Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is wrong with Pentax service?!

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find any area better suited.

I recently purchased a DA 35 f/2.4, it's a nice lens. However it suffers from some backfocus. No big deal, since the k-x and DA 35 are purchased in Canada and under warranty.

Well it's not that easy. Took me four emails just to get them to reply... the last one sent to a different area (not customer service; however it was they who messaged me back). I was told to ship everything in (at my cost) and they would look at it. I thought that was wrong so called in a actually asked to speak to a tech. This fellow was legit... definitely a tech guy. He confirmed the the k-x can indeed store different AF offsets based on lens ID, but had to be done 'deep within the program', as in service menu I'm guessing. He also said that since this is an *adjustment* and not something broken I'll have to pay shipping and the $80 adjustment fee.

I could not believe my ears.

Currently, I have sent them an email explaining that I bought a product promising certain specific functionality, and it did not live up (the DA 35). Instead of calibrating it, now Pentax has begun the cash extraction machine asking for more money to make it work. Either exchange the DA 35 or adjust the offset for free already!!! It's a warranty issue... am I way off base here?

02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not hearing a lot of good things lately about Pentax Canada service. It would probably void your warranty but some folks choose to do the deep dive themselves.

Welcome to Pentax Hack

There are a number of threads here on the subject of servicing in the service menu..

Yes, it sounds ridiculous to me to have to pay for service on a still in warranty camera.

02-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm not hearing a lot of good things lately about Pentax Canada service. It would probably void your warranty but some folks choose to do the deep dive themselves.

Welcome to Pentax Hack

There are a number of threads here on the subject of servicing in the service menu..

Yes, it sounds ridiculous to me to have to pay for service on a still in warranty camera.

Wow, great link. Thanks very much. I may do just this... considering I'm a software developer it seems right up my ally. Power to the People!
02-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Just remember that you can only adjust as far as the Hardware allows. If something is REALLY out of whack (good technical term, eh?) your results will be marginal at best.

02-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fwiw, i'd send it back and have them exchange it ... at their expense... if you press them, contact pentax directly at customer service and tell them you shouldn't have to pay shipping for a defective product.... pentax needs to realize that service after a sale is what makes or breaks a manufacturer..... a lesson they need to be reminded of....
what ever happened to ' the customer is always right'......??????????
best of luck... dave m
btw... i bought my 35 f2.4 from prodigital for my k-x, and have been lucky so far... focus is fine...
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
btw... i bought my 35 f2.4 from prodigital for my k-x, and have been lucky so far... focus is fine...
I too bought it from prodigital. I have good luck there... and I don't attribute this problem to that shop at all.
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is it possible to just return the lens for a better copy? Most manufacturers I know of require the customer to foot the shipping bill for an item to be serviced, but they generally pay for the shipping back. I don't agree with them wanting to charge you $80 to adjust the lens though, especially if it's under warranty. I would totally look into the debug mode too.

02-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update

After enough b*tching and moaning, they have agreed to perform the adjustment under the warranty as 'a gesture of customer service', however I would still be responsible for the shipping. I'm not going to bother arguing over the symantics of this with them, they're so out of touch I know it wouldn't make an ounce of difference.

I've decided to accept the offer as a workable compromise.
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Won't Prodigital simply swap another lens for you?
02-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by firefly Quote
After enough b*tching and moaning, they have agreed to perform the adjustment under the warranty as 'a gesture of customer service', however I would still be responsible for the shipping. I'm not going to bother arguing over the symantics of this with them, they're so out of touch I know it wouldn't make an ounce of difference.

I've decided to accept the offer as a workable compromise.
Sounds like normal service to me. Shipping is not covered by warranty. Many places ask for a small sum for return shipping, as well, even for warranty work.
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #11

I don't know of any camera manufacturer's who pay the inbound shipping.
This seems pretty normal

jim
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
I don't know of any camera manufacturer's who pay the inbound shipping.
This seems pretty normal

jim

Agree with Jim, shipping to the repair depot is not covered by warranty. I am also not sure if this BF/FF is a warranty issue either. I generally find Pentax service in Canada to be pretty good (and I use them a lot) and reasonable. I usually drop it off to them and they UPS/Puralator back to me and no hazzle at all.
02-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax Canada did this very same service with my still under warranty K-m & DA14 free. I did pay the shipping to the service though. I am surprised they tried to get you paid. Probably not speaking to the right person. I know it sucks when it happens.
02-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm okay with the shipping, I was just a little more touchy than usual yesterday after they asked me to pay for the service. Did your k-m and DA14 come back spot on?

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Pentax Canada did this very same service with my still under warranty K-m & DA14 free. I did pay the shipping to the service though. I am surprised they tried to get you paid. Probably not speaking to the right person. I know it sucks when it happens.
02-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Agree with Jim, shipping to the repair depot is not covered by warranty. I am also not sure if this BF/FF is a warranty issue either. I generally find Pentax service in Canada to be pretty good (and I use them a lot) and reasonable. I usually drop it off to them and they UPS/Puralator back to me and no hazzle at all.
I don't agree. You're correct that it's not a warranty issue - they've told me as much over the phone. However, considering it's an advertised feature that I've considered when paying for the product it's either false advertising or a defect. Defects should be covered under warranty.

If they are concerned with accruing too much cost in offering this service under the warranty umbrella, frankly, they should have taken more care before sending any particular item to the market.