Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Home Made Diffuser's

Sorry if this has been done before or it's common knowledge...

I had wanted a Metz 58 AF-2 flash for my K7 and K-x for a while, and even emailed Metz to see when they would be available in the USA. Their response was what I expected, '...just keep checking the websites or go into your local store...'.

So in the interim I bought a Digital Concepts (Vivitar 383 clone) and have been very happy with it. I searched for a diffuser for it but couldn't find one that was made for it, so I decided to make one.

I just cut up an empty milk carton and taped and stapled as shown in the pictures. This was my first attempt so it was going to be crude, but it worked. When I get more time I'll try to make them more professional looking.

Surprisingly, the initial photo's were great. No underexposure worth noting. They didn't really seem to soften the shadows as much as I wanted, but maybe another material will. I think I'll try again and double the milk carton material.

Anyway, the pictures are really the same with no post except cropping and pasting together. The photo with the diffuser was much warmer and more life like. Out of curiosity do the diffusers you buy do this?

Just thought I'd share this in case someone needs a quick diffuser that isn't available for their flash. The diffuser for the on board camera flash is especially easy to make, compact and if lost no big deal.

Thanks,

Bill

Just checked the Exif data and both photo's were identical: 1/180s, f3.5, ISO 200, flash fired (external), DA 50-135.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo   

Last edited by Snydly; 02-10-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Exif Data
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

In order to soften the shadow, you have to increase the size (area) of the light source. Covering the flash bulb without increasing the size of the light source only decreases the output, not softening it.

The material used to make the diffuser may be tinted, not completely neutral. The camera is aware of the present of the flash, and set the WB to "flash."

02-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am happy with results when using this home made combi of bounce card and diffuser

02-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
SOldBear, what is the material you have that looks like white screen?

Thanks

02-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Hmmm, he looks quite a bit happier WITHOUT the diffuser.
02-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
SOldBear, what is the material you have that looks like white screen?
It's called "perforated plastic canvas." My Michael's (a chain store selling arts & crafts supply) has them for 47 cents a 10.5"X13.5" sheet - read this post.
02-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Vivitar made a metal frame that clipped onto the 283 or 285 and held a white reflector card at ~45 degrees [about 8"x 11" if I remember correctly]. The result is quite soft at close distance. I imagine someone good at working sheetmetal could rig one up quickly.
02-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Hmmm, he looks quite a bit happier WITHOUT the diffuser.
Yeah, I do a lot of candid shots with my kids. Every time I get a new lens, flash, filter or idea I torture them to see how they work. They are pretty good about it though.