Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Won't Prodigital simply swap another lens for you?
They would have within the exchange window, but I was not able to use it much during that window (work travel).

02-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Prodigital messaged me back

They will exchange the lens for a 15% exchange fee outside the 14 return clause. That's about $28. Seems the best choice for me.
02-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yet another update

Prodigital looked into my case and saw that I was a repeat buyer. They offered to exchange everything for free as an exception for a repeat customer, even though I was outside the 14 days! I may just buy the DA 70 now and get them to ship my new DA 35 out with that.

This gets two thumbs up for prodigital - so I officially endorse them.
02-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is unfortunate that you had an issue with pentax canada service.

I have had no issue at all with them, although I live close enough that I drop things off for service.

For anything bought in canada, the best approach is to go through the retailer first, because if it does not work, right out of the box, they have an obligation to resolve that issue.

Pentax warranty really only kicks in after you have used the product and it develops a defect after use but during the warranty period.

But regardless, asking to be paid seems wrong,

Note however, it is under most warranties, the purchaser's requirement to pay shipping to the repair center. This is why it is best to go through the seller to get an exchange.

02-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think it's hilarious that Pentax would try to extort money from you to make its products work as advertised.

"Sorry loyal customer, you should be buying our lenses with the expectation that they don't autofocus properly. Making an extremely expensive, limited edition lens function as it was designed and advertised to do is a premiere feature requiring additional funds. In this case we will demonstrate our supreme good will and benevolence by spending 5 minutes adjusting some electronic settings for no fee. Be grateful."
02-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #21

In reality they should pay the customer for pointing out flaws in their QC procedure. That is valuable information.
02-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by firefly Quote
Yeah, I'm okay with the shipping, I was just a little more touchy than usual yesterday after they asked me to pay for the service. Did your k-m and DA14 come back spot on?
They did. The DA14 was BF b4 service. However, I did test it carefully and determined how much compensation it needed b4 sending them in. AFAIK, they have access to the factory software which can program the body to remember the compensation for specific lenses, something we customers cannot do, not even through the debug menus.

Last edited by wlachan; 02-18-2011 at 06:26 PM.