Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I read the reviews of the k100d super and I entered all the info from that chart into my little spreadsheet that is helping me compare products. What is the improvement from the k100d to the k100d super?

02-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D super has SDM support if I'm not mistaken, K100D does not.
02-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #18

Original Poster
is SDM the same as SDHC memory chips?
02-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

A camera with SDM support allows the use of the motor in lenses that have a built in motor instead of using the motor that is build in the camera (referred to as screw drive).

Some lenses don't have a screw drive connection (Pentax DA17-70 comes to mind and I think the new Pentax DA18-135WR) and will be a manual focus lens on a K100D.

02-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #20

Original Poster
Wow my wife is saying weather resistance is worth the money and we can make up the $ difference by not driving and biking in the snow for a month. She thinks since the point and shoot died from sand and dampness that the K200d is the way to go. I don't know what aliens took over my wife's body but i love those aliens.
My question is: does that weather proofing do anything for sad and dust? I assume it is gaskets in the buttons, right?
I bumped that willing to spend value to to 300, 400 in a month or 2.

Last edited by cadmus; 02-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.
02-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
Wow my wife is saying weather resistance is worth the money and we can make up the $ difference by not driving and biking in the snow for a month. She thinks since the point and shoot died from sand and dampness that the K200d is the way to go. I don't know what aliens took over my wife's body but i love those aliens.
My question is: does that weather proofing do anything for sad and dust? I assume it is gaskets in the buttons, right?
It does. The lens becomes the issue in my experience. For my money, I would go for a K200d and 18-55wr. I have had the *IST DS and K200d and currently use a K-7. The sensor is very close to that found in the K10d.
ISO 800 upwards is not great for Jpgs, which is what I'm guessing you will shoot in the field. However ISO 100-200 is really very good indeed, and up to 800 very acceptable.

I shoot out of doors a lot, and dropped my K200d onto concrete whilst changing lenses (not recommended), without any ill effects other than an impact scratch on the body. My current outdoor rig for rain/snow is the K-7 with the 18-135mm.

You know, I was thinking about your situation. The other way to go is to get something like a G series c*anon and get a DICAPAC housing for it, if you really think you are going to dunk it. However, fo star trails etc, you will be better off with a DSLR.

Oh, and I would also buy an ultrapod, it is big enough to support K200d, 18-55 when using a cable release.
Since in a previous life I was a ecology student and enjoy knowing the gear I have gets used, if you PM me, can send a cable release to you that I know works with a K200d ( I have a second one)...

Cheers

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-13-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: offer a remote, suggest tripod.
02-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I read the reviews of the k100d super and I entered all the info from that chart into my little spreadsheet that is helping me compare products. What is the improvement from the k100d to the k100d super?
Not much. As mentioned, there is support for USM style lenses, and being the last generation of 6mp, the K100d Super has great JPG images out of the camera.

02-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi, I have a k200d kindly given to me by a friend, its a great camera it is my first dslr so its a bit of a learning curve but would reccomend it. As you already know they are backward compatible and i'm having a great time hunting down lenses in second hand shops for very little money and building up quite a collection. At the moment I have a 50mm smc a lens on it and love it! Good luck
02-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #24

Original Poster
OK. OK. you all use good logic. I am going to save for the k200d. I can swing 300 now and maybe 400 in a month or 2. I changed the "how much are you willing to spend" price on the other page to reflect that. if you hear of any deals let me know.

I can just use my current manual lens for a year or so.

But if i can get a 100d/100ds for 200 i might do it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I will be answering some of the questions i had in a few days. I read most of the manual last night and i think i figured out the remote/manual fears.

Last edited by cadmus; 02-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.
02-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Maybe I missed it but for 300-400 you could easily get into a k10d and probably an 2 lens kit. Is there a reason that you are limiting yourself to the 100/200 series cameras?
Heck, I will be selling my k10 in a month or 2 for under 300 when I get my k5. I have seen quite a few k10s and 20s in the marketplace recently.
02-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #26

Original Poster
the 10d & 20d doesn't take AA batteries.
The primary reason i am buying pentax, they are the only one with the sense to offer models that run on AA.

I travel a lot for work and whether for work or fun i am nowhere near electricity. Always camping, sometimes on boats (no 'spare' electricity) for weeks at a time. Also, when taking shots for school in the lab I will sometimes have a day of taking photo after photo of little bugs in cups, even if i have a wall socket i might risk not being able to charge as fast as I use it. I have to be able to buy AAs when recharging is not possible or fast enough.

Willing to go to 300-400 for the 200d (only after i eat oatmeal for most meals and bike to work for 2 months and no longer leave the microwave door open per my lovely wife) because of the weather proofing and features mentioned above. But if a good deal on the 100d and 100ds models pops up (200-220 with lens or 150 w/o) I will jump at it.

Last edited by cadmus; 02-13-2011 at 02:43 PM.
02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't know where you are in colorado, but if you're near a metro area I would encourage you to watch craigslist for a while and see what kind of things pop up. Too bad you're not down here in dallas, there's a 2 lens k200d kit with grip that's been hanging out on CL forever waiting for a buyer...
02-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

the 10d & 20d doesn't take AA batteries.
The primary reason i am buying pentax, they are the only one with the sense to offer models that run on AA.

I travel a lot for work and whether for work or fun i am nowhere near electricity. Always camping, sometimes on boats (no 'spare' electricity) for weeks at a time. Also, when taking shots for school in the lab I will sometimes have a day of taking photo after photo of little bugs in cups, even if i have a wall socket i might risk not being able to charge as fast as I use it. I have to be able to buy AAs when recharging is not possible or fast enough.

Willing to go to 300-400 for the 200d (only after i eat oatmeal for most meals and bike to work for 2 months and no longer leave the microwave door open per my lovely wife) because of the weather proofing and features mentioned above. But if a good deal on the 100d and 100ds models pops up (200-220 with lens or 150 w/o) I will jump at it.
Sorry Cadmus,

You did state that earlier in the thread....my bad for not reading before writing.

Best of luck with whatever you end up with.....Looking forward to seeing your traveling images
02-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #29

Original Poster
No worries. I only wrote it all out again so you wouldn't have to read my NOVEL of a first post. Thanks everyone for being so patient with my wordiness.

And thanks for the Dallas craigslist heads up. I surf the local one alot. It is always a gamble to do it by mail isn't it?
02-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Yeah that is what i was asking. Thanks. rather than incerting all those links i should have just said IR remotes. I was hoping that one could set it up, push the IR remote to open the shutter, then come back in an hour and push the IR remote again to stop the exposure. But I can not find evidence of that online in the Manuals/reviews I read. I have a cable that screws into the shutter button of my K-1000. But the shutter button is not threaded for that on these new digitals right? Also "the extra button push" that Ole, Ash and others were describing also worried me, would i have to hold that down with a rubberband or something? But it sounds like you only need to push it when metering the light. (correct?)
You are right that your srew-in cable release will not work on a Pentax DSLR - but you can get an electric cable release for as low as $10 and there are then all kinds of variations up to the very sophisticated types where you can do wireless remote release, interval shooting, bulb-exposure with or without pre-determined exposure times up to several hours, (for example from Hähnel). In-between you will find what serves your needs (in the$20-40 range) such as this one (just to give you an example what to look for):

Plato Wireless Remote C8 for Canon 30D 40D 50D 5D II 7D - eBay (item 260733838265 end time Feb-14-11 00:27:37 PST)

(Note: The canon models mentioned and the Pentax models in question share the same techniques - see details in the ad.)

Steen G. B.