Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D rocks, with a reasonable lens.

Caught this cute little guy a few minutes ago with my K10D and Sigma 70-300mm DG APO in macro mode at 300mm.

Larger shot here. Flickr Photo Download: Yellow-Spider

Attached Images

Last edited by peted; 12-09-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add link.
12-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad you like that APO version of Sigma... It is considered by many in the Canon world (yes, I still own 350D too) to be the best lens in that segment (mostly used for birds and animal photo on the budget), but was interested on how well it performs on K10D.

Regards,
D
12-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Wow! Nice shot and color.
What do these lenses go for in USD?
And how heavy?
Friend has a Quanatry 70-300 with macro capability.
Are these similar lenses?
12-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Wow! Nice shot and color.
What do these lenses go for in USD?
And how heavy?
Friend has a Quanatry 70-300 with macro capability.
Are these similar lenses?
I bought this one through B&H, currently US$219, the APO version is better for CA. The Quantary would probably be the same or similar to the non APO version.

12-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Still dumb about most lense acronyms. Please enlighten CA and APO. Thanks.
12-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Still dumb about most lense acronyms. Please enlighten CA and APO. Thanks.
CA=Chromatic Aberration

APO (not an acronym, it just is shorthand for apochromatic, meaning non color fringed)

Sigma 70-300mm APO Zoom
12-10-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What a colourful shot you have!

The yellow colour really stands out. It seems this lens is a great combination with k10d as well.

p.s. I read a lot that Sigma 70-300mm APO does not go too well with canon set up. At least I have seen catastrophies from that lens first hand on DPR. Maybe it was all the photographer's fault...

You used it well

12-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
Before I bought this lens I had seen some macro shots with the lens using a D70, I think the photographer is much better than me but I was so impressed that I put my order in straight away. The light was actually a bit dull and there was a bit of wind so I was a bit lucky really with this shot.

12-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Its not the best lens out there unless you consider its price and flexibility.
Its much sharper in the centre of the frame, so for macros and wildlife its absolutely fine.
Its a bit slow for sport and airshows etc.
I have one and within its limitations its fine. The APO version is better than the non APO version, but its a bit rich to call it fully apochromatic. I also think its better than the competing Tamron and on a par with the Pentax FA-J70-300, which is to say its a reasonable budget tele lens.
12-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Its not the best lens out there unless you consider its price and flexibility.
Its much sharper in the centre of the frame, so for macros and wildlife its absolutely fine.
Its a bit slow for sport and airshows etc.
I have one and within its limitations its fine. The APO version is better than the non APO version, but its a bit rich to call it fully apochromatic. I also think its better than the competing Tamron and on a par with the Pentax FA-J70-300, which is to say its a reasonable budget tele lens.
Yes. Not sure who called it "fully apochromatic" but it does have SLD glass and even better lenses will only have as much SLD/ED glass as they need to do the job, at US$219 it does a fine job for many budget photographers at a low price.

It should do better on an APS-C digital rather than a film camera or FF sensor digital due to the smaller sweet spot required.
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

unless u want to pay mega bucks there isnt much choice with this type of lens.. its mass market or a fortune for anything better..

the cheap tamrom is nice and sharp but suffers from chromatics a little bit.. i am waiting for the sigma apo dg to arrive to compare them.. if its as sharp as the tamrom with less fringes i will consider it worth the extra money..

trog