Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anyone else make cameras?

You would think that Nikon, and Canon were the only manufacturers of cameras in the world. I live in Orlando Fl, and ever since I bought my K7, I've been looking at other peoples cameras. Nikon, Canon, and maybe Lumix is just about all you see, and I'm in a huge tourist area. I never see Pentx anything, and I'm really looking. Pentax really needs to up there marketing strategies, and get these cameras in brick and mortar stores. I see no other way they will grow. I completely understand why people go for the other brands if they can't touch a Pentax.

02-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Bricks & Mortar stores are fading anyway - even stores like B&H probably do a high percentage of their business on the internet. Maybe concessions in superstores would be better / cheaper.

Pentax have started marketing again after a hiatus and the new range of cameras (K5, Kr, Kx, 645) looks to be a roaring success (of course they won't hit Canikon's numbers but they are gaining a great reputation and becoming far more visible). Step by step.
02-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Bricks & Mortar stores are fading anyway - even stores like B&H probably do a high percentage of their business on the internet. Maybe concessions in superstores would be better / cheaper.

Pentax have started marketing again after a hiatus and the new range of cameras (K5, Kr, Kx, 645) looks to be a roaring success (of course they won't hit Canikon's numbers but they are gaining a great reputation and becoming far more visible). Step by step.
Just getting a Kx or Kr into Walmart or Best Buy would be a good start. The problem is that you also have to give incentives for the salesmen to push them too. I think that is why Nikon and Canon tend to get pushed so hard.
02-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Whenever I look at a sports show, I see a Nikon ad at some point.

Whenever I look at a woman's show (for lack of a better word... I'm thinking about home design, super nanny, stuff like that) I see a Canon ad.

It's like buying a toyota... it's easy, you can feel confident in your purchase because you're not alone, you don't have to do research or think about your purchase much...

Pentax still cannot ship their bodies and most modern lenses fast enough. They are a marginal player (except in Asia, where they are third, I think) but they are profitable and growing. That's all one can ask for.

02-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have one camera store that carries Pentax. I bought my MX there in the 80s and bought my first Pentax DSLR there as well. The other camera store has a Pentax banner in the window but only carries used stock.

I think the point about the K-x or K-r is a good one, but I think Walmart might be hopeless due to the discounts required. Pentax needs to get its entry level DSLR into some electronics stores if it is to grow in the U.S. Of course electronics stores have their own problems staying alive these days.
02-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

Pentax still cannot ship their bodies and most modern lenses fast enough. They are a marginal player (except in Asia, where they are third, I think) but they are profitable and growing. That's all one can ask for.
This summer I spent several weeks in Spain. Even at the most popular tourist destinations (La Rambla, Alhambra, Mezquita de Cordoba) I was almost always the only Pentax user. The one other Pentax DSLR I recall was around the neck of an Asian tourist in Cordoba. I did get to use some Canon, Nikon and even Panasonic DSLRs, though. I may just have an honest face or I look like a know what I'm doing, but I was asked a lot to take photos with other people's cameras.
02-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

At least here Pentaxes are relatively common (Czech republic). Not as common as the big two, but when I go shooting to the city or for example to the ZOO, I usually meet someone else using Pentax.
02-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Back in India, there is a growing community of Pentax users but most people stay away from Pentax because there is no official presence of Pentax in India. Almost every enthusiast knows about Pentax but no one wants to buy it.

India is a huge market where photography is still not very cheap. The DSLR market is picking up and Pentax is missing big time. Sony is marketing the NEX series really well in India. You see a hoarding on the road every km. All they need to do (in India) is, partner with some local shops and start providing service. People are ready to buy stuff from other countries online too.

BTW I was labeled "Brave" in our local community to purchase a Pentax K-x.

