Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Why not make a Pentax DSLR in the shape of old Spotmatics and 60s/70s film cameras?

Since many people want smaller and lighter, why can't companies make DSLRs in the shape of the old Spotmatics and 60s/70s film cameras?

Obviously the lenses work on these bodies (for Pentax anyway), and we all use those old manual lenses from those bodies, so there is no incompatibly issues there.

Leica still uses this body form already.

Is it that hard to fit all the electronics and batteries, etc into a smaller body?

Obviously consumer vacation cameras have gotten near microscopic.

It just seems that the Spotties, etc. had such a nice, small form factor... why can't we have that again????

It would seem an obvious choice... and I bet we could fit all the electronics inside and still have a FULL-FRAME DSLR!!! Because, well Spotties were full-frame to begin with!

This makes no sense to me, unless it is because the modern world is hooked on big DSLRs... which isn't true... that's why we have PENs, Micro 4/3s, etc...

...which really we should just have FULL FRAME DIGITAL SPOTMATICS!

Thoughts?

02-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We'll see how the X100 does.
02-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they would need to be deeper. the M9 is in comparison to an m film camera
but not by much. may need to be a smaller screen to leave space for the controls needed to operate menus etc (no way would i want touch screen)
the ds was pretty close to this size BTW. smaller than my k7 anyway, and tiny compared to my k10
big compared to my mx (which is almost too small)
02-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Feasability apart, IMHO, the ergonomics and usability of say, the K-7, are a lot better than those of these old film cameras.

02-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yup, too many electrics and a big honking battery (versus a couple of little button batteries) to power it all:

02-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

perhaps a better comparison would be the K10D, which is a full sized DSLR, to a PZ-1 which is a full sized SLR incorporating battery, grip, motor drive etc.

I matched them up and of course the K10D is thicker, but not by all that much, and when you consider the LCD, and the sensor and all it's needs for electronics behind it, it is not too bad. Consider what a real databack would add to a film camera, and I think it would be the same.

Otherwise the PZ1 and K10D are pretty much identical.

Hey, what about a DSLR back for a PZ-1,

You get 1.8000 full frame shutter and 1.250 flash sync, plus full aperture coupling
02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

PENTAX K-5 (K5) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
PENTAX K-5 (K5) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Looking at the K-5 cutaway pictures online, they might be able to reduce the size a little bit, but not by much with the current internals.

It's funny how Pentax has some of the smallest bodies, yet still has to deal with extras inside like shake reduction. Those Canon/Nikon bodies mush have a lot of empty space in them.
02-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd be very happy if we could just buy a Pentax DSLR with a metal chassis again. To me every DSLR out on the market basically looks the same at first glance except for the brand name and sometimes the size. I miss the leather, the chrome. All the basic black molded plastic outsides just bore me after a while. It's like most cars these days. You look down the street and 75% of the cars out there could be any brand. It's all fiberglass, the same 6 basic colors, and only slight variants on the same design. The colors are a nice change but it's still plastic. I'd love to see them make a really classy, retro faux leather model with an all metal chassis.

02-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

like Fuji has done with the x100
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
like Fuji has done with the x100
Yes. But FUJI is $1300 and only 1 lens AND still APS-C. Of course this is just a test model. I'm sure if it takes off, the price will drop and have interchangeable lenses.

One thing I like about FUJI is they emulate FUJIFILM like Velvia, etc.

Pentax needs to do this form factor! Like a K-s for K-Spotmatic/small/special or whatever! It would take off.... us Pentax users love stuff like this.

I'm calling Pentax on the phone right now.... ringing...ringing... yes... R+D? Yes... yes? I'm dreaming? Oh well... for now.

Imagine this form factor in FULL FRAME and able to use all the K lenses!
02-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
You know... why don't R+Ds read forums like these? They'd learn a lot about what we really want!!!!
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'd be very happy if we could just buy a Pentax DSLR with a metal chassis again. To me every DSLR out on the market basically looks the same at first glance except for the brand name and sometimes the size. I miss the leather, the chrome. All the basic black molded plastic outsides just bore me after a while. It's like most cars these days. You look down the street and 75% of the cars out there could be any brand. It's all fiberglass, the same 6 basic colors, and only slight variants on the same design. The colors are a nice change but it's still plastic. I'd love to see them make a really classy, retro faux leather model with an all metal chassis.
Well... the K-5 and K-7 are all metal except for the pop-up flash, SD/battery card door, back panel, and dials/switches. I don't know why those pieces can't be made of metal except for the expense. If someone was really motivated they could CNC some aluminum replacements for the body.
02-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
One day the iPod Nano will have a Full-Frame sensor!
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
One day the iPod Nano will have a Full-Frame sensor!
they seem to be headed smaller there is a new sensor tech in development using quantum technology being targeted at phones

Quantum Technology Promises Wedding Photos From Phone Cameras | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they seem to be headed smaller there is a new sensor tech in development using quantum technology being targeted at phones

Quantum Technology Promises Wedding Photos From Phone Cameras | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
That looks interesting, to bad I could not read the whole article because the site was so annoying, pop ups, page kept scrolling to the top by itself, I have never experienced such a bad site, my word. I do wonder if that tech can help dslr sensors....50 percent more light thing interested me.