Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How do you pass the time when your camera's out for repair?

I just sent off my K-7 for repair/adjustments to its autofocus yesterday, and am preparing myself for a long and bleak expanse of photographylessness. I've heard turnaround on repairs can occasionally be fast, but I'm kind of not holding my breath. What will pass before my eyes between now and my camera's return, uncaptured!

How do you guys pass the time when your camera equipment is down and/or out?

Maybe I should buy a roll of film for this old slr that came attached to one of my Takumars off ebay...

02-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, back to film you go! Get it scanned at a decent lab and you may be surprised of the quality!
02-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
How do you guys pass the time when your camera equipment is down and/or out?
We buy lenses But seriously, it really pays to have a back-up (well actually, it costs but you know what I mean...)
02-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
We buy lenses But seriously, it really pays to have a back-up (well actually, it costs but you know what I mean...)
I just rediscovered an indestructible Oly P&S I forgot I owned. So... that's something!

Also, is it bad that within a couple minutes of starting this thread I thought about trawling ebay for lenses I don't need and can't even use right now?

02-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I practiced post processing on the photo's I had on file. I read a ton of articles/tutorials on the web and it was time well spent.

Tim
02-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I shot on my positively ancient Petri 35 fixed-lens RF while my Spotmatic was out. I'm a film guy, though, so it makes little difference to me what camera the images are coming out of. If the exposure is right I get glorious, rich, full-frame B&W, or the vivid saturation of slides.
On film, going from an SLR with superb quality to a rangefinder of similar age with equally superb quality is not that abrupt of a shift. There's no mirror shake or DOF preview, but that's about the only difference.
On the digital side, going from a BRAND NEW dSLR to a few-year-old P&S would probably be rather a downgrade.
Picking up your film SLR might help you through, and it might get you into film....
Of course then that body would probably need a CLA. So it goes.
Anyways, best of luck toughing out the next few weeks.
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I would suggest organizing, post-processing and backing up your photos, if not already done.
02-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter

And if you really are "jonesing" with the temporary loss of the dslr, shoot some film and keep a chart on how many times you look at the back to see the image preview.

And if you really want old school while your digital is out you could churn some butter or make your own straw broom.

02-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

Shoot with my second K20 and practice shooting film with no meter.
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I would suggest organizing, post-processing and backing up your photos, if not already done.
This is tedious and yet inescapably wise advice.
02-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
This is tedious and yet inescapably wise advice.
Unfortunately, yes it is. But, it is the right time.
02-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There's something to be said for having an arsenal of backup film bodies. Even if my DSLR fails I need another 5 or 6 bodies in a row to go down before I have to worry about not being able to take pictures.

What manner of screwmount body do you have sitting around?
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just grab one of my other digital cameras
02-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #14

you buy a cheap bridge camera from ebay use it, remind yourself why you like a DSLR, wish you'd taken the pics with a better sensor, and sell it for a profit when your baby comes back.
02-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
There's something to be said for having an arsenal of backup film bodies. Even if my DSLR fails I need another 5 or 6 bodies in a row to go down before I have to worry about not being able to take pictures.

What manner of screwmount body do you have sitting around?
That's a funny image. "Take your best shot! I'd like to see you take us all down!"

I have an ESII which may or may not work properly, and another Pentax film body that I can't identify but which I refuse to ever put a lens on again as I'm pretty sure it lived in a puddle in someone's garage for a couple decades.