Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem: K-7 slow to display review images

I have a used but now-to-me K-7 that's bugging me with one small problem. It takes 4-5 seconds after exposure for the review image to come up on the rear LCD. Other modern DSLRs I've owned take a second or less. The K-7's tardiness is consistent whether it's in RAW or JPG, 14 mpx or 2 mpx, with lens corrections/DR turned on and off. A faster SD card makes no difference, either.

Five seconds may not sound so long -- hey, it's quicker than a Polaroid! -- but multiplied over several hundred exposures per day, it could get exasperating.

Has anyone else observed this issue? I'm new to Pentax, and I don't want to ditch the brand over some small misadjustment, but this has to change.

02-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #2

that's weird...only happened to me when I had lens correction turned on. try resetting it to factory settings to see if it still does it.
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Highlight and/or shadow correction are other features that can slow down image review.
Ensure this feature is also turned off - in fact, turn off dynamic range, lens correction and highlight correction features, go back to RAW and see how that goes.
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also the copyright info, make sure that's off too.

02-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, It's working now

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Highlight and/or shadow correction are other features that can slow down image review.
Ensure this feature is also turned off - in fact, turn off dynamic range, lens correction and highlight correction features, go back to RAW and see how that goes.

I thought I'd tried this before, but Pentax's many little icons have me confused me again. When I turned off all these features, reviews became rapid, within a second or less.

I tested each one separately. The highlight and shadow DR features didn't change the review delay much. The two lens corrections were to blame. Enabling either one pushed the delay to four seconds or more.

This is a valuable discovery. I want to use the K-7 for virtual tours, which involve hundreds of images that I review as I go, making necessary adjustments. There's no time to wait. I find it essential to use the DR features in the work, but the lens adjustments are automatically taken care of in post- processing, so I can leave them off.
02-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

This has happened to me, it might be a dying or old SD card.
02-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
I thought I'd tried this before, but Pentax's many little icons have me confused me again. When I turned off all these features, reviews became rapid, within a second or less.

I tested each one separately. The highlight and shadow DR features didn't change the review delay much. The two lens corrections were to blame. Enabling either one pushed the delay to four seconds or more.

This is a valuable discovery. I want to use the K-7 for virtual tours, which involve hundreds of images that I review as I go, making necessary adjustments. There's no time to wait. I find it essential to use the DR features in the work, but the lens adjustments are automatically taken care of in post- processing, so I can leave them off.
Great, glad you figured it out. Have fun (I was under the impression that the correction doesn't happen on raw files but I guess I am wrong).