Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k7 is slowing down

Hi everyone,
Ive found that my K-7 has started taking a long time for a picture to come up on the LCD after taking a shot. I have had the instant review feature turned off and if i want to check a photo it usually takes 1 or 2 seconds for the photo to show, but now its taking over 5. The only thing i can think of that would have done this is me shooting a bit of video during a hot day. The videos were usually fairly short but the overheating symbol came up often. I thought that if this was the case though it would of stop seeing as the weathers cooled down again.
Does anyone know if the heat did some permanent damage to my camera??

02-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if you have any in-camera post-processing, such as lens distortion correction, hihg-ISO correction, ... With in-camera PP, it may take 1-2 s for the camera to process the shot and write it to the card.

This is an issue with the K-x, K-7 and most Pentax dSLRs.

I suggest that you double check you setting and switch off all in-camera PP. (ALL, all of them. Yes!)

As for heating during video shooting, I use a fast card (Extreme III 30 Mb/s) and I never had any problem with short video (typicaly less than 30 s). I cannot comment on longer video although there were reports of overheating.

If you feel that you camera overheat, send it back to CR Kennedy (Pentax distributor in Australia).

Hipe that the comments will help.
02-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i can also came from the memory card. from time to time you have to format it, to keep it in good shape.
02-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
hmmm, just checked the settings and found out distortion correction was on and turned it off but its still much slower than i remember. One thing i have noticed is that after a photo is taken, the orange light that flickers takes about 2 seconds to do so, and i remember it being almost instant before. Dunno if thats normal or not.

May send CR kennedy an email to see what they think

02-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
hmmm, just checked the settings and found out distortion correction was on and turned it off but its still much slower than i remember. One thing i have noticed is that after a photo is taken, the orange light that flickers takes about 2 seconds to do so, and i remember it being almost instant before. Dunno if thats normal or not.

May send CR kennedy an email to see what they think
maybe memorycard?
02-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

A few more comments:

What firmware do you use? In doubt, install the latest firmware after refiormatting the card. There was a Pentax firmware update for the K-7 that improved the video.

(Yes, reformat the card before updating as per Pentax instructions.)

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
...found out distortion correction was on and turned it off but its still much slower than i remember. One thing i have noticed is that after a photo is taken, the orange light that flickers takes about 2 seconds to do so.
The orange flickers is the card write up. It should not take 2 s to write a file. This suggest a card problem. Check your card, re-format it and possibly get a newer, faster card.

02-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
maybe memorycard?
I had the same thought. I have a 16GB SanDisk Ultra, which is class-4, and a 16GB Apacer, which is also class-4. Nevertheless the Apacer is far slower that the SanDisk.
02-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
was the memory card in the end =p I thought must of been the camera cause i tried 2 different cards, but 1 was close to full and the other was just. Still feels a tad slow but im sure thats just me being paranoid.
Cheers everyone

02-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Enjoy .
02-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Glad to hear it was just a card. That's about as simple a fix as possible.