Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

*ist DL and batteries?

Hi.

I've been using a *ist DL for about a year and a half. The batteries I use are Energizer rechargeable. I know they're run of the mill, but they're pretty much the only kind you can get here in the country I live in (in the Mid East) that are also available in the States. To be honest, I'm not sure if higher end rechargeables are even available here (or if they are, they probably cost an arm and a leg).

Two days ago, I was taking some photos when the camera suddenly switched off. It showed a blinking empty battery icon. I went out to a store and got some cheap-o AA's, and it didn't even power up (it was a major holiday, and it was the only store open, but I wasn't expecting it not to even power up).

I recharged all 8 Energizer batteries that I have. When I put them in the Pentax, it does the blinking empty battery thing. If I put them in my Olympus P&S (which is a battery eating monster), it's fine.

I don't know what to do now. Is this a common problem with the *ist DL? A battery problem? (I'd say the batteries are between 9 mos and a year old). I don't want to spend a lot of money and time hunting down chichi batteries if it is a camera problem. If it's a camera problem, I don't even know what I'll do. I don't even know if there is anyone here who can fix this, and if so, how much it might cost. Any help, advice is appreciated.

10-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #2

If you didnt try the other AA's I would say maybe your batteries just gave up... I use energizers [ 2500mAH ] and they normally die on me after 9months or so with above average use.

Thanks
10-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I will try getting another set this week and trying them out.
10-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #4

If that doesn't work maybe send it into to your local Pentx office. But most likely the cost of repairing it if it is damaged would come close to buying a K100D new or an old *ist model used in good condition.

Thanks

10-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
to tell you the truth I stopped using high end rechargeable batteries. I have switched to Ray O Vac hybrid. These are rechargeable but the cost for 4 is only $8.49 USD at Walmart. I have used the, in my DL for the past year and it still amazes me as to how many shots I get from a set. I only lose about 10 shots off max when I recharge them. I keep 3 sets at all times and I have never had any battery problems with the DL. when i used high end rechargeable I did have the type of problem you mentioned. try lowering the minh to around 2000 or 2100 there is no difference in the way the camera operates and you will find you will be getting about 75% more shots to the battery charge.
10-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
to tell you the truth I stopped using high end rechargeable batteries. I have switched to Ray O Vac hybrid. These are rechargeable but the cost for 4 is only $8.49 USD at Walmart. I have used the, in my DL for the past year and it still amazes me as to how many shots I get from a set. I only lose about 10 shots off max when I recharge them. I keep 3 sets at all times and I have never had any battery problems with the DL. when i used high end rechargeable I did have the type of problem you mentioned. try lowering the minh to around 2000 or 2100 there is no difference in the way the camera operates and you will find you will be getting about 75% more shots to the battery charge.
It would appear that there is probably a "family trait" of being fussy about batteries in the Pentax *ist DL and the K100D - see current threads -

K100D battery peroblem

K100D - "Low-Battery" Problem -

see in particular Post #49 (link) by SteveB on the K100D.

A common problem is that if only one battery is damaged or under-performing - the whole set shows low or inadequate power in the Pentax (K100D).

Even when the whole set of NiMH rechargeable batteries is fine -
one of the main complaints of NiMH is their high self-discharge rate - often people return to their cameras some months later to find the batteries flat.

Regular NiMH lose about 15% of their charge in the initial 24hours, then tapers down to about 15% every 30 days thereafter (ref: BatteryUniversity.com) - so they lose about 30% of their charge in a month (~45% at 2 months, and ~60% at 3 months).

The current trend seems to be to use LSD (see 5.1.1 Low Self Discharge Batteries at Wikipedia) batteries in the K100D - such as eneloops, RayOVac Hybrid, Kodak Pre-Charged (all 3 of these are reasonably easily obtainable - eg: WalMart has all 3). The LSD batteries have lower capacity (2000-2100mAh) but hold their charge a lot longer (to about 70-85% in a year)

Eneloops are the most popular because of name recognition - but reports on others are all favorable - but beware these are all relatively new on the market.

The cross-over point between 2000-2100mAh LSD batteries (like eneloop, Hybrid, or Kodak Pre-Charged) and higher capacity regular 2500-2700mAh NiMH is about 30 days - ie: on par at about 30 days.

My personal "strategy" is to use freshly charged high capacity NiMH ~2500mAh when I know I have to shoot a lot over a short period of time and keep a set of LSD batteries (I use the Kodak Pre-Charged mainly because they are cheap) as back-up/spare.

If I am not going to use the camera for a while - I then keep the LSD/Kodak Pre-charged in the K100D so it's always ready to use, without notice. Plan to do a top-up charge of LSD's about every 6 months.
10-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #7

Battery Problem with *ist DL

I'm having the same problem as UmmZaid. all of a sudden, no matter what battery I use, (2500mAh rechargeable or new alkaline AA), I get the "low power" blinking battery light and am unable to shoot or view pictures. I've checked the battery compartment for corrosion or broken connections and all seems to be clean and connected.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The secret is to buy a charger that charges each cell individually, most chargers charge batteries in pairs, this works fine if batteries are matched, but they rarely are, one gets fully charged which inhibits the other and the battery pack is only as strong as it's weakest link.

