Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What is Sv Mode good for? (on K-x & K-r)

Is Sv just another exclusive to Pentax gimmick?

No one ever seems to discuss it here, or elsewhere, so I thought I'd ask.

And if it isn't a gimmick, then why haven't all the big players jumped on it and added to their offerings?
They aren't stupid, and even if it were trademarked (ha ha), they'd develop a similar alternative if they thought warranted, for their consumers.

In many ways, to me there seems compelling reason to use it, esp. because it's so annoying when the camera can't seem to resist throwing the ISO setting into huge silly figures whenever it feels like it.
End result; noise you'd prefer not to have and you're left to wonder why it didn't compromise elsewhere when the prevailing conditions were pretty obvious, and could have accommodated - even to a noob's brain.

Isn't the role of automation to be smarter than a noob human? Surely.

Except... why bother locking on Sv, when that same (manual) ISO control adjustment is easily accessible via its own dedicated position on the 4-way?

Next question: How many of you regularly, even occassionally, use Sv mode?

I just can't conceptualise where or how it might have a justified place for sufficient quantity of users to genuinely need it.

.R. -- featuritis is fun in the short term, but can get awfully boring very quick.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-09-2011 at 02:31 AM.
02-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually ever since I got DA lenses I just set the P mode to MTF and just shoot Program line. Very rarely I shoot Av. Sv mode never.
02-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

But since you asked Sv mode offers the equivalent of being able to select film speed in the days of film, something that is as easily achieved by using the iso button, however it offers a quick way of overriding auto iso. But I agree its gimmicky.
02-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I never use it. Normally I use Av or Tv with fixed ISO where possible, or Auto ISO 100-3200 depending on the situation I find myself in.

02-09-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, it is useful for ISO bracketting when you are sailing close to the wind (ie around 3200) shooting action. This way you can very quickly trade ISO for shutter without digging through the menu at the back (chances are aperture is already wide open at those ISO's).
02-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found great use of Sv mode on my k10/k20 for use in low light situations. For example, in shooting concerts or shooting night scenes like Xmas lights. Sv mode lets me vary my ISO to changing light situations. It took me some time to figure it out but like a lot of Pentax 'gimmicks' when you do understand it, it becomes obvious like, ahah! of course that's just what I needed.

I'm still working understanding TvAv mode though.
02-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's just a third variable, which is useful if you want to fix down the other two. In a body such as the k-7 which has a dedicated ISO button I suppose it's less useful, but it is quicker - to change the ISO with the button you have to press the button and turn the dial. In SV you just dial.

TAv is useful if you want a 'correct' exposure with a set shutter speed and aperture.

02-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yes, it is useful for ISO bracketting when you are sailing close to the wind (ie around 3200) shooting action. This way you can very quickly trade ISO for shutter without digging through the menu at the back (chances are aperture is already wide open at those ISO's).
In other words, exactly as Tv would do in that situation? Trade ISO for shutter speed I mean?

I guess it comes down to what you feel is the greatest threat to your images in a given situation.
Afraid of DOF errors: use Av
Afraid of motion blur or camera shake: use Tv
Afraid of noise: use Sv
All of the above: use P :-)

Sincerely,
--Anders.
02-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
In other words, exactly as Tv would do in that situation? Trade ISO for shutter speed I mean?
Well it's a more direct control, if I want to bracket ISO then I want to spin the wheel and control ISO. Shutter is indirect, and if the exposure reading is moving won't give me the indirect result I was after anyway.
02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sv mode on my K-x was good for ruining my landscape photos when the mode dial accidentally turned while pulling it out of my bag, putting it at ISO 3200 or higher. Happened more than a few times.
Other than that, I basically never used it because there was nothing it could do that P mode and a couple button presses couldn't do in about 3 seconds.

It's even more pointless on my K-5, but at least there's no chance of accidentally switching to it. Hyper P mode is the best invention ever: Av, Tv and "Sv" modes all no more than a single touch of a dial or button away, without ever touching the mode dial. TAv mode is pretty sweet too; useful for certain unique situations like capturing snowfall, or when I want a certain aperture and am confident that I can handhold it at slower shutter speeds than the P line chooses (which is typically 2x the necessary speed going by the 1/f rule even without SR).

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Is Sv just another exclusive to Pentax gimmick?

No one ever seems to discuss it here, or elsewhere, so I thought I'd ask.

.R. -- featuritis is fun in the short term, but can get awfully boring very quick.
Hey Hypocorism, thanks for bringing that up - I was just wondering about Sv's functionality & found your post.
Love your quote too

I'm still trying to get my head around the modes (P in particular has me confused but I'm slowly gaining an understanding of the others)
- but I guess it's just a case of getting out there & playing
04-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have set the front e-dial to ISO in almost all shooting modes. And the rear e-dial to Aperture in Av mode, and to Shutter in Tv mode and so on. I keep changing the ISO as required through the front e-dial. Now here is the fun part. I shoot mostly in Av mode, say aperture f8 and ISO 100, and the camera sets the Shutter speed. I make sure that the camera does not set a speed lower than 1/100 since my hands are no longer steady. If it sets a slower shutter speed, I change the ISO to a higher setting on the fly and presto I have a great shot.
Well the Sv mode may have better uses!?
04-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I personally think Sv on the mode dial is useless because you can achieve the same thing in P mode with more flexibility.

TAV on the other hand is not a gimmick - this is a very useful mode when you want to make a photo that has for example, both shallow DOF and slow shutter.
04-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spesholized Quote
I personally think Sv on the mode dial is useless because you can achieve the same thing in P mode with more flexibility.

TAV on the other hand is not a gimmick - this is a very useful mode when you want to make a photo that has for example, both shallow DOF and slow shutter.
And that would lead to overexposure in normal lighting conditions
04-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

In Sv mode, you set the ISO and the camera sets the Aperture and Shutter for you.
Yes all of you know this, and we also know that the camera's computer is pretty smart in setting the aperture and shutter for an optimum photo.
But most photographers cannot cede control to a smart computer (pride comes in the way for me) as the aperture chosen by the camera may not have enough DOF or the shutter speed may not be fast enough or .......
Just as I hate a computer program that takes control of my computer instead of me.
Conceded that TAv is a better option.
Here is what the Magic Lantern Guide says about the Sv mode - see attachment.
By the way MLG gives better clarity than the "Japlish" Pentax Manual. I have the eBook from IndiaTimes Shopping.

Last edited by nanhi; 11-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.