Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveC Quote
How much of an iso upgrade are the K10, K20 and K7 from the K100?
If I may....

The main upgrade to me would be the actual body construction -
the K10D, K20D and K-7 are of substantially better build than the K100D (which was considered entry-level).

Don't get me wrong the K100D is very well built for the price - I still own one.

However the ones in your list are weather resistant, all are penta-Prism (vs the darker penta-mirror) and have better features than the K100D.

Of course the K10D is 10Mp, K20D and K-7 - 14Mp.

They all have very good low ISO performance maybe up to ISO800.

However the real differentiators of modern dSLRs is the HighISO performance -
but if one does not plan to shoot much beyond ISO800 then it's kind of moot.

Then any of the list is an upgrade - with possibly the K-7 the most desirable -
but the available pricing probably reflects that.

Earlier in this thread in Post #8 - the current ranking of Pentax as measured by DxOMark - K-5, K-x, K-r, K-10D, K20D, K-7

But when I compared standardized test images from Imaging-Resource.com on the ISO100 samples in Post #19 -
my visual ranking order -
K-7, K-x, K-r, K-5 then K20D
(K10D did not have the same sample shot to compare)
- so this goes to show that there is a lot more to IQ than the numbers from DxOMark.