This is the one I bought a few years ago for my DS and is still in regular use, you can see the separate batteries charging and some, even of the same type, often take longer than others. When it's finished ALL the batteries are fully charged.

Fast Smart Charger, for AA & AAA NiMH, LCD display on eBay (end time 24-Nov-09 20:09:35 GMT)

Usual disclaimer, just a happy customer.

Chris

10-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The secret is to give up on the notion that alkalines will ever work, and to stop wasting money on more 2500mAh cells, but instead get the batteries that pretty much everyone agrees work best: the "hybrid" rechargeables like Eneloops, or non-rechargeable Energizer Lithiums. Don't even bother trying to get any other battery to work. I mean, you might get lucky, but there's no sense complaining if it it doesn't work. Hybrids and lithiums work great So do Nizn rechargeables, supposedly. Nothing else is worth the effort of trying. They might work in other cameras that don't have such high power demands as your DSLR, but that doesn't mean they'll have enough juice for your DSLR.
10-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The secret is to give up on the notion that alkalines will ever work, and to stop wasting money on more 2500mAh cells, but instead get the batteries that pretty much everyone agrees work best: the "hybrid" rechargeables like Eneloops, or non-rechargeable Energizer Lithiums.
Wise words from Marc - please take heed.

This is an older thread and what I posted ( #6) above is still basically true -
but I have since found that even among the good LSD (low self discharge) batteries there is a noticeable difference -

Basically the short version is the eneloops are superior over the long term -
please see Post #62 in k100d battery recommendation
and a more updated version in Post #28 of K200D Battery Meter Problem

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-28-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adjusted links...
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #11

I have found hi-cap NiMH to be a hit and miss. I have 3 sets of 2700mAh Sanyo's and 2 sets have very short life. But 1 set works very well and even have very long shelf life; I can leave it in the DS and DL for a long time and the battery still holds up. I believe when the manufacturers push the design for the higher capacity like 2700mAh, the chemistry or something must be unstable.

Eneloops work very well for me.

I also recommend the BC-700 charger from LaCrosse. Very good charger.

Actually, when I travel, I also use Kirkland AA alkaline from costco and have had good results with them. I don't like to bring the charger to charge the NiMh when traveling.
10-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The secret is to give up on the notion that alkalines will ever work, and to stop wasting money on more 2500mAh cells, but instead get the batteries that pretty much everyone agrees work best: the "hybrid" rechargeables like Eneloops, or non-rechargeable Energizer Lithiums. Don't even bother trying to get any other battery to work. I mean, you might get lucky, but there's no sense complaining if it it doesn't work. Hybrids and lithiums work great So do Nizn rechargeables, supposedly. Nothing else is worth the effort of trying. They might work in other cameras that don't have such high power demands as your DSLR, but that doesn't mean they'll have enough juice for your DSLR.
Thanks for the detailed advice. I'm looking forward to purchasing the suggested batteries and giving them a try. It would be good news to get my camera back in operation with this simple solution rather than going through an expensive repair or replacement.

I'll post my results.

Best Regards,
MDL
10-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by curling2 Quote
Thanks for the detailed advice. I'm looking forward to purchasing the suggested batteries and giving them a try. It would be good news to get my camera back in operation with this simple solution rather than going through an expensive repair or replacement.

I'll post my results.

Best Regards,
MDL
I purchased #CRV3 batteries for my *ist DL. The good news is that the camera powers up and is operational. The bad news is that the battery meter shows the batteries to be only half full. I'm concerned that after just a little use the power will be exhausted and I will continuously be buying expensive batteries.

Does this still sound like a battery problem or a camera problem?

Thanks Again,
MDL
10-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
Forum Member

I used different medium and high cap. NiMH batteries and alsways found ist DL showed them as half empty after a few shots. Nevertheless, I could take like 400 shots with one fairly freshly charged set. For K100Ds however, these battieries were not suitable at all, as it draws much more current, probably due to SR and the much faster focussing motor. Then I tried Sony Eneloop and was mamazed that both, ist DL and K100Ds shown them as full for a reasonable while. Even K100Ds could take around 350 shots with a set, ist DL much more, they hardly run our of power there I found.
10-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #15

Since new CRV3 batteries are giving you this result, you might try one thing. Try wiping the battery contact of the camera with cotton swab wetted (not dripping) with rubbing alchohol. If you open the battery compartment you will see them deep inside the compartment and some also on the battery door. Wipe all gold color metal contacts. Then try with the batteries again.

DO NOT use any abrasive or solvents at any time.