Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An excellent idea!

Great idea Adam to make the site user friendly. Some subjects of great interest to Pentax users can thus be kept updated. Some recent examples: sensor stains and autofocus issues in Pentax K-5. At present excellent input can be hard to find.

02-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it possible to have a direct link from the forums to the wiki, or do you have to go to the "home" page to link from there?
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We'll throw up a link to it later on, but we're also planning to restructure the navigation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Adam, did you seem my recent post?

I'd really appreciate a "yes" or "no" answer to the question of whether or not you can confirm that articles won't be moved/copied to the Wiki, without asking the authors for their consent on one form or the other.

02-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
They won't be moved unless the authors take the initiative or do it themselves. The articles are fair game for reference material, however, if the original author is unable to help.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They won't be moved unless the authors take the initiative or do it themselves. The articles are fair game for reference material, however, if the original author is unable to help.
Thanks, Adam, that makes sense.
02-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hey all,
I have a teeny bit of experience using wikis, so I've made extensive edits to the DSLR pages.

02-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Will non-Pentax specific articles be allowed? I'm thinking of general subjects like Depth of Field, Macro Magnification, etc.
02-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #39
Inactive Account

So far I see no entry for topics like the KAF2 mount and its related details (like pin definitions, disassembly, etc.) Are such entries welcome?
02-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #40
Inactive Account

The topic list so far is almost non-hierarchical; is that a necessary characteristic of Wikis?

For example, the "Lenses" topic includes no subdivision into "Zoom" or "Prime". Can we build in a means to facilitate such subdivision in the future?
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zoom and prime are categories or keyword tags that can be assigned to an entry so it can be organized for display in some hierarchical way, but you aren't locked into the way the author decided to put it there, you can extract the information and display it the way you want.
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The topic list so far is almost non-hierarchical; is that a necessary characteristic of Wikis?

For example, the "Lenses" topic includes no subdivision into "Zoom" or "Prime". Can we build in a means to facilitate such subdivision in the future?
I'm not sure what you are looking at. There is a lenses category, and it is currently broken down into the following subcategories:

Pentax Lenses
prime lenses
zoom lenses
specialty lenses
weather resistant lenses

Category:Lenses - The Pentax Wiki

Any given lens can belong to as many categories as are relevant to that lens. When we add the first such lens, there will also be a category for "third party lenses" (as opposed to "Pentax lenses").

If, for example, you click through to the "Zoom lenses" category, you will see each zoom lens entered so far.

Last edited by patrickw; 02-18-2011 at 08:37 PM.
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
So far I see no entry for topics like the KAF2 mount and its related details (like pin definitions, disassembly, etc.) Are such entries welcome?
Sure, those are important topics. Not just welcome, but necessary. Why don't you start a few pages on such topics that you are knowledgeable on...

Last edited by patrickw; 02-18-2011 at 08:34 PM.
02-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #44

Duplicate Pages

So, some people have started creating duplicate pages on topics that were already in existence. Right now, I am going to list the duplicates, and try to describe the situation. If we can have a discussion that leads to a cohesive strategy to deal with this stuff that would be great.

1. I created separate pages for

-- Pentax DA lens series

-- Pentax DA* lens series

-- Pentax DA Limited lens series

Someone else has subsequently created a new page "Pentax DA Series", which includes all of the above lenses on one page.

The first obvious question is, should all the DA lenses be listed as one series... Currently the Pentax website lists these as three different series (the DA series, the DA* series, and the DA Limited series).

2. I created a page "Pentax FA Lens series", which noted that it was inclusive of the FA Limited Lens series (again following the organization on Pentax's website, and a separate listing for the "Pentax FA Limited lens series", which again noted that this was technically part of the broader category of the FA lens series. Subsequently someone created a page "FA Lens series", which includes all of the above.

3. I created a page named "Pentax digital SLR cameras", with a partial list (7 at this time) of such. Subsequent to that, someone has created another page, "Pentax DSLR models", which lists 4 DSLRs.

Related to this note, should the DSLR's be called "cameras" "models" or "bodies" in the page title? Should the title be for "digital SLR" or "DSLR"?

4. It hasn't been a problem yet but just to point out, the page for the D FA lens series currently includes the D FA 645 medium format lenses. This is because Pentax lists them as part of the D FA series on their website, along with the DSLR/35mm D FA lenses. If you think these lenses should not be listed as part of the same series despite Pentax doing so on their website, this would be a good opportunity to speak up.
02-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #45

Double Redirects

On another note, if you move a page, whether one you created or someone else created, (usually in order to rename it), it breaks the links to the old page. Specifically, it creates what are called "double redirects". The Wiki software will only redirect one time and then the visitor will have to manually click through a bunch of re-direct pages to find the eventual article. I have been going through this week and cleaning up the double re-directs each night. Since I don't intend to do this forever, I'd like to point out how you can do this yourself at the time you move a page, so that the site doesn't turn into a mess as it gets bigger and bigger:

--- on the left Navigation menu there is a link to "Special Pages". If you don't see it, go to the Main Page, where it will definitely be visible.

--- Click through to Special Pages.

--- the 3rd item from the top is "Double redirects." Click it.

--- now what you see is a list of all of the double redirects created by moving pages. If you move one page it would not be unusual to see around five such double redirects (per page you moved), and as the site grows larger this would be expected to increase.

The entries will look like this:

1. DA series (edit) →‎ DA lens series →‎ Pentax DA lens series

--- Click on "edit" (it's a hyperlink).

--- this takes you to the Edit page of the original redirect. In this case, I have changed the name of the page "DA lens series" to "Pentax DA lens series" in order to match the way others have been naming the lens series pages. All I have to do to fix the redirect is make the exact same change in this redirect field. Initially it will look like this:

#REDIRECT [[DA lens series]]

I simply add "Pentax" inside the brackets so that it looks like this:

#REDIRECT [[Pentax DA lens series]]

--- hit Save Page at the bottom of the screen. Voila, the double redirect has been fixed.

--- repeat procedure for each double redirect.