Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D at a swim meet

My first swim meet of the season with the K100D and the Tamron 28-300 non-DI lens. The meet started at 4pm and sunset is at 4:30, so lighting was to be a challenge. I played with ISO 1600 and 3200 and decided that for the lens I have, I really need to go with 3200. I stayed with a shutter priority of 1/125. You cannot use flash in the swim meets.

So, here is what you get if you don't have fast lenses. I will buy a fast lens before she graduates! (Two more years to go, so I feel confident in that statement).

And, then I played with a longer exposure (1 sec and .7 sec) with the camera resting on the railing.

So, yes the K100D can do indoor swim meets, but this is what you will get. I don't think I can do much better with my equipment. I will play with noise reduction next and see if I can clean these up and get a few nice ones.

12-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Really like the start photo #1. Tough to capture the timing. Did you use burst mode on this one and save the best or was your timing spot on? Coach could really use this shot to show the third and last swimmer that they lost some time at the gun.

I have looked and studied photo #4 and those stretched out water people baffle me. I know it was a long exposure but were they under water or above? If above, where is the splash? Were they diving and had not touched the water yet? Seems that would be the only explaination for this picture.
12-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
In #1, the 3rd swimmer (in red) is my daughter. :-( She has been getting run down lately with school and recently being sick. SHe was slow.

But, she started slow, but has a strong kick, look at how she is caught up in the next burst frame. I was using burst mode, but I timed it pretty well. The trick in swimming is to try to figure out the starter's tendancies on how long they wait to hit the buzzer. (That is why no flash is allowed, because it is a buzzer and a strobe to signify the start)

# 4 is at the start and they have not hit the water yet. I did another at 1 sec and they still had not reached it. It is sort of cool in a way.
12-10-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What a lucky daughter you have! My dad never came to my swimming competition. He loved fishing btw.

The shot where everyone entered the water is fun! The splash were instantly stopped in the air - Very unique. How does your daughter think of the shot?

Another ISO 3200 performance. I think I shall give it a go myself! (I mean photography not swimming)

James

12-10-2006, 04:35 AM   #5

Very nice pics!

I too have the K100D and have been taking pics at my daughters swim meets.

Just curious if you have tried to use any faster shutter speeds than 1/125?

1/125 is what I have been using also. The pics came out a little dark but I was able to significantly improve them in Raw processing. Since the 1/125 + RAW seemed to work well, I think I'm going to try increasing the shutter speed a tad to see if I can get a little crisper action shot. I shot in continuous mode but you only get about 3 shots if you're shooting in raw. You did a much better job than I did in my pics at timing the action.

Very nicely done!
12-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll say your daughter has a strong kick. Pretty amazing. How strong is she when she is well? Really like the capture on the most recent shot. Thanks and look forward to more.
12-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although some look a little dark (to me) I'm sure with a little levels correction they would spruce up just fine. These photos are for the record, not supposed to be masterpieces?