Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #16

I have all 3 bodies; K10D, K20D, and K-5. After buying a K-5, I still use my K10 and K20 often, if not more often than the K-5 itself. I do not see considerable difference in image taken among the 3 camera bodies when used for print, web, or computer viewing purposes.

Granted K-5 has great high ISO performance when taking snapshots at night, which is what I mostly use it for, K10D and K20D images are still quite on par, if not better, under daylight conditions.

The ability to tether, which I believe only available for K10D/K20D, is enough reason for me to own one. Pentax remote assistance software does not support newer camera models like K-7 and on.

They are all fantastic cameras as far as I can tell.

02-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use a K-5 side-by-side with a k10, you'll notice that its overall menu performance seems a bit more sluggish. Also, since the control layout is a bit different, it's not easy to switch between the two. You'll also notice a more responsive shutter in the K5. The K5 obviously has higher ISO capabilities, and its more modern sensor delivers superior IQ- but if you're just taking snaps, it hardly matters which cam you use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
I have all 3 bodies; K10D, K20D, and K-5. After buying a K-5, I still use my K10 and K20 often, if not more often than the K-5 itself. I do not see considerable difference in image taken among the 3 camera bodies when used for print, web, or computer viewing purposes.

Granted K-5 has great high ISO performance when taking snapshots at night, which is what I mostly use it for, K10D and K20D images are still quite on par, if not better, under daylight conditions.

The ability to tether, which I believe only available for K10D/K20D, is enough reason for me to own one. Pentax remote assistance software does not support newer camera models like K-7 and on.

They are all fantastic cameras as far as I can tell.
Don't let THAT stop you! Now with PKTether it works with the K7 and K5. Download .NET 4 and make sure you have an SD card in the camera and it should work well.

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pk_tether
02-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

IMHO one shouldn't buy a first SLR used if he/she don't completely know and trust the seller... When you don't know what to test or who to blame when the pictures don't turn out, you won't know whether you have a faulty camera or just inexperience. With new cameras you get some sort of warranty and there's a refund window.

my 2c

My experience with the K10D have been great, and I'm in agreement with what most people say here.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-14-2011 at 10:55 AM.
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
K10 is Great!

I've got a K10 that I use and I love it! I'ts like holding a "real" camera not some smallish, lightweight "tinkertoy".
Some complain about the size and weight, but I really prefer something with a "little more substance" in my hands.
02-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I've got a K10 that I use and I love it! I'ts like holding a "real" camera not some smallish, lightweight "tinkertoy".
Some complain about the size and weight, but I really prefer something with a "little more substance" in my hands.
Depends on the size of your hands and how it feels in them.
02-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

02-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you use a K-5 side-by-side with a k10, you'll notice that its overall menu performance seems a bit more sluggish. Also, since the control layout is a bit different, it's not easy to switch between the two. You'll also notice a more responsive shutter in the K5. The K5 obviously has higher ISO capabilities, and its more modern sensor delivers superior IQ- but if you're just taking snaps, it hardly matters which cam you use.
I agree. It's a $1500 upgrade, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was well worth it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
Don't let THAT stop you! Now with PKTether it works with the K7 and K5. Download .NET 4 and make sure you have an SD card in the camera and it should work well. https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.or...s/en/pk_tether
Thank you! Great info. It's still in beta mode, I will keep it on my watchlist.
12-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #24

Personally i am still happy with my K10D. It may not be top notch anymore and there are newer ones availeable but here are a few of my generally asked questions

1) can you swear you have used 100% of what the K10D can do?

2) Are you shure that it ain't YOU that is the limiting factor ?

3) Newer ain't always better and More pixels is just more not necessairily better or sharper

4) isn't it so that the WANT for a newer model is higher than the NEED?

5) most limitations are work around for's and not every camera is good in everything (that is one reason that i have so much gear)

Here a my answers to my questions i am eager to hear your truthfully confession:

1) By no means have i used 100% of what a K10D is capeable off

2) YES , i am a limiting factor i have been so most of my life , but i am pretty newe to the K10D and Pentax camera's. Heck i read the manual only once . Shure that i can learn a lot of the K10D

3) So true.. especially if staying within a same system size sensor , more mp are more but here is why i believe that it ai't always better:
- a file of the K10D in dng (raw) is about 11 mb and a larger resolution is a larger file , so your pc/ laptop has to grow too and your screen has to grow otherwhise you cant see it 100% Larger means larger not better , pixel density is bound to be higher so a greater change to interference between the pixels and less sensative to light meaning more sensative to noise and noise reduction systems or algorithmems are have to be better but i believe it is all a matter how much we believe the industry

4) Wants are nice for cold hands but if the true based need isn't there i advise to use better glass first than a newer body
12-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxianBear Quote
Hey there everybody,

I'm very new to DSLR's and was just wondering is the k-10 still one of the best or has it been made obsolete by the k-7 ect. I see alot of K-10's on ebay for under Two bills. Just wondering and thanks to all who lend there info.

Austen
I have been going through my files recently, and I do think there is a quality to the k10d files that is very nice, a kind of smooth natural look. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. (thanks randy) I wish I'd have kept it now.
12-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I liked my K10d - I only have a K-7 because my K10d didn't survive it's final drop, from the sofa to a solid floor. It's not that it isn't robust, it just fell awkwardly; everything worked perfectly except it wouldn't recognise any memory cards - turns out that the card reader bit had come away from the motherboard and it was an uneconomical repair.

It's a good camera. Better than the K-7 for long exposures, and a nicer quality at ISO 100. My wife has mentioned that she would like her own camera so she doesn't have to borrow mine. A friend is selling an EOS of some description cheaply, but I'm trying to push her toward a K10d or a K200 (basically the same camera with a few less buttons)

I don't think there was any occasion in the time I owned the K10d where I didn't get a shot and it was the fault of the camera.
12-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
K10D is fantastic camera. I think you should post some pics, you owning three generation of sensors, would love to see how they compare all.
12-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It certainly isn't obsolete. For someone just starting out with a very low budget, a used K10D would be a great place to start. I'm keeping mine as a backup and also since I have a Katz Eye screen in it, it's my manual lens camera.
12-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

It depends upon what you want out of your DSLR. At its base ASA...and for most uses...the K10D is still a very, very good camera. You won't find a more solidly built camera for anywhere near the price.
12-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #30

My 2 cents: I loved my K20D for the short time I had it. I bought it as my first DSLR, and instantly fell in love with the solid feel and full functionality. However, I have very small hands, and after using it regularly for a month, the awkwardness of holding it never lessened for me. The ONLY reason I sold it and upgraded to a K7 was ergonomics. The K7 has a smaller body and fit my hands much more comfortably. On the other hand, my semi-pro photog friend still uses his K20 and loves it to pieces. He finds my K7 too small for a comfortable fit in his large hands. His pictures are head and shoulders better than mine, not due to the equipment, but due to his much higher skill. I also have another friend, a woman with medium sized hands, who has a K10 and loves it.

I think the K10, K20, and up are all great cameras. If I had a friend looking to get their first DSLR, I would recommend going that route. I just picked up a used K200D here on the marketplace as a backup body for the husband to take hiking, and I am just as excited to play with it as I was when waiting for my K7.

Charity