adobe .DNG format is not open - it's owned and licensed by Adobe.

The clear advantage I see is that PP software tends to support .DNG quickly but .PEF not so quickly. In particular, I find that I can readily use older Adobe software with .DNG from a new Pentax body. But Adobe will not support new bodies in older versions of PS Elements, for example, using the manufacturers' raw file format. We must upgrade to the current PSE version, at nearly the retail price, to get .PEF support.

If you want to take an extra step, Adobe Camera Raw (free) will allow you to convert from .PEF to .DNG. Then you can use the new .DNG as input to the package you'd like.

Sounds like more complications than I need so I've always shot in .DNG and never had a disappointment or reason to change.

Others will have different views.

PS: My Scotch dispensers lack tape. Clearly an oversight to be remedied. Does yellow gaffers' tape go well with Balvenie Doublewood?

Last edited by glanglois; 02-06-2011 at 01:56 PM.
02-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
PS: My Scotch dispensers lack tape. Clearly an oversight to be remedied. Does yellow gaffers' tape go well with Balvenie Doublewood?
I would go with duct tape. It goes with everything, and always adds a layer of sophistication.
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As an aside, the Adobe .DNG format is not open - it's owned and licensed by Adobe.
At least it is documented, and since there are open implementations it would seem that the licensing restrictions are not especially onerous. I wonder if it is possible to "own" even a proprietary specification as such unless there are patents involved? (Maybe having to wonder is enough, though ).
02-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

It's actually pretty wide open as far as a specification goes. You can create anything you want against the standard royalty free. They even give you the rights to any patents needed to implement DNG. That's better then you get with specifications even from standards bodies. I'm looking at you ITU.

Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG): License
02-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
It's actually pretty wide open as far as a specification goes. You can create anything you want against the standard royalty free. They even give you the rights to any patents needed to implement DNG. That's better then you get with specifications even from standards bodies. I'm looking at you ITU.

Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG): License
Thanks, that's helpful.

It is not, in its current state, particularly onerous. I expect that it will stay like that. We're grateful for it.

But it's still Adobe's ....
02-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #15

On my K-X, DNG files tend to be bigger than the PEF files. I am aware though that some camera DNGs are not read by software that claims to read DNGs. In my case, I had to reconvert those DNG files through the Adobe DNG converter before the 'new' DNG files could be read by the software. Admittedly, it was old S/W that I no longer use.

But technically, camera DNGs do differ from DNG conversions done by the Adobe converter - the difference seems to affect their readability, not the actual picture data but not being expect with this, someone may want to correct my impression.

Currently I use PEF because it works with the raw processor provided by Pentax and I can convert these PEFs to DNG with the Adobe converter if I need to use DNG files.

There are differences in information storage between the formats but I can't see pictorial differences in processed files.

I'm using PEF as the default file, knowing I can convert these to DNG if I have to do that for any reason. I have no fears regarding Adobe's evil intentions to take over the world through the DNG format and no fears regarding Pentax's imminent demise. Use whatever suits you and dont worry about your choice.