Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Wow! $200 viewfinder cleaning

So, I need to ask the guru's something hear.

I took my camera to TuttleCamera out here in long beach. People were friendly and I wanted my camera cleaned. Specifically some fiber is stuck behind the viewfinder. Tuttle camera informed me that they will send it to a lab to get me a estimate and to have it cleaned. I okay'd up to $35, and the man at the store told me it should be around 20 or so. I get a call today telling me to pick it up. I get there and find that they did not clean the camera, and they want $200 to clean the view finder. Does this make any sense? The manager said that he will check with another lab and see what they tell him. I am curious to see what you guys think. Camera is a pentax k-r.

Thanks in advance!

02-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What model camera do you have?

If it is a film camera send it directly to Eric Hendrickson for an estimate (at no risk to you).
02-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kambei77 Quote
I am curious to see what you guys think.
I think
A) It's very over-priced, and
B) I'd look past the dirt :-)
02-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
That sounds crazy. I had some issues in Cape Cod last year (rain, sand, changing lenses improperly) and I had my sensor and complete camera cleaned for $75 CAN. Was there a Bench rate or shipping?

02-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Where is the "fiber"? If it looks sharp or cannot be seen at all when looking through the viewfinder, it rests either on the upper side of the focusing screen or somewhere near the eyepiece or pentamirror. Just pop it out and blow it off. Takes 1 min? If it looks blurry when looking through the viewfinder, it is on the lower side of the focusing screen. Takes 5sec to blow it off?
02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I get there and find that they did not clean the camera, and they want $200 to clean the view finder. Does this make any sense?
Depends on where the fiber is, and what they have to do to remove it. Some parts of the view finder are not exactly accessible, and may require partial dis-assembly to get to where it is.
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It sounds really expensive. I have a K200D and my local camera repair shot did it for free. It took him about 20 minutes. He just asked for a small donation to his local charity.

They were great!
http://www.photo-tronics.com/
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nothing in the viewfinder is going to affect your photos. Spend your $200 on something else.

02-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

So, I need to ask the guru's something hear.

I took my camera to TuttleCamera out here in long beach. People were friendly and I wanted my camera cleaned. Specifically some fiber is stuck behind the viewfinder. Tuttle camera informed me that they will send it to a lab to get me a estimate and to have it cleaned. I okay'd up to $35, and the man at the store told me it should be around 20 or so. I get a call today telling me to pick it up. I get there and find that they did not clean the camera, and they want $200 to clean the view finder. Does this make any sense? The manager said that he will check with another lab and see what they tell him. I am curious to see what you guys think. Camera is a pentax k-r.
Thanks in advance!
May be something on the focus screen which is easy to remove and clean. If you search here, you'll find directions on how to do it. You just need to take it carefully and not do anything to scratch it. It's a 5 minute job - tops.
02-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #10

$200? For 1/4 this price, you can buy a brand new focusing screen with zero dust on it. Install it yourself - takes 5 minutes including the time you spend reading the how-to manual.