Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
SR on all the time?

Do most of you folks keep the shake reduction feature on all the time, or just when shooting at slower shutter speeds? Is there a loss in IQ when using it at speeds above 1/125?

Thanks
John

02-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always shoot with SR turned on. Except for when the camera turns it off, timer etc, or when it should be turned off, tripod etc.
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost always on

I have SR on all the time unless I put the camera on a tripod. It's great for even my old Takumar lenses.
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I always shoot with SR turned on. Except for when the camera turns it off, timer etc, or when it should be turned off, tripod etc.
Me too.

02-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No, SR doesn't reduce IQ at faster shutter speeds. I use SR at all times, except:

* As noted above, for tripod, timer, remote, etc.
* Handheld macro shots, where SR is ineffective.
* Old manual zooms, where I change focal length.

About the last: People have various calculations for setting SR for old manual zooms. What to tell the SR-bot for a Vivitar 70-210/3.5? I tell it nothing. I just find adequate light and SHOOT, like Back In The Day before we had stabilization.

Think of it this way: SR is most effective for certain focal ranges at slower shutter speeds. Falk Lumo has posted graphs showing the effectiveness ranges. Outside those ranges, SR doesn't hurt. SR *does* hurt if the camera is fixed, as on a tripod, or if the lens' focal length doesn't match what you've told the SR-bot. So if I mounted that 70-210 and told the 'bot that it was some fixed focal length, SR would diminish IQ the further I got from that FL. Thus I might tell SR that the lens was 200mm, then ONLY use it in the 190-210 range. If I zoom out to 70-100-135mm, it's time to switch SR off. Or else, re-enter the new FL, which gets to be a pain. Depends on how long I intend to stay at any specific FL, eh?
02-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I wouldn't have thought this -- is there any downside in keeping it on for such shots regardless?
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Same as others. Always on unless on a tripod.

02-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #8

Ditto, always on.
02-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I wouldn't have thought this -- is there any downside in keeping it on for such shots regardless?
My guess is that he's so close...and since SR doesn't help subject movement and even slight movement in macro is magnified 10 fold...that it would do no good anyway.

But I guess my guess isn't really a downside, like you asked about.
02-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Always on, but for me, there's an additional reason:

For those of us who mostly use old manual glass, the FL isn't recorded in the EXIF data if SR is off. (And I ain't the organized type to archive my files by lens used.)

Stupid SR.
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I don't know that there is any benefit to turning it off, but when you are focusing really close, the SR is not really able to compensate for your movements, which are magnified. The only things that will compensate will be increasing your shutter speed a lot or, using a tripod.
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the reply's. SR was one of the features I like to have and use quite a bit, and now I know it's ok to use it anytime the camera is in my hands.
Thanks again...
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know that there is any benefit to turning it off, but when you are focusing really close, the SR is not really able to compensate for your movements, which are magnified. The only things that will compensate will be increasing your shutter speed a lot or, using a tripod.
Well I meant more so: would leaving it on be to the detriment of the photo in such a circumstance? Doesn't sound like it, but I asked because it's not something I think I would trust myself to remember to do (turning off the SR) when a hand held closeup opportunity presented itself.
02-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Do most of you folks keep the shake reduction feature on all the time, or just when shooting at slower shutter speeds? Is there a loss in IQ when using it at speeds above 1/125?
I leave it on, totally forget about it, just concentrate on important things and don't bother turning it off when I put the camera on a tripod like it says in the manual because that's only the completely out of touch with reality thinking of maroons who author dumb manuals.

They probably run Loonix OS on their PCs and drive black Volvos too...
...and use iPhones with all the latest kewl gadgets installed hoping it will get them laid.

.R. -- Who expects manuals in AD 2011 to be comprehensible to real humans whose direct ancestors can walk upright.
02-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, SR doesn't reduce IQ at faster shutter speeds. I use SR at all times, except:

* As noted above, for tripod, timer, remote, etc.
* Old manual zooms, where I change focal length.

About the last: People have various calculations for setting SR for old manual zooms. What to tell the SR-bot for a Vivitar 70-210/3.5? I tell it nothing. I just find adequate light and SHOOT, like Back In The Day before we had stabilization.

Think of it this way: SR is most effective for certain focal ranges at slower shutter speeds. Falk Lumo has posted graphs showing the effectiveness ranges. Outside those ranges, SR doesn't hurt. SR *does* hurt if the camera is fixed, as on a tripod, or if the lens' focal length doesn't match what you've told the SR-bot. So if I mounted that 70-210 and told the 'bot that it was some fixed focal length, SR would diminish IQ the further I got from that FL. Thus I might tell SR that the lens was 200mm, then ONLY use it in the 190-210 range. If I zoom out to 70-100-135mm, it's time to switch SR off. Or else, re-enter the new FL, which gets to be a pain. Depends on how long I intend to stay at any specific FL, eh?
Sorry to take you to task on this, RR!

In the case of a vintage zoom, when the actual FL doesn't match the FL you input to the camera, you don't diminish the IQ, you merely reduce the effectiveness of the SR.

This holds true for all cases of the actual FL being longer than the entered FL. You need to be careful the other way round though: if the entered FL is more than twice the actual FL, you will indeed diminish IQ - in fact, you'll end up magnifying any camera shake.

As you're probably aware, I did some calculations regarding the best compromise FL for a vintage zoom, but I hesitate to post the link for fear of boring everyone!