Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Using a iPentax st DL and use Energizer Ultimate Lithium - non rechargeable batteries. They are the only ones that seem to last.

I've never had success with the Energizer rechargeable batteries - I bought a few rechargeable sets, all drained in very little time, as mentioned on his thread.

09-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #62

I joined this thread some months ago as I had been having all sorts of problems with low battery messages. I had used a variety of batteries and used to have a pocket full of rechargeables as they would often need changing during the day, after only a few shots. After reading through the posts I went for the highest spec I could find; Energizer Ultimate Lithium Digital, specifically recommended for digital cameras. I have to say that this has paid off. I estimate I took over 1000 photos before a change in batteries was required.
09-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you are finding you aren't getting hundreds of shots from your rechargeables, you must be ignoring the overwhelming advice to try Eneloops or other low self-dischrge models.
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't find batteries last too long on my *ist DS, but maybe my average use is more that others' average use.,,,,and yes I have a charger that does each cell separately. I do think, as has been mentioned, that dirty contacts can be part of the problem.

05-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #65

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me resolve my battery issue. I had tried 2 sets of brand new alkaline batteries to no avail. TodayI went to Wally's World to see if I could spot the magical Eneloops (which they don't carry - no big surprise). Someone had mentioned the Rayovac Ready-To-Use rechargeable - and it fired right up. I have ordered another camera - thinking that would be better than the hassle and expense of a repair service. Luckily the one I ordered is blue...my wife's favorite color. :-)
10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #66

Pentax ist DL Battery Contacts

Good day Mangusta

I really hope that you are still a contributor to this forum as I seriously need your help. I bought my wife a Pentax ist DL a few years ago and we are also struggling with batteries (alkaline/lithium/rechargeables etc) that simply will not power this unit. It is most frustrating to see the display panel always showing a "battery empty" message.

We are from Cape Town and will certainly be willing to compensate you for any help that you may be able to offer.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards
Dirk du Plessis

Our email address is: dirkmariette@gmail.com
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dirkmariette Quote
Good day Mangusta

I really hope that you are still a contributor to this forum as I seriously need your help. I bought my wife a Pentax ist DL a few years ago and we are also struggling with batteries (alkaline/lithium/rechargeables etc) that simply will not power this unit. It is most frustrating to see the display panel always showing a "battery empty" message.

We are from Cape Town and will certainly be willing to compensate you for any help that you may be able to offer.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards
Dirk du Plessis

Our email address is: dirkmariette@gmail.com
My DL has the same problem as yours. Easy solution is to buy Eneloop batteries and a good charger for the batteries.

10-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #68

Pentax ist Battery contacts

Thank you GP 1806... will give it a try
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #69

Hello, thread revival! So I purchased a used (circa 2004?) *ist DL early this year and have been using it with a set of then new energizer Lithium 8X batteries. I have filled a 2GB card and then part of a second one until Sept when i saw low battery signals for the first time. It has been solid. I went to Walgreens and purchased the same enegizer lithium battery but the '9X' version. Camera would not power back on, showing flashing battery empty on display. So I find myself at this thread after a google search and see all these great insights and answers. I cleaned my contacts (note: some of the gold coating on the battery contacts has blistered off on mine and rubbed off with the pencil eraser), made no difference. I went and found to dead Alkaline batteries that were in an old incandescent flashlight, and an unused pair of Duracell alkalines. I mixed them together and BAM the cameral fired right up and instantly was full battery showing on the screen. Flash works, fast recovery etc.. It has led me to think that these new lithium batteries are too powerful for this camera based on the comments on this thread from the EE types. The evidence of the blistering of the gold coating on the battery contacts has me wondering about the lithium batteries and thier power levels. Any one that can shed some light on this information would be appreciated. Camera is working fine on the crap batteries. thx
10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #70

After a few power ups and pictures and flashes, plus sitting overnight, I replaced the old alkalines with the new set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium 9Xs and Viola! everything back to normal....Wierd.
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Morpheous Quote
After a few power ups and pictures and flashes, plus sitting overnight, I replaced the old alkalines with the new set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium 9Xs and Viola! everything back to normal....Wierd.
There is a possibility that this is a case of passivation of lithium cells -
it seems they can kind of go into a "dormant" state and may need a sort of kick-start.

See earlier Post #44 in this thread.
[PDF] Passivation of Primary Lithium Cells
12-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #72
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mangusta Quote
Hi Widleaf

Sorry for the delay, I was away for a while. To answer your questions:

1) Some batteries has a better "flywheel effect" than others. As I have explained, the microprosessor only takes samples of the batt voltage now and then. It is more concerned about the sudden drop in batt voltage when it is switched on than in a steady state lower voltage, which it should not be. By pressing another button when switching on, it seems that this sudden drop is cushened out a bit.
2) This is the same issue.
3) Capacitors is widely found in many electronic devices, equipment and electronic shops.

A cap will give that flywheel effect to filter out that sudden voltage drop. It should have it inbuild, and I am sure it has. I have add a small 470uF 6.3V Electrolytic cap to my ist DL by soldering it to the battery contacts inside the camera. The space is limited. The cap's fisical size is determined by it's uF value and its voltage rating. One should not go lower than 6V which is the battery voltage. One can go higher than 470uF if it will fit, or connect 2 of them in parallel. Polarity is important. A Ceramic type cap has the least leaking current, but the highest uF value it comes in is about 100uF, but one can connect as many as you like in parallel. Look for GRM series. I am not sure what the lowest uF value is which will cure the problem, but I would suspect a 100 to 220uF.

Bigest problem though are to open and close the Pentax without breaking or losing something. Some tips: The cap or caps must be added at the top of the camera where the batt contacts are, so start stripping at the top. And mark or document every screw's position. There is some unused space in the camera between the batteries. One can use 2 thin insulated wires from the battery terminals to mount the cap remotely and glue them to the plastic. Hope this helps!
Mangusta
I have just read your comments regarding the 'flywheel' effect of a capacitor. Would this also apply when installing new batteries; I have found that when i install new batteries the indicator shows empty and th ecamera won't switch on; having left it for a time it then all works. However even that does not sem to be working now, and I wonder if the capacitor could be at fault
Robin Olivier
12-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #73
Inactive Account

Thank you Mangusta. I will experiment and let you know the outcome.
Hane a happy and peaceful Christmas

Robin Olivier
03-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #74

Photos: Albums
Hi

Thanks Mangusta

i'll try the Caps'mod

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/216822-ist-dl2-pro...p-battery.html
03-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #75

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a quality battery charger - one with a discharge feature. This alleviates the memory of NIMH batteries.

When you remove the batteries from your camera they are not fully discharged, they are only discharged enough to not power your camera. The repetitive recharging when not fully discharged deteriorates the battery capacity.