Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #16

wow. i have the exact same problem as well. my battery light keeps flashing no matter what kind of batteries I use. I also tried cleaning the compartment to no avail.

Did anyone actually solve their issue?

12-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just say Lithium

In my experience it comes down to one word LITHIUM
Yes, they are more expensive, Yes, you can only use them once and more importantly Yes, they last ages and show a full charge for a long long time. I have given up trying NiMh's - I would rather pay a bit more and be confident that the Lithiums will 'do the business'
01-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #18

Battery Issue

I have also had this battery issue for a while. I gave up on rechargeables but was having the same problem with brand new Duracels. Whatever batteries I put in the camera I just got a flashing battery message and could not use the camera at all. To be quite honest, I had come to the conclusion that the camera was faulty.

I saw the comment above about using Lithium batteries and had a go with them, with the same result. Elsewhere on here I saw an item about upgrading the bios of the camera to by pressing down on the menu button when turning on the camera.
I obviously could not do that as I there was no power in the camera but I played about with the controls for a while and found that when I turned on the camera while pressing down on the erase button, the camera burst into life and displayed full battery power.
01-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I own an *istDL and first used Kodak 2400 mAh NiMH batteries and loved them. The first set lasted over a year, but on the second set, after about 6 months, they almost immediately showed 1/2 depletion after only a few shots. I am now using Energizer NiMH 2300 mAh and seem to be getting good results.

01-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #20
Site Supporter

problem with ist dl

well i too have an ist dl which i brought from ebay i have it for 9 months, i have changed 3 sets of rechargeable batteries (none hybrid ones), never did the batteries last over 2 days, when i hear from my friends that their batteries in dslr cameras last over 2 months i am suer there is some problem with camera, thought maybe it was dust so one day took guts and opened the camera it did not solve the problem. guess it is wired to read voltage wrongly do not know a solution hope someone comes out with one.
the same battery do reflect as fully charged on other camera, point and shoot digital samsung, thus i guess the problem is generic to pentax, wonder if pentax can provide some self help solutions.
It is really painful when one is travelling and moreso way beyond, i never use my ist dl for an impromptu shoot as i know for sure there will be no juice as reflected in the camera
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uttam.hathi Quote
i have changed 3 sets of rechargeable batteries (none hybrid ones)
There's your problem with there, then. Buy hybrids and your problem goes away the moment you open the package, as has been explained over and over in every single one of these threads on batteries.

QuoteQuote:
the same battery do reflect as fully charged on other camera, point and shoot digital samsung
Yes, that's perfectly normal. A DSLR has higher power requirements than a P&S, so a battery might have enough power for low-demand devices like the P&S but not enough for high-demand devices like the DSLR.
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #22

Battery Issue

Just to recap on my posting of a couple of weeks ago.
I now use Energizer Lithium batteries. They are expensive but worth it.
I have been out several times now and clicked away all day, with no problems at all. When I was using the rechargeables I always had to have a pocket full of them and was constantly swapping them over.
I will see how many shots I get with the one set of four and report back when I have to swap them.
02-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
A DSLR has higher power requirements than a P&S, so a battery might have enough power for low-demand devices like the P&S but not enough for high-demand devices like the DSLR.
That's undoubtedly true for new P&S, but my K-x gives markedly better battery performance than my old, indeed ancient, Minolta DiMAGE V P&S.

02-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ckbboy Quote
I own an *istDL and first used Kodak 2400 mAh NiMH batteries and loved them. The first set lasted over a year, but on the second set, after about 6 months, they almost immediately showed 1/2 depletion after only a few shots. I am now using Energizer NiMH 2300 mAh and seem to be getting good results.
All rechargeable batteries eventually turn into junk, some faster than others. Inappropriate treatment will also hasten their demise.

It seems that any AA NiMH battery with capacity over 2100 mAh has a high chance of turning into junk by developing "rapid self-discharge syndrome" (RSDS). My first experience with this was with Lenmar branded 2300 mAh cells. The new Energizer 2300 mAh might be better in this regard (I have a set that are working well so far). All cells I know of higher than 2400 mAh have a bad reputation for developing RSDS sooner rather than later. Since there are 4 cells in a camera, the chance that at least one of them becomes bad is 4 times higher (approximately).

NiMH batteries can also be worn out prematurely by over-discharging or over-charging.

An NiMH battery should never be discharged completely. This will seriously reduce its life. An NiMH battery should never become reverse (negatively) charged. This will basically destroy it. Either of these can happen inadvertently if one of the four cells in a camera is somewhat weaker than the others (basically, always) and the others are strong enough to keep the camera powered until that happens. It's far better to avoid any possibility of this by removing batteries from devices that aren't used for long periods of time, and by not using the batteries until they are completely exhausted and the camera turns off. Any "memory" effects in NiMH batteries are completely negligible compared to this risk. If you would still like to periodically discharge your cells completely, buy a charger with the capability to safely discharge cells individually.

