Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k10 firmware for new memory cards?

Anyone know if there is a planned firmware update for the k10 for the newest sd cards? (is it x-sd?)

thanks

randy

02-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is probably pretty safe to assume that there will not be any new firmware features for the K10D with the possible exception of bug fixes. The product was at EOL a couple of years ago.

Steve
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think it is probably pretty safe to assume that there will not be any new firmware features for the K10D with the possible exception of bug fixes. The product was at EOL a couple of years ago.
I would say that even bug fixe will not be forthcoming anymore. A K10D with firmware 1.31 is as good as it is going to get.
02-16-2011, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have a K10D, and I have absolutely no desire for a 64GB memory card. I don't even use cards larger than 4GB. I don't like the possibility of loosing a couple of thousand images with one failed card.

I shoot RAW + JPEG most of the time. I find that the average RAW file is about 13MB and the corresponding JPEG is 3MB, for a total of 16MG. On a 4GB card, I can fit 256 images. That's plenty for me. A 64GB card would hold 4096. If you shoot only RAW or only JPEG, the number get even higher. If I ever need more, an 8GB card will double that.

A 64GB card will hold over 21,000 three-star JPEG's. For many of us, that's ten years worth of shots.

SDXC is necessary for those who shoot a lot of video. Since the K10D lacks that capability, I just don't see the need.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

02-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I have a K10D, and I have absolutely no desire for a 64GB memory card. I don't even use cards larger than 4GB. I don't like the possibility of loosing a couple of thousand images with one failed card.

I shoot RAW + JPEG most of the time. I find that the average RAW file is about 13MB and the corresponding JPEG is 3MB, for a total of 16MG. On a 4GB card, I can fit 256 images. That's plenty for me. A 64GB card would hold 4096. If you shoot only RAW or only JPEG, the number get even higher. If I ever need more, an 8GB card will double that.

A 64GB card will hold over 21,000 three-star JPEG's. For many of us, that's ten years worth of shots.

SDXC is necessary for those who shoot a lot of video. Since the K10D lacks that capability, I just don't see the need.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.
Ditto. The K10D does not have video, so it will take a very long time to fill one 64GB card and the possibility to loose the pictures for a malfunctioning card is greater that a small ones being emptying every few weeks or so. The largest SD card I used in my K10D was a 16GB and it took a long time to fill it up. I used a 8 BG one in my trip to Disney for 7 days and I did not get to fill it.

For all those reasons and the EOL, I think Pentax will not bother to come up with a Firmware update to support such cards.