Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #1

White balance problems with kx

I am new to dslrs. I have new KX and have white balance set to Auto. When taking pics indoors with kit lens, using P mode, I get very different colors/exposures when I focus camera on a different subject in the same room with the same light. I then try to change the white balance settings, but I still cannot get the wb to compensate. I have tried AE lock, that doesn't seem to help. Also get awful yellow tinges without using flash indoors, and I really have to fiddle with the settings to make any pics look good. I need help figuring out how to use the WB properly. It shoudn't be so hard; my point and shoot does a much better job with the WB than the KX. And I only bought the KX as I wanted nice pics indoors. I don't know if it's me or the camera, it is very frustrating!!

02-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Not sure what the problem could be, all modes on my K-X deliver the same WB results as each other when set to auto WB. I did notice that low light focus seems to be a little hit and miss and slugish when in P mode, but fast and accurate in auto pict mode like it should be. Have you tried setting the manual WB in those lighting conditions and running off a few test shots? Its pretty simple to do and the manual is easy to follow for this.
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to be mean but it's probably you. Try setting the WB to Tungsten for indoor lighting. That is if that is the type of light bulbs in the room. See page 182 in your manual. If you are using some other light source or mixed lighting, that will also mess with it. Exposure has nothing to do with WB.

You might also post a picture so we can see what's up and help you further.

02-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #4

K-x has very accurate white balance in Auto. You should change the setting in the menus to fully correct the white balance, because the camera by default thinks that you want some of the color cast that is present in the different shooting environments.

02-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
LOL!! You are not being mean!! Have to laugh at that cuz it probably IS me! I am a noobie, so I will certainly try all you have suggested!! I appreciate it....and I will get back to you all later today after I have experimented some more. THanks for all the suggestions!
s
02-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Heralu,
It's not just you as the Kx has some of the fault. The Kx Auto WB performs better than my K100d but is not perfect. I do find that switching to Tungsten indoors as Jeff advised helps quite a bit. Same applies in other environments. Outdoors and cloudy, sunshine etc. Try setting it for the environment and it becomes less "You". I seldom rely on Auto anymore.
Next step is to shoot RAW. Very easy to adjust WB settings in the Pentax software if you made a wrong selection or Auto didn't do the job you wanted.
02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

firmware

check your firmware version.
02-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
K-x has very accurate white balance in Auto. You should change the setting in the menus to fully correct the white balance, because the camera by default thinks that you want some of the color cast that is present in the different shooting environments.
Can you explain exactly which setting you mean?

02-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Could you expand on that. Thx
02-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Heralu,

Let me try and structure your question:
QuoteOriginally posted by heralu Quote
1) When taking pics indoors with kit lens, using P mode, I get very different colors/exposures when I focus camera on a different subject in the same room with the same light.
2) I then try to change the white balance settings, but I still cannot get the wb to compensate.
3) I have tried AE lock, that doesn't seem to help.
4) Also get awful yellow tinges without using flash indoors, and I really have to fiddle with the settings to make any pics look good.
5) my point and shoot does a much better job with the WB than the KX.

Ad 1) The camera will "calculate" the average color of the picture and tries to decide how to compensate for the color in the light.
Ad 2) You should set the WB settings to either incandescent light or flash when appropriate. If you use any fixed setting in the wrong situation, you can be in for a surprise. Colors can be all shifted....
Ad 3) AE lock is locking your exposure, not the white balance settings. AE lock will have no influence on this matter
Ad 4) I suspect your WB setting was not on flash when using the flash, but on artificial light, perhaps fluorescent light?
Ad 5) Maybe, maybe not. You K-x is a more complex camera and more easy to get things wrong.

There is something your K-x can do that you are probably not aware of.
You can take pictures in RAW format (PEF or DNG)!

Pictures in RAW format are images that come straight of the sensor, without post processing done by the camera.
So, you can post process the picture later on your computer using the Pentax or other photo processing software.

Why would you not want the camera to do post processing right away?
Because you are not liking the results.
A camera has several measurement systems, and they can (and will be) wrong now and then.

RAW pictures will give you the capability to manually (or use the Auto function in the software) change the colour settings of your photos as you like interactively anyway you like it.
Additional, you can compensate in post processing many other "problems", like dark shadows, clipping high lights etc.
Many times a spoiled RAW picture can be "saved" by spending some effort on it in post processing.
RAW pictures will take more storage on your memory card and you will need to convert them to JPG before sending them to others for viewing or before posting them on the Internet.
Besides that "shooting RAW" has many advantages.

Install the software that came with the camera and try it.

Of course, this is yet another step to learn.... however, there are many people on this forum that can help you with it.

- Bert
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, Bert........just installed the pentax software, and am going to give it a try, shooting raw......I am still experimenting, and obviously have a LOT to learn! I appreciate all of the help, and will give your suggestions a try! Thanks again!
02-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter

AWB typically has a color temperature range of 4000K to 8000K. Tungsten lighting has a color temperature of around 2850K. This means that, no matter how accurate AWB is within its operating range, it will not and cannot produce good results when the color temp is outside its range. To get acceptable white balance when shooting under tungsten lighting, simply set your white balance to tungsten.