Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
As a K10D, K-7 and K5 owner, let me share my experience of working with all 3 bodies:

K10D over K-7:
- I like the colours better
- I like the noise pattern better

K-7 over K10D:
- AF is much better, mostly in low light situations (in daylight with static subjects, all AF works well)
- High ISO gives you 2 stops more
- Better and bigger LCD
- LiveView & Movie modes
- All kinds of handy stuff (loads): (auto) level !!, filters, lens corrections, Shadow / HL comp, etc
- Size & weigth
- Resolution
- Dynamic range
- Dust removal now works!
- AF calibration
- Dial locks

K-5 over K-7:
- Colours are like the K10D again!
- Clean high ISO until near infinity
- Best dynamic range
- Touched up interface
- AF even faster, now works in very low light
- Very usable LiveView AF (great for macro)

K10D over K-5:
- Price

K-7 over K5:
- Price

Hope this helps.

- Bert

I think this is a great list of comparisons. The K7 really does auto focus a lot better than the K10, both with regard to AF-S and AF-C (where the K10 is pretty useless). I feel like I get about a stop improvement in high iso shooting over the K10 -- felt like I could shoot to iso 800 with mine, while could go to iso 1600 with the K7.

K10 really has better dynamic range at low isos. As for colors, it is all a matter of taste. I like the look of the K20/K7 sensor better than the K10 sensor look, but that is really a matter of taste.

02-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
K10 has better dynamic range?!?
Oh please tell me this is typo...
02-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input guys. I did it this morning and went for K-7. I'd love to have K-5 but my finances are far too thin for that. Grip wasn't in stock so I got to keep my K50/1.2 (now I will just have to buy split prism screen). I got used body (mint, boxed with 1500 shutter clicks) with 6 months warranty for 230 after part exchange. First impressions are good, AF feels more responsive then K10. Higher ISO? Well I didn't really get chance to test it properly but 800-1600 are not the nicest although definitely more usable then K10. Now I just need to get used to the size and work out few menu things (how to enable auto ISO in Av mode? F.e.) And I think I'll be happy camper. Then later I'll add a grip and possibly split prism screen... Let's what the future holds for me + K-7
02-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I just need to get used to the size and work out few menu things (how to enable auto ISO in Av mode? F.e.)
Hold the ISO button and press the green button. I got caught out too :-)

Enjoy.

02-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks for all the input guys. I did it this morning and went for K-7. I'd love to have K-5 but my finances are far too thin for that. Grip wasn't in stock so I got to keep my K50/1.2 (now I will just have to buy split prism screen). I got used body (mint, boxed with 1500 shutter clicks) with 6 months warranty for 230 after part exchange. First impressions are good, AF feels more responsive then K10. Higher ISO? Well I didn't really get chance to test it properly but 800-1600 are not the nicest although definitely more usable then K10. Now I just need to get used to the size and work out few menu things (how to enable auto ISO in Av mode? F.e.) And I think I'll be happy camper. Then later I'll add a grip and possibly split prism screen... Let's what the future holds for me + K-7
Axel, if money is short, buy the chinese grip: DealExtreme: $54.77 External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR
I have very good experiences with dealextreme.

- Bert
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear. Indeed don't expect completely clean images at ISO 1600 (they just won't be - that's the realm of the K-5), and appreciate that despite the DxO numbers stating a better DR on the K20D/K-7 at low ISOs compared to the K10D, the results from the K10D at ISO 100 are simply smoother - the best there was (as with the *ist D and K100D) until the K-5 came along.

To ensure you get the best ISO 100 results from your K-7, the things to keep in mind are expose the shot right, so as to avoid too much tweaking of exposure in PP, and keep shutter speeds faster than 15 seconds if possible.
02-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash and Bert. I'll keep both advices in mind.
To be honest, I don't shoot much of ISO 100 these days anyway. Most things are 200-800 for my streets or indoors. But I'm pretty sure I'll miss K10's colours oh well, there is always price to pay! But as I said, first impressions are good so far! Let's hope it'll last....
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Axel, if money is short, buy the chinese grip: DealExtreme: $54.77 External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR
I have very good experiences with dealextreme.

- Bert

Bert, does this grip have the full functionality of the real thing?

02-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

It is basically a slightly flimsier knock off, without weather sealing, but yes, it has full functionality of the genuine Pentax article.
02-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

From studying the pictures in detail, I cannot tell the difference between the chinese one and my original.
There have been several reviews of the chinese product on this forum, all positive.

- Bert