Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D can tell temperature?!

I was looking through my EXIF data on flickr and saw a "Camera Temperature" field that said my camera was 15C. Converting that to about 59F, that was what the weather was today. Is this listed anywhere as a feature, I definitely did not know that it could do this.

02-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

it's the in camera temperature. It's usually higher than the actual temperature in winter and lower than the actual temperature in summer as for my k7 and k200d
02-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW...virtually any silicone semiconductor makes a good temperature sensor.
Have seen a number of residential heating/cooling thermistats that use only a diode
for just that.Add a little firmware/software and your in the weather buisness.
Wonder if same info is there for my K20D
02-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

My K20d says 21C for the last photo I took today (yesterday). It was warm compared to where it's been and is now, but no where near that. 12C would have been about accurate.

02-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My K20d says 21C for the last photo I took today (yesterday). It was warm compared to where it's been and is now, but no where near that. 12C would have been about accurate.
Cool/hot...Jeff not sure which way to look at it.Assume it would be internal temp
guess it would show rise above ambient temp with longer exposures and IR(square)
heat loss generated from sensor,or maybe if one shot a bunch in burst mode etc.
Dont have flicr,kinda interesting as Ive never heard of info being available before.

As a note...apps utilizing diode as thermometer offer poor resolution,without code correction
2 deg celcius would be good.

Last edited by BillM; 02-18-2011 at 10:53 PM.
02-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is still mind-boggling to me. I think it is rather sensitive as having the camera in my lap in a warm car brought the inside temp up 4C from earlier in the day. Another cool feature of going digital I guess. The EXIF data on Flickr is very long, some of it is redundant and contradicting though. It will say sharpness in different sections at different levels for the same photo...
02-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #7

Noticed this for a while on my K100D, infact on flickr, at least after editing via acdsee, I get the largest amount of exif data going, it appears to extract everything the camera has, even if it refers to details of no relevence

02-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Cool/hot...Jeff not sure which way to look at it.Assume it would be internal temp
guess it would show rise above ambient temp with longer exposures and IR(square)
heat loss generated from sensor,or maybe if one shot a bunch in burst mode etc.
Dont have flicr,kinda interesting as Ive never heard of info being available before.

As a note...apps utilizing diode as thermometer offer poor resolution,without code correction
2 deg celcius would be good.
I'm sure there is some internal heating going on. The First photo I had taken was at 18C. The camera had been in the running car for awhile.

02-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

(wait until he finds out he can input his name on image files and list it in the copyrights with the K-7)

Dont you just love these cameras sometimes!
Consequently if you adore seeing those 130 lines of data in the EXIF on Flickr, you may want to avoid using Picasa editing software. It will strip most of that away, reducing it to a mere 30 lines. Some of us are not sure why. There are plenty of other software that will not.

And my K10 still often incorrectly list "Pentax 35-135 or Sigma or Tamron Lens" on that property line when I use my Sigma 28-300 DG. But we can't all
be perfect.
02-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Temperature? Pshaw. My little Olympus SW770 includes a manometer, a pressure gauge, which shows submergence down to 10m and elevation up to 10km. So I use it as a basic altimeter. And yes, that data is in the EXIF, along with temperature. Now, if it would only display wind chill...
02-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My little Olympus SW770 includes a manometer
Have an older oly SP-320,will it tell me if its gonna rain Rico
Was able to get a conversion lens adapter for it and fit old vivitar enlarger lens reversed
on front of that,you gave me that ideal.