Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seamuis, remember computers with far less power than your cell phone or your k5/7 once filled entire buildings, don't take the bet. it will happen. and i think the k5 k7 could be smaller, i don't really want it smaller but i think it could be. the big issue with the Spottie idea is depth, largely due to the real estate putting in a screen takes. OLED and other techs though are making screens way thinner so no reason it couldn't happen. It won't but it could

02-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Seamuis, remember computers with far less power than your cell phone or your k5/7 once filled entire buildings, don't take the bet. it will happen. and i think the k5 k7 could be smaller, i don't really want it smaller but i think it could be. the big issue with the Spottie idea is depth, largely due to the real estate putting in a screen takes. OLED and other techs though are making screens way thinner so no reason it couldn't happen. It won't but it could
im not arguing that it couldn’t ever happen, im saying that as of right now I don’t see how thats possible without cutting certain things. certain things that a majority of camera consumers in the market segment aren’t willing to forgoe at the likely pricepoint. such as the LCD, the handgrip, the larger more powerful batteries, etc. it can be built yes, as a niche product like the leica m9 an even to an extent the fuji x100. but anything beyond that, I don’t think it can currently be feasibly done. a lot of people would want it, but regarding a mass manufactured camera, no. its naive to think the camera companies aren’t aware of the trend thats pushing toward smaller, simpler, more ‘retro’ designs and engineering. and so one can assume that Pentax is aware of the desire for such a camera from a certain amount of its current userbase and non userbase alike. but thinking it can be done outside of a ‘limited’ special edition mostly for showing off run of cameras, is I think nothing more than blissfully ignorant optimism. because at the end of the day, the majority of consumers expect a certain amount of things for their hard earned cash. and these companies are about making money.
02-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's totally possible. The lens mount might have to move out a couple mm so the mirror can swing but adding Spottie metal to a fully featured APC DSLR would be childes play. If the X100 sells like I think it will, Pentax will be right behind Fuji. Pentax knows where the money is. Rich guys with Camera Acquisition Disorder.

Just for reference here's a size comparison/timeline. My K2 is about the same size as my father in laws' Spottie. Next is my S5, really a D200. That's the best from 5 years ago. (It looks (is) bigger with the body armour). Then my S2. Basically 1 decade old cutting edge technology.
02-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
It's totally possible. The lens mount might have to move out a couple mm so the mirror can swing but adding Spottie metal to a fully featured APC DSLR would be childes play.
moving the lens mount destroys all backward compatibility with all m37, m42 and kmount lenses. thats a no-go no matter how you slice it. it needs to reman 45.46mm in depth. period.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax knows where the money is. Rich guys with Camera Acquisition Disorder.
im no market guru, but im pretty sure that would make up the least of their profits. I was always under the impression that the bottom entry level consumer equipment was what gave companies the funding to pursue the high end more specialized equipment and R&D to trickle back down the entry level big money making models.

02-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
moving the lens mount destroys all backward compatibility with all m37, m42 and kmount lenses. thats a no-go no matter how you slice it. it needs to reman 45.46mm in depth. period.
I don't think that's true. Keeping 45.46 mm to the sensor plane doesn't mean you're stuck with a flush mount.

im no market guru, but im pretty sure that would make up the least of their profits. I was always under the impression that the bottom entry level consumer equipment was what gave companies the funding to pursue the high end more specialized equipment and R&D to trickle back down the entry level big money making models.
That may be where they make the most money but mark-up is where you make the most profit.

We'll wait and see.
02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Well... the K-5 and K-7 are all metal except for the pop-up flash, SD/battery card door, back panel, and dials/switches. I don't know why those pieces can't be made of metal except for the expense. If someone was really motivated they could CNC some aluminum replacements for the body.
Yeah I know they're metal on the inside, but the whole camera still LOOKS like plastic. I'd just love a REAL chrome and leather exterior, not plastic and faux texture.

As for size I firmly believe that given incentive that the Japanese can make anything in micro format given time. My first digital pocket camera was 3X the size of the one I have now. My first MP3 player 4X. They can do it, I'm sure...
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

This HAS to be a repost!
There are a number of retro Pentax point and shoots
Olympus has a 4/3 retro.
Vivitar has a really retro P/S.

Pretty goofy looking but....Just sayin....They're thinking about it.

02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

02-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I wonder if the internals of a ist series or k-2000 could fit into a gutted Spotmatic body. Not sure I would want to spend the $150+ and time to find out though.
03-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #40
Inactive Account

show me how then. show me how pentax can keep everything and still fit it all into a spotmatic body.
I feel like most of its very unnecessary, do we need all these options? Nahhh.

Least give us the choice of the spotmatic body type DSLR with less options.
03-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Well... the K-5 and K-7 are all metal except for the pop-up flash, SD/battery card door, back panel, and dials/switches. I don't know why those pieces can't be made of metal except for the expense. If someone was really motivated they could CNC some aluminum replacements for the body.
All those rubbery covers are rubbery to help weather-seal the camera. They are easy to open and close and are self-securing. If you had metal covers you would need an o-seal of some kind plus they would be harder to open - they would need some sort of screw (plus another o-seal) to secure them. Those rubbery ones are probably a lot cheaper than a metal alternative might be. They are also secured to the body - they don't fall off when open - so metal ones would need to be hinged as well if they aren't to be separate from the body.

"apart from the expense". Reminds me of the Simpsons where Homer got the change to design the car 'every man wanted'.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia