Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Manual aperture ring switch

Can turning the aperture ring on a lens damage the aperture motor on the pentax k7.

02-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't think so. Why are you asking?
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have a problem with my pentax k7, only 3 weeks old and motor got stuck today. I can't think why and just checking a zoom I have to see if the aperture switch has been moved accidently. I never use manual aperture Ring so I can't see why it would be. Just can't figure out what has caused it. Looks like a call to jessops in the morning.
02-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On digital, turning the aperture ring doesn't actually do anything except limit how far the stop-down lever will go, so no.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard978 Quote
I have a problem with my pentax k7, only 3 weeks old and motor got stuck today.
I don't think the aperture ring is the culprit.

"Got stuck"? Can you describe the symptom in details.

Are the symptoms similar to the ones described in this thread.
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On digital, turning the aperture ring doesn't actually do anything except limit how far the stop-down lever will go, so no.
I was wondering about this a bit. The only lenses I own are old pre-A series MF lenses, so I've never plopped a newer one on my camera.

So for instance you could stop an FA 77 down to f/2.8 with the aperture ring, but it actually stays wide open unless further directed by the camera's setting for aperture?
02-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I was wondering about this a bit. The only lenses I own are old pre-A series MF lenses, so I've never plopped a newer one on my camera.

So for instance you could stop an FA 77 down to f/2.8 with the aperture ring, but it actually stays wide open unless further directed by the camera's setting for aperture?
Exactly. If you want to stop it down for some reason before taking the photo you would use the Optical Preview.

02-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
So using the aperture ring is something you can do? I would have thought it was the same as using the focus ring in auto
mode and damage the camera.

02-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by richard978 Quote
So using the aperture ring is something you can do? I would have thought it was the same as using the focus ring in auto
mode and damage the camera.
No, Using the aperture ring will not damage the camera. Also, Some lenses allow you to use the focus ring in auto focus as well. It's referred to as 'Quick Shift' and is a feature built into many of Pentax's modern DA type lenses (but not DAL).