Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Oops, I moved the sliding thing with plus and minus behind the eyecup... What is it?

I moved it by mistake because I thought it was a lock to keep the eyecup in place but it doesn't seem to be... Oh lord, what have I done? What is this thing? How do I fix it? Now my image is all bokeh'ed out on my K-7.

02-15-2011, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you have adjusted is the diopter. Turn the camera on, focus on something in a bright location. Then simply slide the diopter back and forth until you see a sharp image. Then just leave it alone.

it's purpose is for those of us who need this to adjust for our failing eyesight.
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pg. 55.
Adjust for sharpest display of information in the viewfinder.
02-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's the diopter adjustment to correct for any vision (far sighted or near sighted) that your eyes have. Point the camera at a well lit blank background and adjust it so the lines on the focusing screen appear sharp.

02-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
What you have adjusted is the diopter. Turn the camera on, focus on something in a bright location. Then simply slide the diopter back and forth until you see a sharp image. Then just leave it alone.

it's purpose is for those of us who need this to adjust for our failing eyesight.
Thank you so much, I didn't not know this existed, does this mean I can shoot without my spectacles now?
02-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite possibly. It will correct for myopia and hyperopia, but not astigmatism.
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I find it easiest to try to get the data line below the focussing screen to be as sharp as possible and ignore the actual image.

02-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Thank you so much, I didn't not know this existed, does this mean I can shoot without my spectacles now?
Yes to a certain degree. It really depends on your eye sight. If you have terrible eyesight you will need a different diopter. The standard one isn't strong enough for those of us that have really bad eyesight.
02-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
I moved it by mistake because I thought it was a lock to keep the eyecup in place but it doesn't seem to be... Oh lord, what have I done? What is this thing? How do I fix it? Now my image is all bokeh'ed out on my K-7.
the best way to adjust it is with out a lens fitted ,you only see the etched lines in the viewfinder and you can move the plate to suit your eye with or without glasses. bTW if your glasses are correct the slider will be pretty much in the centre. oncr you have found your optimal position stick it there with a tiny piece of sellotape etc.

wether you do the setting with or with out glasses depends on how much you wear glasses and for what reason, near/distant/both.
rule of thumb would be if you normlly in a snap shot of that instant event ,
for example if your aunt was falling out of a tree you would leave you glasses on? then set the camera that way, but if you had to put them on specially to see her fall in full detail then set it with out!!
02-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Quite possibly. It will correct for myopia and hyperopia, but not astigmatism.
I found it the hard way. I got scared the first time I moved the adjusting lever. Then I read the manual to find out what it was. I try to use it without my glasses and it did not correct my astigmatism. It is good feature if you need a little power boost (like when you need a light reading glasses).
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
I found it the hard way. I got scared the first time I moved the adjusting lever. Then I read the manual to find out what it was. I try to use it without my glasses and it did not correct my astigmatism. It is good feature if you need a little power boost (like when you need a light reading glasses).
and if you need stronger adjustments pentax makes several strengths of the m lens correction adapters (don't know why they couldn't call them diopter adapters)
mine is a +3 same as my prescription, and as my eyes fail more i have about another +1 built in before i revert to glasses (and search for an eyecup i like that will work with glasses)

best way is as mentioned no lens on and focus the framelines in the finder
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Yes, reading the manual can be very instructive.
02-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Yes, reading the manual can be very instructive.
+1
Some people read the manual before they use any sort of equipment, others turn to them only when in trouble! Reading first means we get the best out of the equipment and don't find 'new' features (by accident) years down the track.
02-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
find 'new' features (by accident) years down the track
Which is why as soon as I buy anything, especially electronics, especially cameras, I download from the manufacturer's website a copy of the manual or instructions in pdf format.
I know when I "discover" something it will be shortly after I misplaced the paper manual!
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pg. 55.
Adjust for sharpest display of information in the viewfinder.
That is the way I do it. Independent of lens, lighting, subject. I focus the digits on the bottom of the display, often after half pressing the shutter to get them to light up.

To mention something new to the thread....

I have four K1x0D cameras. All have the diopter slide one click left of center. This is amazing consistency between cameras and helpful to know. If I knock the slide askew I no longer need to focus, I just set the lever back to 1 notch left of center.

If you find the setting that matches your eyesight then you can make note of it for future resetting.

BTW: My first evening with a DSLR (K100D) I was using an old manual Sigma 70-210 from my K1000 days. I did not realize the slider was bumped toward one end and not knowledgeable to realize it. Of course every photo was blurred!