Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Forum Member

I live in Fort Lauderdale, and when I was first researching DSLRs not too long ago, I was very disappointed to find out that I couldn't handle different Pentax bodies before deciding. The closest shop that I could find that carried Pentax was in Savannah, Georgia -- not worth the drive. I am originally from Utah and still go there, so I thought that I would try that state. Plugging in Utah for "find dealer" on Pentax's website gave me hope, because at the time it said two different stores carried Pentax. I called both of those Utah stores, and they said they hadn't carried Pentax for a while. So, yeah, it's disappointing.

I've felt like I've had to buy on faith, because I personally know very few other DSLR owners, and exactly zero other Pentax owners, so there was no chance of seeing anything first hand. If I had, perhaps I would have been persuaded to go with the other brands. I basically made my decision based on months of reading internet reviews and the things said on Pentax Forums. I agree with you that Pentax would become much more common if they could even get a camera or two into the stores. Or even one store... just pick one -- Costco, Target, Best Buy, wherever.

I haven't regretted my decision. Now after handling the K-7 and then comparing with the others at the store, at least based on ergonomics and the feel of quality, I know Pentax wins. Really it was the WR and compactness that won me over. At the time I didn't know that it was actually the lenses that matter more than the camera, but I got lucky, as I find myself liking primes, something in which Pentax seems to excel.

02-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

When I venture out of my mountain aerie I'm usually looking at stuff besides people's cameras. What I *do* notice are 1) mostly P&S's, 2) the usual Canikons dSLRs, 3) the odd Sony or Oly or (very rarely) Pentax dSLR, and 4) various film cameras, including classic SLRs, often carried by young people who got them from their parents and want to shoot something other than Ye Same Olde Crappe.

But I generally don't care what other shooters are doing, as long as they don't bother me. Step aside!
02-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
I live in Fort Lauderdale, and when I was first researching DSLRs not too long ago, I was very disappointed to find out that I couldn't handle different Pentax bodies before deciding. The closest shop that I could find that carried Pentax was in Savannah, Georgia -- not worth the drive.
The local camera store is a bit of a disappearing animal in general. We have two, neither of which is stellar, but I think we would have even fewer if my area weren't known as a destination for photography. (The ABQ balloon fiesta is allegedly the most photographed event in the world, and then there is Santa Fe) Holding and comparing the K10d to other offerings was very instrumental in my decision to renew my connection to Pentax in the digital age. I paid $100 more (to a camera store I don't like) to buy local so that I keep that opportunity.