Remember Goldilocks? Charging too slow or too fast can also result in over-charged / cooked batteries. Just right is between 1 and 2 (even 3) hours, although some chargers can properly charge pairs of batteries by splitting the charge across two cells (many do not, charging the two cells in series, which is bad). Any charger that can charge any number of batteries (1, 2, 3, or 4) at a time and that is neither too fast nor too slow should be fine. A bad charger will not destroy your batteries immediately, but will turn them into junk more rapidly than a good charger.

There's a lot more detail on the web. In order to be relatively brief, the above glosses over some finer points. My object was just to give a general introduction to appropriate TLC for NiMH batteries.
02-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #25

I've tried several brand of rechargeable, and Eneloop seems to be a good choice for my *st-dl and K200d. I have used a set of eneloop battery for consequent two month, up to about 800-900 shots. I have also shot 1200 pics. (most under sunlight, w/o flash) in taiwan. Don't look for high capacity cells. I have tried GP, duracell and eneloop. Eneloop and Duracell with low capacity (1600mAh) are good choice.

Certainly, this is an message from Hong Kong, I may not have chance to trh some other brand mentioned in the thread due to the availability.
12-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Hi Guys,

I've tried all the methods mentioned here and none worked. The Alkaline battery of coz doesn't work at all. And recently I found that it doesn't take any of my rechargeable batteries either. I was desperately trying different combinations until I found out this. If I press down the "flash" button" when I turn the camera on. The battery comes to live immediately. Even for my Alkalines. I'm so happy!
12-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

undocumented tricks!

Thanks for reporting that trick to make your *ist work!

It made me think of a question though, and this is open to anyone who wishes to answer. Can one mix a 2000mH Ultra Low Self Discharge (aka, Eneloops) NiMH with a higher than normal rechargeable, like the new NiZn which have a topped-off (fully recharged) voltage of about 1.8 volts??? Not good at electrical calculations but someone in another thread mentioned that the low threshold of a Pentax DSLR was only 1.15v, very close to the 1.2v of the Eneloops and other ULSD NiMH's. All it would take to cause startup problems with 4 ULSD NiMH's would be if one of them was slightly deficient. I know I have tried Kodak (Chinese made) and they were terrible. Would not power up the K100D Super right away, and when it did, could not last more than half the shots what the Eneloops deliver.

Would pairing up two Eneloops with two NiZn give the starting voltage a boost without posing a danger with presenting to the circuitry too much initial power?? What happens when one has two 1.2v and two 1.8v batteries in a circuit to a DSLR???

The NiZn's (supposedly) have a similar "charge retention" compared to ULSD NiMH's:

http://www.greenbatteries.com/nizn.html

So, in my simplistic thinking, the two pairs of different type batteries would drain down together somewhat evenly.

Maybe someone smarter than me could answer this......

I might just try it but I don't own any NiZn batteries yet.

GA

Last edited by goldenarrow; 12-25-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: web site quote
12-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
It made me think of a question though, and this is open to anyone who wishes to answer. Can one mix a 2000mH Ultra Low Self Discharge (aka, Eneloops) NiMH with a higher than normal rechargeable, like the new NiZn which have a topped-off (fully recharged) voltage of about 1.8 volts???
It is generally not advisable to mix batteries of different types.

Although it may seem logical to obtain the voltage needed -
the main problem is that batteries with higher voltage/potential will end up "charging" the lower voltage batteries - with reverse current -
this is not only bad for the batteries - it may actually be dangerous.

Reports of exploding batteries are often due to a battery in the series being at abnormally low charge.

Personally I would not risk it -
it is potentially dangerous to
the batteries, camera
and possibly to oneself.
12-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
It is generally not advisable to mix batteries of different types.

Although it may seem logical to obtain the voltage needed -
the main problem is that batteries with higher voltage/potential will end up "charging" the lower voltage batteries - with reverse current -
this is not only bad for the batteries - it may actually be dangerous.

Reports of exploding batteries are often due to a battery in the series being at abnormally low charge.

Personally I would not risk it -
it is potentially dangerous to
the batteries, camera
and possibly to oneself.
+1, don't mix battery types!
12-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Oh! Did not know about not mixing battery types. As a dumb consumer, I expect things of the same size and shape to be able to mix as needed, but I guess not in this case. Thanks for the heads-up and explanation!

GA