Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this too good to be true?

This is an ad that I found on our local craigslist... I nearly wet myself when I saw it.

Do you think there's something wrong with it, does the K100D really not let you access the menu w/out the memory card or does it sound like there's something wrong with the camera that's not letting you access the menu?

I emailed the seller and might possibly be going to see it tomorrow, bringing with me some rechargeable AAs, SD card, and lens.

The ad: "I havethis Pentax K100D camera. This is for the body only. I tested it with 4 new aaa batteries and it lit up fine. Could not get to menu. needs the sd card access it. I'm asking for $[insert price] or best offer. You can bring 4 aaa batteries and test it yourself. Let me know I will be online for a while. This body is worth a hell of alot more than $[insert price]. The lense you can get fairly cheap. Let me know.

The pic is a stock photo of the camera

Here is some of the specs on it.

Optical Zoom: 3x
Product Line: Pentax
Flash Type: Pop-up flash Model
Memory Card Format: MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, miniSD Card
SLR, Professional, 6.1 Megapixels "

02-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just checked - mine does not require a card to access the menu. I had to set the clock, though.
02-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Just checked - mine does not require a card to access the menu. I had to set the clock, though.
Interesting... thank you for checking. Did you have a lens mounted on or no?

Because I know that I can access the menu from my Kx without the card and without the lens... but the K100d might be different...
02-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I would be very careful about this ad and any meet-up. It may not mean much but I don't know of any dSLR that runs on AAA batteries. AA, yes. AAA no. Even if people don't know anything about the cameras, batteries are another thing. I found the ad, too good to be true in my opinion. Stolen?

Last edited by JeffJS; 02-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.
02-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Interesting... thank you for checking. Did you have a lens mounted on or no?
Both ways.
02-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
This body is worth a hell of alot more than $[insert price].
Not if it is defective.
02-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It sounds like it may be possibly be going into debug mode, depending on how it is set up (I think one can use debug mode on it, just like on the K200D and other bodies). In any case, it sounds like it's not his camera, so he doesn't know whats going on. I would be suspicious of whether he came by it honestly.

In terms of the camera itself, I wouldn't be so surprised if the worst case was it needed to be sent in to have the firmware re-flashed or something like that - and in a better case you could possibly fix it yourself.

But as others said, I'd be cautious.
02-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have a k100d, tried it just now... removed the lens and sd card. The camera would just say that no sd card is inserted but i can access the menu just fine.

What the others said, looks shady to me. If the camera were his/hers, they would have explained more about the sd card thing.

02-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I would be very careful about this ad and any meet-up. It may not mean much but I don't know of any dSLR that runs on AAA batteries. AA, yes. AAA no. Even if people don't know anything about the cameras, batteries are another thing. I found the ad, too good to be true in my opinion. Stolen?

Thank you for your help. It could have just been a typo... happens to me all the time. Still, I'd like to at least see the camera and try it out... I hope my dad won't mind me dragging him all the way to Chicago to see it...

That's a possibility... it could explain why it's up for so cheap. Or maybe he knows that there's something wrong with it?
02-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Both ways.
Okay, thank you for taking the time to check for me. I really appreciate it!
02-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
It sounds like it may be possibly be going into debug mode, depending on how it is set up (I think one can use debug mode on it, just like on the K200D and other bodies). In any case, it sounds like it's not his camera, so he doesn't know whats going on. I would be suspicious of whether he came by it honestly.

In terms of the camera itself, I wouldn't be so surprised if the worst case was it needed to be sent in to have the firmware re-flashed or something like that - and in a better case you could possibly fix it yourself.

But as others said, I'd be cautious.
Thank you for your help.

Would you by any chance (or anyone) know what I can do to test it to know if it's in debug mode/how to get it out if it is in debug mode when I go to try it out?

If I try it out and find something wrong with it, I'll ask him if he'd be able to lower the price a bit... even for the $25 I'm sure it'd be worth buying- even if I have to send it off to Pentax to take a look at it... or selling it for parts on Ebay...
02-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Have a k100d, tried it just now... removed the lens and sd card. The camera would just say that no sd card is inserted but i can access the menu just fine.

What the others said, looks shady to me. If the camera were his/hers, they would have explained more about the sd card thing.
Thank you, and yes, I do agree... it does seem very suspicious...

Do you think that even if I couldn't access the menu, would I still be able to take pictures with it if I popped in a card and stuck some lens on it?
02-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

In far far too many cases, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Also another saying comes to mind regarding a great price on something that may be defective..."Shit at any price is still shit".

pardon mon franšais.

Jason
02-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Thank you for your help. It could have just been a typo... happens to me all the time. Still, I'd like to at least see the camera and try it out... I hope my dad won't mind me dragging him all the way to Chicago to see it...

That's a possibility... it could explain why it's up for so cheap. Or maybe he knows that there's something wrong with it?
If you're not going alone, I'm less concerned about it. I could believe a typo if it hadn't been repeated. The asking price, the lack of knowledge, no card, and yes, the battery 'typo' throw up all kinds of red flags. If it's legit, it works, you get it for that price, great. Show us some photos from it when you get it.

QuoteQuote:
Do you think that even if I couldn't access the menu, would I still be able to take pictures with it if I popped in a card and stuck some lens on it?
Every camera I've had (Pentax) you could take a photo without a card. It just won't save it. Take a card with you to make sure it CAN save a photo. As said, shit at any price is still shit (and I'm not apologizing for the language)..

02-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Here's my experience (K200D) for what it may be worth:

- you can enter the menu even without an SD card inserted
- you can enter the menu also without as well lens as card
- you cannot activate the shutter without a card inserted
- you cannot enter the menu if the card door is open (the camera shuts itselff off instantly)

It does seem a bit strange to me though, that the seller hasn't tried to insert a (cheap) card just to see what happens then......

Steen G. B.