Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #1

Shooting in the winter

Hi all,

As winter here in Canada is approching I have a quick question. I know that the manual says not to use the camera [ *ist DL ] under 0degressC but since it gets a lot colder than that here in Canada I was curious how people go about shooting things outdoors in the winter. Do you buy a special case or something to keep the camera warm and just leave a hole for the lens and VF or what? Ive never really shot anything in the winter and would be curious as to how people go about it, if at all.

Thanks

10-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/11767-winter-its-way.html

Take a look at this post
10-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that! Dont know how that escaped my search..

Thanks
10-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well living in the Arctics I guess I do know a little about shooting in extremely cold weather.
Generally my winter shooting involves shooting in as low as -46C (last years max) and easily in the-20C range of temperatures (aurora hunting at night).
I have never once had the K10D die on me, neither has the K100D so I assume your DL will do just fine too.

Now five major things to remember.
1. batteries
Keep spare batteries warm, they will drain very fast in cold weather.
this goes for AAs in particular.

2. condensation
as with all other large temperature shifts. have a large ziplock bag ready for when you are getting back inside, but the bag in it and let it heat slowly. my K10D took roughly 8 hours to slowly defrost from a couple of hours in below -40C

3. gloves
a pair of surgeon lates glowes under a thinner pair of windtight glowes gets you a long way.
and makes the K10D handable.

4. Lunch
If you step in for say a short break, then remember to leave your gear outside.

5. dress very warm
Being outside taking photos means that you will sit still a lot, this makes it a lot colder on yourself, so dress warmer than you would for just a walk.

most importantly... have fun with it and show us the photos

Hope it was of some help.

Last edited by Duplo; 10-13-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: careless spelling
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You'll often find me hiking in temperatures of -20 and even colder when I visit friends in Alberta.
And I just use the same rules as Duplo. With 1 exception.
I just use a camera bag instead of the ziplock.
I've never had a problem

I should mention that if your going for even the shortest walk bring along a bottle of water stored close to your body for warmth.
And something like granola bars or trail mix.
At least I find that I need more food and water than I do on even the hottest days.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from Mikhail?
10-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a load guys very muc appreciated! Ive never been out shooting in the winter due to not liking winter at all but I think I will venture out this coming winter.
Im originally from South Africa, but living in Ontario, Canada at the moment [ due to change at the drop of a hat sadly ]. I don't believe it gets as cold here as it does in BC which Im grateful for!

Thanks
10-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I should say Welcome to Canada Mikhail

When your freezing your you know what off feel free to fly over here for a couple of days.

You'll quickly see why we call the area I live in Gods Country.

Ask most people who've come to this area for a visit. They don't want to leave

We often see high 30's to low 40's in the summer, and although we do see the odd winter day dip down to -40 the average winter temperatures is around -3 to -5.

For everyone in the US who thinks I'm nuts I'm talking about Celsius.

It might not sound like fun, but I would advise you to buy yourself a set of snowshoes.
It's lots of fun, good exercise, and a way to get you breathtaking photographs
Some people prefer cross country skies, and they do have some advantages. But they have as many drawbacks.

10-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I should say Welcome to Canada Mikhail

When your freezing your you know what off feel free to fly over here for a couple of days.

Ask most people who've come to this area for a visit. They don't want to leave

We often see high 30's to low 40's in the summer, and although we do see the odd winter day dip down to -40 the average winter temperatures is around -3 to -5.

For everyone in the US who thinks I'm nuts I'm talking about Celsius.

It might not sound like fun, but I would advise you to buy yourself a set of snowshoes.
It's lots of fun, good exercise, and a way to get you breathtaking photographs
Some people prefer cross country skies, and they do have some advantages. But they have as many drawbacks.
Well I would not call you nuts Stu

We averages out somewhere in around -15C during winter (-10to -15 during the day and -15 to -25 during night) and naturally some of the reall cold days where we run in the way lower...
-3 to-5 sounds almost like autumn to me

BC is an amazing area... not scheduled for this winter... but hopefully I will be back there sometime...
10-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stu, At -40 there's not much difference, and I could make a comment about "nuts" but this is a family friendly forum Actually at -41C it's -41.8F

I can't offer much more than the great advice above, but I thought I'd show you my winter camera. Doesn't have any issues with the cold at all. Batteries stay nice and warm and there's no condensation trouble either.

With acknowledgments to :Sewn by Blythe: Pentax Camera
10-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest holding off on the snowshoes, though.

There have been approx. 5 days in the last 3 years when you could have used them. Even then they would have been more a hindrance than a help.

I've been snowshoeing for over 40 years, but the winters we have been getting (thanks a lot Global Warming!) leaves little opportunity to use them in south/eastern Ontario.
10-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yea winter here wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be! I dont even think there was much snow for christmas.. 2yrs ago I had a whiter christmas in ireland! Which is shocking I know...
I shall look around for some warmer clouthing as I dont have much [ Im a hermit in the winter ] first and then see where I go from them. It doesnt snow that much over here so I think snowshoes would be a bit over kill!
Nice camera Peter! What do the pictures from it look like?

Thanks
10-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Watch it Stu - you could be stepping on a few toes there-

God's Own Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Mikhail, The pictures are a little soft and fuzzy but the body can take a lot of punishment as the chasis is well padded.
10-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
-3 to-5 sounds almost like autumn to me
There are many different temperature ranges in Canada...

He is in BC which can get warm by the coast...

You go to Winnipeg in central Canada and it's normally -25C to -35C daily in winter.

I'm in Montreal and winter here is in the -15C to -25C on a normal winter day/night with spikes down into the -30C to -35C range. Last winter was a little warmer than usual and was monsly in the -10C to -15C range.

I went camping with my scouts this weekend and it got down to -8C saturday night where we were. God I hate winter! (but I LOVE my -25 sleeping bag!)

Obviously up closer to the arctic, it's like 52 zillion below zero all the time

Pat
10-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
There are many different temperature ranges in Canada...

He is in BC which can get warm by the coast...

You go to Winnipeg in central Canada and it's normally -25C to -35C daily in winter.

I'm in Montreal and winter here is in the -15C to -25C on a normal winter day/night with spikes down into the -30C to -35C range. Last winter was a little warmer than usual and was monsly in the -10C to -15C range.

I went camping with my scouts this weekend and it got down to -8C saturday night where we were. God I hate winter! (but I LOVE my -25 sleeping bag!)

Obviously up closer to the arctic, it's like 52 zillion below zero all the time

Pat
Well Pat wounds like you are closer to what we are during winter...
We live on the greenlandic coast not too far north by Greenlandic standards... Kangerlussuaq where I go frequently easy gets into the -40C range and that is darn chilly...
On the icecap itself they seems to be in the -50 to -65C range during winter and they have a summer max of 1C... talk about chilly