Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shake Reduction on or off?

I've been experimenting taking shots of my dog running towards me. (just a project for future action shots!) I've played with faster Shutter Speeds (Tv) higher ISO 200-400, Continuous focus, spot metering and spot focusing and can't seem to get a sharp image. I'm using a Pentax 55-300 DA and zooming as he gets closer.
I'm wondering if the Shake reduction is slowing things up to the point that the loss of sharpness is because of it and not my movement of the camera.
I'd like to think I'm holding the K7 steady enough (I realize I am not a tripod) and that the higher shutter speed would "freeze" the image.

I'm still learning how best to use this amazing camera.. There are so many ways to tackle each shot....
I'd post an example, but I have deleted most of the ones I hated and then thought of asking you....

02-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the 55-300 is the slowest (and noisiest) focussing lens I own.

You don't advise what shutter speeds you're using, I'd imagine you'd need at least 1/1500 for a running dog.

Other than the start-up period, I would not imagine the SR slows the photo-taking down.
02-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Scott,

it's likely that the SR is not activating at all if you are focusing and shooting quickly. If you watch the bottom of your viewfinder, you'll see that it takes about half a second after focus lock is achieved for the SR ready icon to light up. (looks like a hand with a couple of lines on the side) If you post a couple images, it might help us to see whether the problem is camera shake, too slow a shutter speed or simply inaccurate focus. You might also want to try bumping the ISO higher yet...
02-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I think the 55-300 is the slowest (and noisiest) focussing lens I own.

You don't advise what shutter speeds you're using, I'd imagine you'd need at least 1/1500 for a running dog.

Other than the start-up period, I would not imagine the SR slows the photo-taking down.
I only went to 1/500 because of the bad light. Cloudy with snow. It's only a 5.6. Do you mean camera "noise" or sound "noise"? Thanks for the input. I keep forgetting my DSLR has such high Shutter choices. Think my ME Super had fewer!

02-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acrollet Quote
Hi Scott,

it's likely that the SR is not activating at all if you are focusing and shooting quickly. If you watch the bottom of your viewfinder, you'll see that it takes about half a second after focus lock is achieved for the SR ready icon to light up. (looks like a hand with a couple of lines on the side) If you post a couple images, it might help us to see whether the problem is camera shake, too slow a shutter speed or simply inaccurate focus. You might also want to try bumping the ISO higher yet...
Thanks Acrollet. I didn't know it takes time for it to kick in! This Forum is fantastic! I learn something every time I ask a question!
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sound noise.

Sounds like you have to up the ISO and/or up the lighting for higher shutter speed, which would also help focus speed of the lens.
02-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you are following the dog using panning motions, switching the SR off might yield better results. The manual recommends switching it off for panning shots where the shutter speed is slow.

I'm not aware of any tests of what the influence of SR is on high shutter speed panning shots is. If you are lucky, it will just compensate the direction in which you are not panning in, but I'm not sure how much you can rely on it.

02-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

The first two photos were the first "action" shoots (handheld) I took with my new Kx last summer. Used a DAL 55-300, SR on and shot in sports mode. I kinda "missed" the third photo taken in the Fall with the same lens and SR on. Not bad (imho) for not knowing what the hell I was doing!
I just tried to shoot some pics last weekend of the dogs running in the back yard with SR off and in TV mode....I trashed all the pics cause they came out blurry...and it was too cold for me to experiment for very long....brrrr.....still trying to learn by trial and error.
Attached Images