02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
You would think that Nikon, and Canon were the only manufacturers of cameras in the world. I live in Orlando Fl, and ever since I bought my K7, I've been looking at other peoples cameras. Nikon, Canon, and maybe Lumix is just about all you see, and I'm in a huge tourist area. I never see Pentx anything, and I'm really looking. Pentax really needs to up there marketing strategies, and get these cameras in brick and mortar stores. I see no other way they will grow. I completely understand why people go for the other brands if they can't touch a Pentax.
Orlando is a tourist hot-bed, people who don't know the first thing about driving, much less photography. I lived in central Florida for nearly 30 years, and I wouldn't consider most visitors knowledgeable.

I.e., You see 2/3rds of them with the 18-55 kit lens.

At my local car show in NE Orlando in January, I spotted a K100D, a K10D and a K-7, in addition to myself running around with my K20D. Pentax has the enthusiast market, not the photography superstore market.

Pentax doesn't have the resources to bribe Ritz et al.
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Whenever I look at a sports show, I see a Nikon ad at some point.

Whenever I look at a woman's show (for lack of a better word... I'm thinking about home design, super nanny, stuff like that) I see a Canon ad.

It's like buying a toyota... it's easy, you can feel confident in your purchase because you're not alone, you don't have to do research or think about your purchase much...

You can now add TV / Cinema to the high expense list of Nikon / Canon's marketing dept.

Just been watching CSI and it reminded me that every episode features shots of a high end Nikon with all the works (hot-shoe flash / twin arm flashes and big lense) PLUS even quite a few 'through-the-lense' shots ! That's VERY powerful 'subliminal' marketing.
02-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote
Orlando is a tourist hot-bed, people who don't know the first thing about driving, much less photography. I lived in central Florida for nearly 30 years, and I wouldn't consider most visitors knowledgeable.
Never been to Orlando, but I find that's the case in Miami Driving at least.

But you can see a lot of what's described everywhere. My last visit to Disneyland I saw nothing but a flood of Canon/Nikon DSLRs, but not many who really seem to know how to use them. I saw a lot of people with lens hoods reversed in broad daylight, using flash at the wrong instance, basically using their DSLRs like a P&S compact. But hey, it is about sales afterall, and Pentax needs a lot of catching up to do.
02-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Don't Canon and Nikon each have like a 30-35% market share for SLRs? Figure 33% each, and every 2 of 3 cameras out there would be one of theirs. Then let the remaining third of the market fight it out amongst Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc...

And then that's assuming a "linear" distribution of product. In a tourist area, you'll see the most popular brads...probably like the parking lot will be filled with minivans and not 2 seat roadsters, even though we know which is more fun to drive
02-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Just been watching CSI and it reminded me that every episode features shots of a high end Nikon with all the works (hot-shoe flash / twin arm flashes and big lense) PLUS even quite a few 'through-the-lense' shots ! That's VERY powerful 'subliminal' marketing.
In the first eason, Dexter was using a small Olympus camera. Starting from season 2, he was using that huge Nikon setup with that ludicrously large lens and flash...
02-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote

I.e., You see 2/3rds of them with the 18-55 kit lens.

At my local car show in NE Orlando in January, I spotted a K100D, a K10D and a K-7, in addition to myself running around with my K20D. Pentax has the enthusiast market, not the photography superstore market.

Pentax doesn't have the resources to bribe Ritz et al.
There are plenty of knowledgeable, and wealthy people in celebration
Florida, and I have yet to see one Pentax there. I've lived in Orland for 20 years, and
I'm in Celebration 3-4 times a week.
02-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Never been to Orlando, but I find that's the case in Miami Driving at least.

But you can see a lot of what's described everywhere. My last visit to Disneyland I saw nothing but a flood of Canon/Nikon DSLRs, but not many who really seem to know how to use them. I saw a lot of people with lens hoods reversed in broad daylight, using flash at the wrong instance, basically using their DSLRs like a P&S compact. But hey, it is about sales afterall, and Pentax needs a lot of catching up to do.
This was my experience at a relative's wedding a couple of years ago. Their friend had a high end Canon with flash; he looked very professional. I had my bridge camera, the Sony V3 with an external flash. I knew and understood my camera. The friend did not. His photos were underexposed, grainy, or blurred. My little bridge camera produced far superior results.