Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-7 AF Adjustments

I've recently purchased a second autofocus lens, and have discovered the back focus problems I experienced with my first AF lens happen with the new one as well. This leads me to think something is off with my K-7, and it is severe enough that the AF microadjustments that can be done in the camera settings do not adequately compensate for it.

Is there any way to go beyond the +/- 10 adjustments? I'd prefer not to have to send my camera in to resolve this issue, as it is now out of warranty (even though the problem must have been there from day 1), and would prefer not to lose the use of my camera for several weeks.

Thanks all.

02-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you use your Takumars or other Manual focus lenses, and you get the in focus beep and confirmation, are the images in focus? Which AF lenses are you referring to?

02-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I leave the focus beep off, but the flashing confirmation is usually close but not quite right. I habitually ignore it because it's not terribly accurate and use my own judgment by way of the split focus screen instead.

The two AF lenses I own now are the DA 35/2.8 and 15/4. I did some rigorous testing on a tripod with mirror lock up and remote cable shutter release using this back/front-focus test: http://focustestchart.com/focus10.pdf . Both lenses showed severe back focus that was almost fixed by a +10 AF adjustment, but not quite. This all leads me to believe the camera is the problem.