Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #31

I went from using a PZ-1 since the early '90's to a K10D, and just fell in love with it. Now my 2 PZ's sit a lot. But I like the K10D so much, I bought another for a backup, [ not that I really need a backup.] Both my K10's sport the lower grip, so I can use either one and never feel like I need a refresher course for changing cameras, and I don't doubt that there are features in the newer models that are nice to have. But I am completely happy, if I need to make a video, I'll use the cam-corder.
I hope you get the idea, I LOVE my K10D's.

12-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Like others, I have a DS, K10D and a K7D, and I use them all. I still like the DS with the 21ltd for something small and light. (a 40ltd would be an interesting on it). Sometimes I'll have a carry the 10D with a long zoom, and the 7D with a short zoom, makes for quick changes. It can be a bit of a mind bender jumping between 3 UI's though.
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K10D is as good as it ever was...
12-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The K10D is as good as it ever was...
And it will still be just as good next year, and the year after...

12-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #35

Yes the K10D is a great camera, purchased one from KEH in "like new" condition about one and half yrs ago, actually my first dslr. As far as low light conditions, it's great considering I had been using film the previously.

Last edited by ddula; 12-06-2011 at 08:43 PM.
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #36
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ddula Quote
As far as low light conditions, it's great considering I had been using film the previously.
Exactly, people are spoiled by digital these days.

The K10D actually is ranked higher in dxomark scores than the next two models released by Pentax: K20D and K-7. It's a great camera for people that know how to use one.
12-07-2011, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

If it's been looked after properly then I don't see any reason why (second hand) it shouldn't be fine.

I handed down my K10D (to my kids) after 5 years of hard abuse and it's still going strong.

Teamed up with the cheap kit 18-55 and 55-300 - you can produce magazine quality images for a bargain.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These two images taken with the K10D & 18-55 have been used in calenders, magazines and overseas publications

Another with the 18-55

[IMG][/IMG]

55-300 @ ISO 640

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by dylansalt; 12-07-2011 at 03:25 AM.
12-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxianBear Quote
Hey there everybody,

I'm very new to DSLR's and was just wondering is the k-10 still one of the best or has it been made obsolete by the k-7 ect. I see alot of K-10's on ebay for under Two bills. Just wondering and thanks to all who lend there info.

Austen
Generally, it still is. Depending on your needs, it may not...
If I were asked, I'll still get one if I could find one being sold locally in my place~
12-09-2011, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has been a very satisfying thread to read. Thanks for all the replies.

I waited for a long time for Pentax to produce a camera with specifications that met my requirements. The K10D was that camera and I have had mine for over 4 years. It produces images that I am very happy with and it has never let me down. Like others who have posted here, I am a retired person which limits my ability to just go and purchase a new camera when the feeling arises. Happily, while ever my K10D is working as it is now I really do not need anything better.

A friend was telling me about some of the features on his new C*non 7D and I said that I have had those features on my camera for 4 years. That wiped the smile from his face!

The K10D might have been superseded but it is not obsolete.
12-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #40

good to know

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
This has been a very satisfying thread to read. Thanks for all the replies.

I waited for a long time for Pentax to produce a camera with specifications that met my requirements. The K10D was that camera and I have had mine for over 4 years. It produces images that I am very happy with and it has never let me down. Like others who have posted here, I am a retired person which limits my ability to just go and purchase a new camera when the feeling arises. Happily, while ever my K10D is working as it is now I really do not need anything better.

A friend was telling me about some of the features on his new C*non 7D and I said that I have had those features on my camera for 4 years. That wiped the smile from his face!

The K10D might have been superseded but it is not obsolete.
Yeah i agree completly. mine is practically new <1730 clicks so i have a long way to go
it is bought bvecause i am a moderator at a other photo forum for the pentax section

every once in a while i'll use it to shoot , no riterement here yet still going strong at 47 and driving 1110km a week for home-work and vice versa
the weekends i mostly rest ..

perhaps this winter new photo's from me and my pentax
12-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #41

Me, too!

Although I would like a body with better very-low-light sensitivity I love the feel of my K10d. I recently went to a local shopping centre just to find out what the later bodies feel like. The K-R doesn't have the chunky "this is a real machine" feel of the K10. It's not alone, of course, all its competitors feel worse! To my hands, the best balanced cameras, just for interest, were the Panasonic FZ150 and the Fuji HS20. I could happily use either but for the small sensors. For the forseeable future, then and failing a lottery win, I'm sticking with my 18kclick K10d.
12-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
The K-R doesn't have the chunky "this is a real machine" feel of the K10.
That's because the K-r is an entry level model while the K10D was a high end one. You need to compare with a K-5.
12-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #43
Banned

The K10D is a sweet camera:

12-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #44
Inactive Account

i still run a k10, af is crap-hard wrk to get results, iso performance is brill at 100, anything above 400 is pretty much un-usable, its handling is, like the later models, without equall (ie nik can sony etc suk)
dynamic range is by compare, lacking but shoot dng and its all good, all weather capability = perfect, every wedding i've done has come with torrents of water and she never fails - the flash is the first to go-water in the contacts.
12-13-2011, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
iso performance is brill at 100, anything above 400 is pretty much un-usable
You mean, unusable like this?

All are at ISO 800:

The K10D is actually usable up to and including 1600. Yes, it is noisier at 1600, but if you actually make a print, you won't notice noise at all.

My advice: don't worry about noise - worry about exposure, focus, and composition and if you got those right, you'll find that noise won't be a problem.