Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, here we go again

I expect this offer to emerge late 2011 and a new full frame generation would be due for Photokina 2012 This round would include Pentax.

I've no insight info but that's my best guess predicting various events.

Wow! Then they must be really busy now, making mirrorles cameras, lenses for them. AND at the same time putting a gigantic amount of cash and R&D into a new FF camera and most importantly, a lens system. That will also have to fit and meet the high resolution of the new sensors 36 Mpixels. Im afraid the old lenses just wont justify making an FF camera for them only, because there's not many still in production. And they would need at least two new zooms with with WR (to keep the good tradition), DC/SDM and fast apertures like 2,8. Oh yes, they will need a new kit zoom to!

All this? On last years earnings? Or do they count on this years earnings?

I think your guess is really good. And i hope it will be true!

02-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Probabaly Pentax still figuring out how to assemble/disassemble there telephoto lens in seconds.
Pentax patents telephoto lens that can be taken apart for easy transportation | Photo Rumors
Wow is that ever going to hit the market?
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
I think the K-3 middle of next year is using the same Sensor like the K-5,but improved and new processor,new AF System and Design,more speed and a tack bigger Body.
Then I'm not gonna worry in 2011 and just shoot along with my two K-5's.
02-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I checked that patent and like it a lot.

I've quite a collection of images that need to be un-taken ....

(If that makes no sense, take a peek at the patent linked.)
02-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Probably 2012. with all the patents lately surfacing Pentax. Most likely 2012. Also, if anybody remembers the name of the Pentax Rep. saying "We never rule anyhting out" probably this includes FF. But still Pentax will check the Market and the demands aside from Pentaxians.

Maybe they might use a survey for Nikon and Canon FF users. The Question would be "If Pentax release a FF Camera will you consider switching Brand?" If photography is your business will get support and discounts for the switch.

02-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Till today is not one Sensor made by Nikon in the house
I think the K-3 middle of next year is using the same Sensor like the K-5,but improved and new processor,new AF System and Design,more speed and a tack bigger Body.
All things I don't need... A K-3 would need more than this to be sellable to current K-5 owners!
02-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been thinking about the DA lenses on full frame. It seems likely they are compatible to a lesser or greater extent depending on the lens and the aperture used. I know that Nikon has the ability to just use a straight APS-C crop on their full frame cameras with their Dx lenses, but I wondered if Pentax did go full frame if they could institute some sort of "lens correction" feature that would vary the crop factor based on the known qualities of a given lens and its compatability with a full frame sensor.
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Speculation, not news or rumor.
moving to DSLR forum.

02-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And nothing before? Because at Nikon site they expect D4x sooner then in this timeline.
Not me to know.
But from what I read, Sony will first finish their A700 successor and then will reconsider the FF topic.

This is what Sony's Weir is saying:
QuoteQuote:
Weir: With the technology platforms that we have and that we've introduced in 2010, we believe that we'll be able to move forward and develop a mid-class model -- an enthusiast model -- which will offer new advantages and new technologies that are not available on the market today. You know, we absolutely understand and value the point about the continuity that an interim A700 successor model would have offered, but we prioritized the development of new capabilities, new benefits, and new technologies such that the A700 successor will be a truly unique and revolutionary product.
and

QuoteQuote:
Weir: This has led to longer life cycles for full-frame cameras, and whereas a mainstream or enthusiast-class APS-C model might have a 12 or 18 month life cycle, we see the full-frame cameras having two and three-year model life cycles. It's kind of a balance for the manufacturers.
and

QuoteQuote:
Weir: Correct. I think it came as a surprise to many; the emergence and the popularity of the top-end APS-C models that are available in the industry. They've actually taken quite a bit of the share from the mainstream-priced, full-frame models. That's something that I think all manufacturers have noticed.
(from Imaging Resources interview)

This is why I think it will take a bit longer till the next roundup of FF models. But as manufacturing cost decrease, sooner or ater, FF will stop to be niche.
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax will never release a Full Frame, so people, stop hoarding those FA Limiteds and release them on the market.
02-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Pentax will never release a Full Frame, so people, stop hoarding those FA Limiteds and release them on the market.
Hmm, I've been using those FA Limiteds on cropped cameras for over 6 years, they've been working just fine
02-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #26
Forum Member

Now give information about the FF would kill sales of K-5. So do not count on rumors in this topic.
02-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #27
Forum Member

IMHO oczywiście...
02-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
All things I don't need... A K-3 would need more than this to be sellable to current K-5 owners!
This is exactly the question that Pentax and Hoya are asking right now. What do we need to do to follow up the K5. I suppose they could do some tweaks to the software here and there, give more video modes, but I just don't really see those things selling a lot of cameras.

In my opinion, the bigger thing than a new camera is that Pentax needs to up date their lenses. Either bring out a 28-80 f2.8 and 80-200 f2.8 with speedy in lens motors, or up date the 16-50/50-135 to that. Durability questions aside, auto focus will always lag somewhat as long as we are dealing with SDM.
02-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To jest właśnie pytanie, Pentax i Hoya pytają teraz. Co musimy zrobić, aby śledzić K5. Przypuszczam, że mogą zrobić kilka poprawek do oprogramowania, tu i tam, dać więcej trybów wideo, ale po prostu nie widzisz tych rzeczy sprzedaje wiele kamer.
- 2 x SD
- więcej punktów AF
- AF double cross
- grupowanie punktów AF
- small RAW (like in Canon)
- new P-TTL
02-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #30
Veteran Member

With no FF lenses in the line-up? Wishful thinking....