Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JGB Quote
7018 is Aluminium, isn't it?
That really sucks, was it just a small MIG setup, or something more powerful being used?

I like the latest shot a lot, it's cool to see the welder facing the photo, and still see the work being done at the same time.
Nah!.... 70,000 tensile. Low hydrogen. All position. 1/8". Pretty much what every body uses. It's my favourite rod.
It was a structural steel job. The welder didn't shield the ark properly (probably never crossed his mind) and my friend didn't realise he was going blind. It took two work days before it dawned on him.
Some people are more susceptible then others also. Better safe then sorry. I've been flash burned pretty bad, MIG welding in shorts and a T. It doesn't take long, even with a little portable 110V job.

02-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #32
JGB
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
Nah!.... 70,000 tensile. Low hydrogen. All position. 1/8". Pretty much what every body uses. It's my favourite rod.
It was a structural steel job. The welder didn't shield the ark properly (probably never crossed his mind) and my friend didn't realise he was going blind. It took two work days before it dawned on him.
Some people are more susceptible then others also. Better safe then sorry. I've been flash burned pretty bad, MIG welding in shorts and a T. It doesn't take long, even with a little portable 110V job.

Ouch that really sucks, 2 days is a fair bit of exposure, I'm surprised no one got on the welder's case before then.
Health and Safety should have chewed him out at least.

I certainly didn't say prescription/clear safety glasses were good for welding with, but they do help with reflected light, or accidents. IIRC though I've lost the link, people who wear glasses all the time have lower rates of cataracts and other sun damage to their eyes as well.

I've got a tan on my hands before(fiddly welds I couldn't manage in gloves, 4 hrs at least of welding, I was making some inflated steel sculptures of fish), and the guy building my bike got a sunburn(he was on antibiotics that make you UV sensitive, and there was probably 10 hours of welding that day)
Pretty funny to see since he was wearing a tank top, gave him some great tan lines when it was done.
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Ouch that really sucks, 2 days is a fair bit of exposure, I'm surprised no one got on the welder's case before then.
Who knew?
Yeah...almost any pair of plastic glasses will block out some UV. Poly carbonate is a good UV blocker. Not 100% tho. And you need peripheral protection. I know that first hand.
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people are more susceptible then others also
I am one of them, can`t use an automatic helmet because of the switching delay.

Might just try to take some welding pictures next time I have a chance. I will use my work K7 not my personal one, just to be safe.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-15-2011 at 03:12 PM.
02-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #35
JGB
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I am one of them, can`t use an automatic helmet because of the switching delay.

That sucks. Do they even make large windowed helmets without it these days?

After all the talk about how bad it can be, I'm thinking of trying to find one to mail to the guy who welded up my rack recently, or at least some dark tinted welding glasses like for use with gas torches.
Automatic filters, or anything needing batteries will get used until it stops working, then chucked I suspect, I don't even know if he would wear a helmet, glasses I'm sure he would.

Good plan on the work camera, lol.
Definitely try a polarizing filter, makes the welding easier to see. Maybe flash as well, for me it seemed to help balance the picture a bit, otherwise everything near the torch is blown. Though it might drive the welder nuts!
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I am sure you can get a large non automatic one for fairly cheap.
The auto-helmets that we have are photo cell powered with a backup battery, have not changed any batteries yet.
My Huntsman, with original # 10 filter that came with it is my all-around MIG helmet No additional sunglasses needed. The MIG arc is nice and "yellowish" and easy on eyes.
The high current TIG stuff with highly reflective bright aluminum is a different story.
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I've seen some very good captures using the arc as a rim light. I thought I had one but it didn't get used and probably got filed in the trash folder.
02-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Though it might drive the welder nuts!
That is funny. make the guy jump and mess up an important weld, he`ll be happy with you and invite you there again for more photo opportunities.

02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #39
Site Supporter

You can get one for peanuts,WeldingDepot -- Economy Welding Helmet 4-1/2" x 5-1/4" Fixed Front
Ten bucks plus s&h to preserve eyesight, why not?, everyone should own one.
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the exact severity of it, I just feel that it is best taken on a case by case basis,

What a load of bollocks!

JGB, you're digging yourself into a hole and you just can't see it, and you never will if you still believe that an occasional glance at a hobby welder is any less harmful that an industrial welder.

And the skin rash isn't sunburn, it's burn, it's painful and harmful and there's no tan at the end of it.
02-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #41
JGB
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That is funny. make the guy jump and mess up an important weld, he`ll be happy with you and invite you there again for more photo opportunities.

Especially if you stand behind him for the shot, a good flash reflected off the inside of his shield and he'll be sure to suggest a beer or two after the job's done too.
02-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
hobby welder is any less harmful that an industrial welder.
Let the boy be Lloydy,I know your right,hundreds of thousands in my country
know your right.Your just going to give yourself a headache you dont deserve.
Been a construction electrician 36 years,have done my share of welding.Flash
burns from other sources are something I will not talk about.Dealing with the
heartbreak currently of 2 close friends and brothers who are out of the trade
and whos lives will never be same as a result.Wont talk about more horrific events
out of respect of friends and families involving 5 individuals Ive known and lost
in the course of my 36 years experience.
Knock your self out JGB,be happy now,it wont last.
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #43
JGB
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the exact severity of it, I just feel that it is best taken on a case by case basis,

What a load of bollocks!

JGB, you're digging yourself into a hole and you just can't see it, and you never will if you still believe that an occasional glance at a hobby welder is any less harmful that an industrial welder.

And the skin rash isn't sunburn, it's burn, it's painful and harmful and there's no tan at the end of it.
Are you're saying that a machine drawing 5-10x the power isn't going to cause any more harm, or cause it any faster?

I am not, nor have I ever denied that it IS harmful. It is.
I agree with you on that.

All my original point many posts ago was about was the level of protection I personally have used, seen other use, with an explanation while shooting people welding, and while learning to weld, and then doing it for my own projects and for work, as a comment that I have not experienced any negative effects from UV through the lens.

Tan lines are a description that is easier to get when reading words on the internet. While bent over welding on the floor, his shirt was in one position, sitting and standing it stays in another, the result, like the lines that people get from wearing bathing suit tops and sitting in the sun was pretty amusing.

Yes the more protection that can be used the better. Yes horrific injuries are possible with UV exposure, however most are longer term risks, or direct exposure to an arc.

I did not realize that severe injury was possible so easily, after working so long with it, and with others who have experienced no major effects, even after nearly 50 years of doing it the same way without seeing any signs of them.

So the discussion wasn't entirely for nothing, plus if I can find a way to get the address, someone's getting a free welding helmet

Last edited by JGB; 02-15-2011 at 09:24 PM.
02-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Which is more dangerous? a .22 short or a 20 Mike Mike Vulcan?
Kinda silly but......
What BillM is talking about is high voltage flash. Not 220 or 480. Like 46000V. The plasma from a breaker opening will kill you instantly.

Just be careful. And be careful what you tell others particularly about stuff that can hurt you.
02-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Which is more dangerous? a .22 short or a 20 Mike Mike Vulcan?
The Vulcan will cause more spillage. The .22 requires more "exposure".